“Excellent platters on the patio”
Review of La Trocha

La Trocha
Ranked #3 of 57 Restaurants in Atenas
Cuisines: Costa Rican
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had dinner on the patio in the midst of a cooling rain. Wonderful evening. We arrived a bit late on a Sunday, and the restaurant was clearing out by 8:30. They were out of a couple of things - the burnt pork and ceviche -- so my son and I tried to go with steaks and my wife had the garlic shrimp. The platters were huge; three barely fit on our table. The platters included rice, sautéed vegetables, beans, French fries, plantains, and the main course. None of us were able finish our dinners, and my wife brought half of hers back to our bungalow for our son's inevitable morning snack. My son had the filet, which had to be at least an 8 ounce cut and possibly 10 ounces. Beautiful cut and complemented with grilled onions. I had a 12 ounce sirloin with jalapeño sauce, that was slightly sweet and not actually hot. Just an interesting pepper taste. We will definitely be back the next time we are In Atenas. This is now a favorite place.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

La Trocha Was Our Favorite Place For Dinner During Our Stay In Atenas Costa, Rica!!!...Delicious Food And A Wonderful, Relaxed, Atmosphere!!!...Best Beef In Costa Rica!!!...Excellent, Friendly Service!!!...Love The Private, Natural Setting!!!...Makes For A Lovely, Romantic Dinner!!!...Highly Recommend!!!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

There are so many things I love about la Trocha - setting, food, friendly staff. My #1 concern is their wine selection. Frontera was the choice. This restaurant needs to hook up with Shannon Farley and have her deliver some good wine. If we can bring our own, I am back there in a miracle minute.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I have eaten here 7 times (sometimes just us, usually with other people) and out of approximately 30-35 meals among everyone, only once was the food not excellent (steak was a bit too tough and fatty one time in 2010). Remember, this place is in a relatively small town in Costa Rica and is a family business, so if you are expecting the standardization and atmosphere of Ruth Chris', then you will likely be disappointed. Come here to slow down and truly enjoy a relaxed dinner with your family/friends. Knowing just a bit of spanish does help.

2  Thank jhcrystopher
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is by far our most favorite place to eat. They have excellent food and service. It is run by a family and they always are so pleasant and eager to serve you and prepare the food just the way you want it. We absolutely love this place, the owners (the chef is the owner) and the food. We highly recommend this place. One more thing, the location may be a little hard to find on your first visit but it is set in the trees and is only a couple of blocks off the highway. It makes for a great place to sit back and enjoy.

1  Thank Walter W