“Only caters for Germans”

Mastichari Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Mastichari
Reviewed July 9, 2010

The hotel rooms were lovely, we had a beautiful sea view from our balcony (room 826) and the buildings were typical Greek white and blue with bourganvilla everywhere.. Could not fault the staff and the night reception man was particularly helpful when we needed him. The food was buffet style with quite a wide range and was ok. The pools and pool bar were great, except that the Germans put their towels on the sunbeds so you had no chance. However, from the minute we arrived we realised that we were the only English staying there, and we were made to feel it. We said 'good morning' to several guests on our first morning but found that they never smiled and were quite off, to the point of being rude. The day of the England/Germany game the hotel played the German national anthem at around 11.00 in the morning, very loudly, and the entertainments organiser was shouting a lot about Deutschland and put up a German flag - no mention about England at all (as far as I could understand - probably a good thing) He then said that he would do the same for Holland the next day - still no mention of England - You can imagine how we felt after England's appalling display!!! I would certainly recommend this hotel if you don't mind being surrounded by Germans - probably better than a load of English larger louts - at least they were quiet apart from the day of the England/Germany game, and we did get used to it eventually. The hotel is only a short walk from the restaurants and bars, and there are regular buses to Kos, Kardemena and Kefalos. We also took boat rides to Turkey (from Kos) and Kalymnos (from Mastichari). We had to go to the Tourist Information in Kos to find out anything about the island though, as anything in the hotel was in German. Will probably go back to the hotel again - but will learn to speak German first.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Bacardisue

Reviewed October 20, 2009

On arrival in our sea view room, the first thing we did was to open the curtains and sliding door to admire the view....which was trees and no sea! I mentioned this to reception who said that it would be a sea view room if the trees werent there and that they didnt have any other rooms without trees in front of them. The rooms are basic with pretty drab decorations and to say we were self catering we didnt get a kettle, chopping board, sharp knife, teaspoon and a whole host of other things that you might need to make a sandwich or a cuppa. Anyway, it was a very warm evening so we switched on the air con and went out into the village for our evening meal. On our return we discovered that the room was not the cool haven we expected, and that the aircon was not working. I went to reception to tell them about the fault. The receptionist advised me that the aircon only worked from 3pm until midnight and given that it was 1.30am the room had probably just 'warmed up' and that we should just open a window. I explained that we'd paid for it and that it should be turned on. She explained that it couldnt be just turned on for us and that they would have to make the change for the whole complex. When I eventually spoke to the manager four days into the 7 day holiday he said that he would be able to turn it on for our studios and apologised for the lack of sleep we might have had. The rest of the stay was pretty uneventful with the repitition of 'agadoo' and 'I am the music man' each and every night. Surely English and German children have more up to date taste in music? I know I've gone on a bit but this last bit was the final insult....
When we came to pay for the rooms on the last night, I handed the receptionist my Amex card. He also asked for a card to pay for the other room, so another member of our party handed him their card too. He gave me the slip to sign which I did. He then bought the second slip for my friend to sign and I noticed my card details we on the slip. I pointed out the mistake and the man on reception started to ask 'why I mess him about'. I explained that he'd simply swiped the wrong card twice and that he should just refund my card and the drama would be over. Anyway, he tried the refund which he did incorrectly and debited my card for the third time. He couldnt get the machine to work with refunds so I said I would go to bed and that we would sort in the morning when reception were back. I was woken up at 2am with him knocking on the door asking me to come to reception to 'enter my PIN'. I explained that we'd sort it in the morning. After lots of shouting and trying to reason with the staff the day after, we still didnt get anywhere and to this day I don't have my money back. The hotel promised that they would transfer the money into my account on my return to the UK however once I called them on my return they explained that they werent willing to do this. I've had to leave this with Amex to try and resolve on my behalf. So.....long story I know but all I can say is there are lots and lots of apartments in the village many with sea views and many that are of nicer quality than this hotel so please don't waste your money.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
7  Thank captdr
Reviewed August 7, 2008

In many ways staying at the Mastichari is a bit like trying to buy a BMW. You kind of know what you're going to get before you drive it; you are surprised by how little you get in the base package without shelling out on some options and you have to put up with an awful lot of German standards. The good points for me were the service at the restaurant, where the food was of generally good quality and easily available via the buffet service, and the extremely helpful staff. The bad points were all around the blatant penny pinching by the management. We stayed half board which was a good deal - but although the food was free we had to pay for our drinks separately. Want internet access or the key to your rooms security safe ? More money required. But by far the worse offender was the A/C system. Despite being the height of the summer, the Air Con was only available between 15:00 and Midnight. In addition it switched off when you were out of the room or if the balcony doors weren't securely shut. if you came back a bit late from the bar then you often had less than half an hour of cool air before you found yourself waking up in an oven in the early hours.

In general the other guests were mostly German and the Kids club is basically for them only (unless your child is fluent in the language). But to be honest the other guests were very polite and the anticipated stereotypical fight for sun-beds around the pool did not occur.

The location of the hotel near the village (and more importantly the village public beach) is excellent which was just as well since the hotels beach again was done on the cheap with the sand stabilised by a screen of rocks and seaweed.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank chunkyluvva
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We booked this holiday indepedently and had plenty of worries as we turned up at reception, this being our first holiday as a couple we wanted everything to be perfect!! And it was!
We turned up very late at night and although there were some initial problems with the room booking (all my fault!) the night manager Antonios did everything he could to make us feel welcome and found us a room anyway.
The only thing I would say is that we were a bit concerned about the smell in the bathroom, but it seemed to dissappear after a day or two anyway! The room was very clean, although I wouldnt count it as four star; there wasn't a kettle with any tea or coffee and our bed was two singles pushed together, they kept coming apart which was annoying! Also the air-con only works a very odd hours of the day, when you are least likely to be in the room, and will only work when the electric is on...
We have no other complaints about this resort! The rest of the Hotel is definatly Four Star!
Our little balcony had a great view, I think it would be difficult to not have a good view at this hotel, it is surrounded by beautiful gardens! The whole place is very well kept and clean clean clean!
The beach is right on your doorstep and is very quiet which is lovely. There are rocks going into the sea but this did not bother us as they had a long jetty to jump off during the day for a dip in the sea and makes for a lovely night-time wander aswell.
The food at the Hotel is good, although there could have been a few more labels explaining the food, as I am vegetarian I had trouble deciding!
Now onto the staff. They were one of the main parts to our brilliant holiday! Everybody was extremly friendly, we were worried that, being a mainly German Hotel there would be a bit of a language barriar problem or that staff would favour them when problems arrive ect. But not so! All the staff knew some English and we learnt some Greek/German aswell. We made plenty of friends and often spent the evenings having drinks with the staff after their shifts.
The entertainment at the Hotel was very cheesy but so lighthearted and extremley funny! Big cheers for the Childrens Club entertainers, especially Andre and Uri (have a drink with those guys!) they seemed to keep going all day, never getting tired or looking fed up!
Cocktails wernt too expensive although spirits wern't as cheap, when we go back we will go all inclusive!
The village is just across the road and is just as good as the Hotel, the beach isnt busy at all and the sea is blue. All the taverns serve traditional greek food which was brilliant. We especially enjoyed eating at the little tavern right at the other end of the village, poking out onto the sand.
Also worth a try is a place called The Bar which is the first bar you get to as you cross the road out of the Hotel. Its has lovely friendly english owners, but they have live music from greek locals a few nights a week, and also themed nights, Reggea night was fabulous! You can easily drink far too many cocktails there, as they are very good value for money!
This is not a place to go if you love Clubbing every night as there are no close clubs, but we found making friends with the staff helped as the could show us the closest parties/ clubs to go to with them!
This was the best holiday we have been on and we will definatly go back again. The whole area is so picturesque and very relaxed and out of the way. Beautiful!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hcw87
Reviewed March 24, 2008

If you don't expect much you'll be pleased with this hotel. It's ok- the grounds are pretty and the staff are friendly. I thought the pool side entertainment staff were great- they were really funny and i loved their hotel song. The waiting staff in the restraunt were very nice too. I enjoying the refreshing coolness of the pool (a nice contrast to the scorching heat) and the buffet food in the restaurant was nice (although it started to become repetative after about a week). But the downside to the hotel was the rooms which clearly are the most important thing. The air conditioning is controlled by a central system meaning that you cannot turn it on and off when you desire. the 2007 greek summer was abnormally hot (I don't know how much more so than usual) but anyway this was a major problem. The other appliances weren't great either. the fridge doesn't always work and wasn't clean and I'm not one who watches a lot of television whilst on holiday but in between doing things and whilst sheltering from the heat or in the evenings, only having one english channel is annoying. On top of this the bathroom had a horrible smell and the beds were rock hard. I didn't have a night of good sleep whilst staying there. Instead I would recommend the nearby Neptune beach hotel. I've not personally stayed there, nor have I seen the rooms but I stopped off there to get some money and having seen the other facilities it seemed like a much nicer place

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank sarah124
Reviewed October 6, 2007

We booked a standard room only to find that these are actually "ground floor" rooms or in some cases, below ground level. So we asked for a room change and quickly paid a small supplement (28 Euros) to upgrade to a sea view room and had incredible views across the harbour and bay to Kalymnos and several other islands and could watch the ferries and fishermen going in and out on a regular basis. We too had problems with the shower and whilst this was promptly attended to, never totally rectified. The hotel is set in superb grounds with accommodation mainly in 2-storey units throughout the grounds.

The clientelle is mainly german-speaking . The food was of a good standard and served buffet-style. There was always a good choice, even if it was not always labelled clearly. The beach is disappointing because although it is sand, there are huge rocks at the waters edge so they have built a jetty over the rocks to enable you to get into the sea. There were not many sunbeds on the beach itself and as we never got down early enough to get one of these, didnt bother. Just a short walk away is the main resort beach which is sandy, has loads of sunbeds (2 beds and umbrella for 5 euros) and stretches for what seems like miles.
There is a big problem with seaweed in this resort . For our first few days it was fine but then it got windy and piles and piles of black seaweed were dumped at the waters edge which in places were about 5 feet wide and 2 feet high - making getting in and out of the sea an unpleasant experience.
There is no ATM cashpoint in the resort but there is a money-exchange and you can also change money in the hotel.
Would not rate the hotel as 4* but it is an exceptionally good 3* and as we loved the resort, would probably return again

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravellerSouthCoast
Reviewed October 5, 2007

My husband and I have just returned from a weeks holiday at the Mastichari Bay Hotel, Kos (Sept 2007). We had booked the holiday being told it was a 4* hotel - it was not!

The hotel is situated in a wonderful area of Kos and is so close to the airport. Before arriving in Kos I had emailed the hotel twice with certain requests for our visit as we were celebrating our first wedding anniversary during our stay. Both emails were ignored and on arrival I was disappointed with the room they had allocated us.

We spoke to staff at the reception and explained the situation to which they said we could pay 28 Euros for a room upgrade and we had the choice of 2 other rooms. We were more than happy to pay as the original room had no view to speak of and was very small with twin beds rather than a double...

Once we had relocated to a wonderful studio apartment we then found the shower, hairdryer and fridge broken - not the relaxing start we had planned. However, we reported the problems and almost immediately they were resolved.

The main restaurant was of a good standard and was always clean. The staff were all friendly and willing to help where they could. The breakfast gave a great variety of food and I would suggest that there was something for everyone. The evening meal was slightly different in that a lot of the meat was not named and didn't look to be particularly appealing. On the whole the food was nice and we certainly didn't go hungry.

The pool area consisted of 3 pools of varying sizes, many sunbeds, a bar and a snack restaurant. The whole area was well kept and clean. The entertainment team were always busy and tried to involve a variety of age groups.

The beach was just a few steps away from the pool area but was rather poor as you can't actually access the sea from the sand/stones/rocks. There is a pier that has steps into the sea which is ok but I personally prefer white sands which allow me to run into the sea as and when I chose.

The guests were mainly German with only a handful of English travellers. I didn't particularly feel this was a problem but I do like the opportunity to converse with other guests which was impossible on this occassion.

Our experience at this hotel was good but I feel it should be rated as a 3* hotel rather than a 4*. This was the main let down for us as we had expected it to be of a higher standard overall. Other then the intial problems we didn't have reason to complain and our stay was a pleasant one but it just didn't quite hit the mark.

Expect less and you'll be pleased ;)

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LarkManchester
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mastichari
Gaia Palace Hotel
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Dimitra Beach Resort Hotel
Dimitra Beach Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Agios Fokas

Been to Mastichari Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!