“The good side of Greece”

Mitsis Rodos Maris Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Kiotari
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My wife and I live in London and were able to find a very good deal on this all inclusive in Rhodes for the last week of October, maybe because it was end of the season. I am a Greek that left Greece on a one-way ticket 15 years ago for studies, job, etc. I have to say that the time spent at Mitsis reminded me of some of the good things of Greece that are currently overshadowed in the public opinion by some not so good things. The hotel caters almost exclusively to non-Greeks so i had the chance to see it from a "foreigner" point of view.

The biggest asset of the hotel are its people. You expect at a 5 star to have fast and effective service from polite staff but at Mitsis employees behave like you are visiting their own home, they develop a relationship with the customer and make the experience unique. I saw that at reception, at the restaurants and at the beach bar, i observed many visitors that go to Mitsis year after year and have become friends with the staff. Talking about people, i have to mention Georgia and Iordanis at the Varka restaurant, Despoina and Michalis at the beach bar, and Tasos Chrisanthos, the guy that feeds 1200 people every day. Thanks for the "parea" and the memories guys, it was a pleasure meeting you all.

Food was great, decent buffet for all meals that was restocked on time and there were no queues longer than 5-6 people. The Varka taverna had authentic atmosphere and tasty treats from the grill and a decent house wine. The hotel in general was very clean and well maintained. I would recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: We had a bungalow, very roomy, choose a second floor one so you can sleep with the balcony doors ope...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kosmas K
Dionissis T, Διευθυντής at Mitsis Rodos Maris Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2016

Our Hotel becomes better and better ..
2 new restaurants are coming up ( 5 now in total ) . A daytime Burger and an evening “Mediterranean dream”. 600 costumers daily will be able to enjoy their Lunc or dinner at one of our small gastronomic Diamonds ! New facilities will be added as well and a lot of surprises for 2017 !!

RODOS MARIS again & again

Write a ReviewReviews (2,729)

Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days at the end of October and returned very refreshed! We booked last minute and were not sure if we had found a good deal or something to be concerned about. However, from the minute we landed on Rhodes until we left, we kept saying to each other that we couldn't believe how lucky we had gotten. The overall experience was definitely positive.
As an all-inclusive at the end of the season, we were extremely happy with the attention that we received from the staff. While the property was still busy, it was not as crazy as it might have been during peak season. The rooms were kept very tidy and we had a great view. The room decor was a bit dated, but the view more than made up for anything the decor may have been lacking. The room amenities were not replenished daily and that was only very small complaint we had.
The beach was a combination of sand (by the loungers) and pebbles (as you got closer to the water). The water was colder (as one would expect at the end of October), but the sun was still glorious and there were plenty of available loungers. We didn't use the pool, as the beach was such a welcome retreat.
The food outlets were good. I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian and did not have a problem finding enough to eat. You must be willing to ask about food content and to be a little adventurous! We absolutely loved the Varka Taverna and also did well at the main restaurant. We did not try the Chinese and were less impressed by the Greek restaurant.
We enjoyed meeting Despina and Mixalis at the Beach Bar; they were so friendly and pleasant to chat with. We also experienced 5 star service from Georgia and Jodanis at the Varka as well! Tassos (the food and beverage manager) is really doing a remarkable job with keeping the food outlets running like clockwork! We were also impressed with the professional demeanour of the entire staff.
We had an overall very positive experience here and we look forward to returning!

Room Tip: We were happy with 560!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WoodgieLondon

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I travelled with my two children 12 and 14 for the half term week. We had a very good deal (£1200 for 3 of us including transfers etc) and couldn't fault it. We had a family bungalow which was very spacious (double bed and then separated area with two singles) and peaceful. Because of the good weather we spent the first 4 days on the beach, poolside and in the sea. I had taken note of previous reviews and bought some cheap beach shoes to make getting into the water easier. The watersports were still available for this time and very reasonable (12 euros). Beach bar was lovely with toasties, hotdogs etc available throughout the day. The hotel itself was spotless - the ONLY negative thing I would comment on is the number of stairs and the different levels in the hotel - I think I got lost nearly every day!! The restaurant staff were great and we always found something with the food being offered. The breakfast omelettes were great and my children loved the pancakes and waffles. We caught the local bus to Lindos - very easy to do as bus stop just outside the hotel. Took the organised trip to Rhodes Town which was lovely - the old Town is beautiful. If we went again I would probably hire a car to see the rest of the island but this time I wanted to just completely relax. The animation team were very friendly and so hardworking (dare I say better than any British reps I've seen) and made us laugh every day. We ate in the Taverna (along with several adorable kittens .....) and the Greek restaurant which were both very good. As for the birds in the outside dining area I'm not sure what can be done about these apart from a cull! (Honestly, if you don't like birds, easy, just sit inside!) On the whole a lovely week and we were very lucky with the lovely weather. There was one night where there was a spectacular lightning storm over Turkey which we all stood and watched in the hotel outside area - amazing to see!

Room Tip: We stayed in Family Bungalow no 572 - lovely layout with double (almost kingsize) bed then separated...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeanne0050

Reviewed November 2, 2012

There will be a lot of people who enjoy this place but if you have been to a good quality 5 star all inclusive hotel then you will be very disappointed by this one.
Most of the staff are very nice to deal with but a smile doesn't really translate into actions.
The hotel is noisy, the drinks are poor, the bar staff are miserable. The food is bland although the cakes and pastries were excellent.
There were birds flying in and around the restaraunt and also pecking at the food. Having had campila bacta food poisioning on a previous holiday although not here this is not what I would have liked to experience.

The reception staff were poor. Either bimbos or abrupt.
The lift didn't work.
View is excellent
Ambience is non existent

In summary a great place for kids but very cheap and cheerful

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Daisy1312
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Good points:
Rooms were clean
Food was great (even as a vegan i had enough to eat and meat eater boyfriend was happy too. veggies/vegans/any special diets should take food though for the first night if arriving after dinner as only ham and cheese sandwiches available past 9.30pm)
Most of the staff were friendly (although reception was an odd mix - 50% very lovely and suited to the job, 50% need retraining immediately!)
Animation team led some great activities (did the yoga and aqua aerobics with Simona)
All inclusive bar is surprisingly good quality
Good value
Decor is great

Bad points
No let up from the screaming kids! No adult only bar or pool but given the size of the complex this could be accommodated easily
Can't book the canoes and there are only two
Tennis courts and rackets need investment
The gym was shut and needs refurbishing
Mountain bike hire was unavailable
Has a lovely room in the main building but had to move because of the noise from the generators. Replacement rooms in the grounds has ants (everywhere, in the bed, crawling over your toothbrush...)
Pools nice but too cold for comfort. (sea was great though)
Spa overpriced. And bad quality - had one manicure and it chipped within 24 hours

The chain is really good and it the hotel has a lot of good points but not sure about this hotel again as the good points can be found in another hotel without the bad points

Room Tip: Spot on for families. Couples should think twice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kate G

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I went on holiday to the Maris from the 17 - 27th on October last year. I am 14 years old and I visited the hotel with both of my parents. Generally the hotel was excellent in all areas but there isn't much in the resort its self (a few hotels, a supermarket, about 5 shops to buy gifts). We had originally booked at the Village hotel across the road but it was closing 5 days into our stay so we got transferred to the Maris by Thomas Cook.

Food: the range of food was great as there was always kebabs, burgers, fish, a variety of salads, pasta with two sources at dinner and the evening meal along with other food items that change at every meal. Even though I am a vegetarian I still found plenty to eat but in many hotels I find it difficult. The desserts were all nice and there was a good selection with fruit and greek yoghurt available at every meal. At breakfast there was the full English fry up, German breakfast of hams and cheeses, fruit, pancakes, waffles etc. There is a outdoor seating area but beware never leave food unattended when sitting outside as the birds (sparrows) will start eating it if your not careful! There is also a taverna (best pizza and pasta I have ever tasted with it made right in front of you!), a Chinese and a Greek but you have to book for these which may be a struggle during busy periods.

Drink: there is plenty of soft drinks, alcoholic cocktails, wine, beer and sprites. However there was no martini throughout our stay which was featured on the drinks menu but wasn't available which was disappointing as it is the only type of alcohol that my Mum likes. There is a free mini bar in your hotel room which is stocked up every other day with cans of beer, bottles of coke, lemonade, orangeade, soda water and a large bottle of water.

Pools and the beach:
I did not go in the pool during my stay as I prefer the beach but the pool area was always clean and a life guard was always on duty when I had walked past the pool areas. The beach has free sun beds and it's only across the road! The hotel has two free beach bars serving drinks, toasties, ice creams, sausage rolls and hot dogs.

Entertainment: I did not watch any of the shows that had taken place as I was mainly in the Internet cafe. The shows are based in the outdoor amphitheatre but in bad weather it goes inside. There is a mini disco and then the show but sometimes this is a quiz.

What's at the hotel: a jewellery shop, clothes shop, conference room, table tennis, tennis courts, gym (wasn't open), 4 bars, reps desks, 4 restaurants, mini club, spa, lots of sofas, two terraces, 2/3 pools with water slides, indoor pool, snack bar, kids play ground, rent a car (80€ for 3 days when I was there), free wifi, Internet cafe, supermarket, hair salon and 2 more shops. However you can use the facilities at the Village hotel which is over the road but there is also a foot bridge over.

Rooms: the maids clean the rooms everyday so they are spotless. Nearly all the rooms are in blocks of bungalows with some being two floors. There is also some rooms in the main building. However there is ants on the floor everywhere you go including the rooms.

Technology: there is free wifi at the reception area, the main bar and at the Internet cafe. If you want to use wifi in other areas you have to purchase a wifi card where you have to pay to use it (e.g 10€ for 200 mins).

Issues: even though I love this hotel so much there is always going to be negative aspects. If you have a small child or are disabled then you may find it hard to get around as there is a lot of steps with in some cases no ramps. Ants is also a problem but they are all over the island and hotel. It costs 45€ to keep the room on and even then you can only keep it until 6pm! but don't worry as there is a shower in both the women's and mens toilets. There is also only two sets of toilets other than the beach which is not good as if your in the Internet cafe you have to go all the way back to the main building!

Overall: it is a great hotel but its not exactly 5 star in poshness but it is in facilities. I strongly recommend the trip to the city as the old town is beautiful. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel when you turn right which takes you to a variety of resorts or the city. The staff are all really friendly. I would love to go there again next year!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Katie R

Reviewed October 29, 2012

A very nice hotel with excellent facilities. The food was varied, and on some days better than others. In particular the soup was often too cool. The alcohol was poor !! Red wine was acidy, and the white wine more often than not too warm.

A 45 euro charge was made for use of the room on the final day beyond the normal vacation time; and they had the audacity to remove the toilet paper from the bathroom during this extended period. I can only assume that the management have had a problem with the Brits stealing the toilet rolls before leaving !!!

I did have an ant problem in my room which was not immediately dealt with, but a second complaint soon had it sorted.

All the staff were friendly and efficient; much more so than I have recently experienced in the U.K. To their credit no one touted for tips, nor did I see any evidence of punters generosity.

This is a hotel complex for families and the under 50's, and for people who have no objection what they drink in order to get totally pissed out of their minds. This is not really a place for people who have mobility problems; walking from my room to the main restaurant involved negotiating 49 steps in each direction; and the aditional journey to reception a further 30.

I would not return to this hotel; but would recommend it nevertheless . I would pefer to pay for my drinks and make my own selection.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems, mention it when booking.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JOHN1944Wales

RODOS MARIS again & again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiotari
Mitsis Rodos Village Beach Hotel
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas
Boutique 5 Hotel & Spa
Boutique 5 Hotel & Spa
#1 of 15 in Kiotari

Been to Mitsis Rodos Maris Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!