“One of the best Corfiot apartments I've stayed in.”

Mayflower Apartments & Studios
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

I submitted my original in september. The fotos were published but not the revue. The original posting was a comprehensive review of not only the apartments (overall excellent) but also of Moraitika shops, tavernas and restaurants whilst the dets were still fresh in my mind. This time I'll keep it short. Best bar for cocktails was the islands. Best restaurant was The Village. Supermarket fresh produce was very cheap as was the beers. In bars I paid 2 euros for a pint amstel. Lunchtime snack pita souvlaki was around 2 euros. 3 course meal with wine around 15 euros. Friendly hospitable corfiots made a difference. Excellent apartments, lovely clean pool, quiet location only 5 minutes from main strip. Suits couples who want a relaxed, laid back, inexpensive getaway. Loved it. I'd go back tomorrow.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Tony R
mayflowerGreece, Owner at Mayflower Apartments & Studios, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Thanks very much for the information for other guests which is always very useful for them,and for the very nice review, I'm so glad you enjoyed your holiday. I hope you enjoy equally wherever you decide to go in 2014 and hope you might visit us again at some point.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We looked for a last minute deal through the internet for a no frills late break and wow we found a little gem at the Mayflower, Corfu.

We stayed in a 2 roomed apartment which gave us all the amenities that we needed for our week away even though there were only two of us the separate kitchen area was good. It was clean and tidy and to be honest basic but fair to say it was more than we expected. We had a lovely balcony area at the back overlooking some lovely orange trees so not much of a view but private. A basic comparison for UK readers would be better that a Travel Lodge but slightly less than a Premier Inn. If you are on holiday and want to stay in your room all day then why go on holiday? We agree that the pool was very impressive for such a small apartment complex and its very clean and very well maintained. Please also note that the complex is unmanned most of the time and operate a book system in the reception area. If you have any issues or questions, just write it in the book and they are dealt with very promptly.
The noise from the adjacent property was not as issue when we were there and the dog barking was minimal and only during the day. The only problem we had was the mosquito’s at night due to the close proximity of the surrounding trees and bushes. Easy solution .... loads of candles and insect spray.
Towels were changed every couple of days and a nice bouquet of flowers even appeared on out kitchen table.
Spiros and Olga do a great job keeping the place up to spec and very clean.
The surrounding area is a little bit passed it best but there are loads of shops, bars and amenities for all your needs and there beach is only 5 minutes or so walk away and there is a really good supermarket on the way there.
Getting there from the airport is easy as there transfer bus company will drop you off and pick you up from the top of the lane. There is also a “local“ bus from the main road just 5 mins away which will take you into the centre of Corfu for only 2.4 Euros. Well worth the trip to explore the town centre.

All in all we had a very relaxing and enjoyable week at the Mayflower and would go back for sure.
Many thanks again.

Room Tip: great walks around the area , just go out and explore.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank avon292
mayflowerGreece, Owner at Mayflower Apartments & Studios, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Thanks for your review, have to say I think some of our standard studio bathrooms aren't up to Travelodge, but otherwise the comparison is quite good to illustrate the level. Yes, mosquitos can be bad, its very strange as sometimes they seem to be everywhere, and then others there aren't very many. 'Past its best' is a good description for the village I think, Moraitika was one of the first villages to have tourism in Corfu back in the 1960s/70s and some of the family businesses date back that far. The last couple of years have also been quite quiet due to the larger hotels having gone 'all inclusive' which has hit local businesses quite hard. However, to make up for this I think everyone is very welcoming, food is good and good prices, with a decent choice of restaurants, so I think most people find that overall the village suits them quite well, even if it is not the most sceneically beautiful place. Nice views from the restaurants on the hillside though! I am very pleased that you would be happy to come back.

Can I use this review to say thanks to all our past guests, for them taking the time to write reviews, and I know that many answer questions raised by people interested in coming to the Mayflower. Even the not so good reviews are valuable because they are informative. So Spiros, Olga and I wish everyone a happy christmas and new year, and great holidays wherever they go in 2014.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

just got back from 2 weeks at the mayflower,had a great time but lousy weather on last week, wont book so late next time! had room 5 on arrival ,really dark (no sun front or back) made the room cold, spoke with spiros and diane and got an upgrade to a double room above reception, wonderful loads of room and great balconys, really lucky!!. Wi-Fi worked perfect in this room facilities here are top notch by greek standard.spoke with luc the cosmos rep ,who was a great help, and got most of the cost of upgrade refunded by cosmos 70% what a result!. olga keeps the rooms in tip top condition !! great place very helpful,relaxing all you want really would book again with same type of room. ps if you want a bike or quad go to niks motorbikes on the main road in town good deals!!

Room Tip: some ground floor rooms are dark (no sun) go high!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review, as you say, lousy weather for part of your stay which does make a difference, as no. 5 generally is one of the rooms that people say is very very bright during the heat of the summer! I am very surprised that Cosmos paid you back for the upgrade fee, as the apartment you moved to is not one of their allocation, well done. I am glad you managed to emjoy yourselves despite everything - of course the weather picked up once everything was closed and the end of october and the first two weeks of november were very warm and sunny, typical isn't it?

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Look at other reviews and you will see that they mainly praise these apartments. True. We stayed at the Mayflower recently and had a lovely time. The apartment was very well equipped - toaster, microwave, large kettle, coffee maker etc. - and kept very clean by the lovely Olga. Ok, the bathroom was a tad on the small side (as someone mentioned previously) but then again, so are we! The pool has to be one of the cleanest we have ever seen. It was an absolute pleasure to spend time swimming in it and is a huge credit to Spiros and the attention he gives it! As mentioned in previous reviews, the `pink book` system in reception works very well. We stayed in room 21 which was on the upper floor and overlooked some waste land and a house and workshop. Now, that is where we have to say the only hiccup of our holiday occurred. The (inconsiderate) man in the house behind had two little dogs that yapped pretty much every night we were there, well into the early hours. Diana and Spiros did confront him on several occasions, however in the main, their strong words and threats of getting the police involved, fell on deaf ears. So, we can only say, if you are going to the Mayflower - and please do because you will not be disappointed - take some ear plugs and close the windows and shutters. It is a small price to pay for a lovely holiday. Thank you to Diana and Spiros and of course Olga. In the words of good old Arnie..... we will be back!!

Room Tip: Ask for room 21 (it has a ceiling fan and an open outlook) or any other upper floor room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Greenies97

Thanks for your nice review, and you are perfectly justified in making the point about those dear little dogs (not!) with the very shrill voices. I think it must be the fact that are so tiny they feel they have to assert themselves by barking! You in fact made it possible for me to REALLY have a go at the owner, and he finally agreed to take them indoors at night which of course solved the problem as they were very happy to be in. As you rightly say, he took no notice to begin with, but he couldn't escape me and finally he deal with it, not before time, and I do apologise that I could not do anything any sooner. I am so glad it hasn't put you off thinking about returning.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Really nice apartments and great value for money. Stayed with my mother and brother late September for 1 week wanting a bit of sun on a budget as it was really an extra holiday this year. We had a two bedroom apartment. These are really bedrooms with a kitchen/diner (so no sitting area), except at the dinning table) and bathroom which was all we needed really. Very clean rooms, and fresh linen half way through the week. The cooking facilities and equipment were fine. Microwave and two electric rings which worked pretty well, and enough pans and crockery etc to be able to cook in if you wanted to. The kitchen/diner was a little bit dark but we ate on one of the two balconies we had which were lovely and peaceful with views of the garden. I had emailed Diana the owner before we arrived for directions, and she was great and organised a taxi for us from the airport. We had tea, coffee, milk and water left for us which was great as we arrived quite late at night. The system of the unmanned apartments worked very well as they are visited three times a day to check on everything. The pool was lovely, and there were plenty of loungers to use. It was very quiet round the pool, which was nice although meant we felt a bit self concious if we were chatting, but i think at a different time of year or with other chattier people it would have been different. The beach is just a few minutes away and was a pleasant walk . It was quite a busy beach with sun lungers on most of it to rent for 2 Euros a day. Plenty of nice bars and restaurants at the beach. The high street also has a lot of restaurants and bars, and is a bit tatty, but nice places and its part of the charm really. Not a picture perfect sort of resort but the beach was nice and quite pretty and the views from some of the restaurants up the hill in the older part of town were lovely. These are simple but very nice apartments and were perfect for what we wanted. We hope to go back next year.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vicky Y

Thanks very much for your full review. I do appreciate as you say, that Moraitika is not perhaps the most picture postcard holiday village, but I think it makes up for it in the friendliness of the people, and the convenience of having everything at hand. I think I might have to consider some music around the pool! I am glad you enjoyed it overall, and appreciate the time you took to write the review. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I spent weeks looking for a reasonably priced holiday which would suit the whole family and was so pleased I got it right. My expectations were not high due to the low cost of the holiday and descriptions of studios given by other guests. It is basic, clean and somethings were a little worn but that was part of the charm. The peaceful, relaxing atmosphere is difficult to explain ( we were there early September). Whatever you wanted you only had to request in the book and it was dealt with straight away. The gardens were beautiful and pool area immaculate. There were no more than 4 people in the pool at a time with numerous sun beds you could sit where you liked Our favourite restaurants were The Islands (where we enjoyed cocktails) and Bella Vista. The Bella Vista is up a steep hill but worth every step, i'ts the only one we went back to in our too short a week. Like others we are seriously thinking of returning next year. I have rated sleep quality average not because of the room but the fact that I was such a good host to the mosquito, despite closing doors, shutters and windows, plugging in insect repellant and helpful advise from Diana

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LincolnshireDuchess

Thanks very much for your informative review, I am sorry the mozzies became so attached to you! It does often seem that if they like you (and they quite like me!) you just have to make sure you use the best repellents/machines etc. to keep them away. I hope it doesn't put you off returning, and I am glad you enjoyed the village and its atmosphere, and the cocktails of course!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Generally very good, the place is clean and the staff friendly and very helpful. Our apartment was quite dark and didn't have a view at all - just vegetation and other apartments.

I think we may have gone to the Mayflower with expectations set a little too high because of some of the glowing tripadvisor reviews - it's good but not THAT good.

If you're driving to the Mayflower you may have trouble finding it - we spent quite a while driving round Moraitika searching for it. Look for the Fontana supermarket - the road to the Mayflower is on the other side about 20 metres towards Messonghi.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
mayflowerGreece, Owner at Mayflower Apartments & Studios, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Sorry you were not thrilled with the apartment, I think that's a bit of the situation of not being able to please all the people all the time, as we already have several repeat bookings for next year for that particular apartment because it is shaded and cool, and you have two separate outside seating areas.

In terms of finding the apartments, there are no addresses in Corfiot villages for reference, and in my experience this summer GPS systems send people the wrong way! Consequently when the address is Mayflower, Moraitika, it understandably isn't easy as we are not on the main road. The best idea for people driving from the airport would be to email me for directions which are very simple to follow (as in turn left, 100m past the EKO petrol station and then follow the signs to the Mayflower).

Overall I am disappointed at 'good but not THAT good' although I do understand it. We have some great reviews but I hope people read more in detail to see that what we offer is basic, simple accommodation, and that if people like us it is because we are friendly, helpful as we can be, and they generally have a good overall holiday experience - it is not because we are offering 5* accommodation.