We booked a 10 day cheap holiday to help with recovery from an operation. We wanted peace and quiet and got that for the first 7 days. Firstly this is branded as a 3 star hotel and it is just that - which we found refreshing. We knew exactly what we could expect. On arrival at reception with only 1 other British couple from our bus it became very obvious this resort is aimed a French tourists. French guests get purple bands and made up 90% of the resort. Red bands means not French, Brits, Russians,Bulgarians, Italians were there with us. It is very easy to feel a bit left out of the entertainment and evening dancing if that kind of thing bothers you however we weren't there to take part in all that. Over the 10 days we chatted to/saw only 7 or 8 other British parties. Not sure if this will be true of the higher season. We were booked into a superior room and got 516 in Twin A block. We had a lovely sea view, air con and a fridge, which was brilliant as Greece is having an early season heat wave - 30 degrees most days. The room was adequate for 3 stars, clean, the bedding was a bit ragged and holey but no real issue. The bed was made everyday and swept round. Bedding was changed once in 10 days and towel change was sporadic, sometimes everyday, sometimes extra ones left and once none left at all, however a quick trip to reception and that was remedied in 10 minutes. The biggest problem with the room was the lack of sound proofing. You got all the noise from next door but 2 on either side, across the hall and above as well. Try and get a top floor room! Also be careful in the shower, the plug hole is at one side but the water runs off at the other. I nearly slipped a couple of times stepping into the wet pan from cleaning. Dining could be a bit of a ruckus. Only 1 of the dining rooms were open, restaurant Ulysses. Breakfast was very good choice, 4 cereals, huge choice of fruit, yogurts, bread, jams, meats and cheese, continental pastries and hot option although the bacon was suspect and sausage hot dogs from a tin. Lunch had great salad bar and the kebab wraps were yummy - except the day they were tinned hot dogs in the wrap! Plenty of hot choice too. Dinner had plenty of choice again. The soups were a bit tasteless and watery at times, I tried all different kinds of potato, wedges, jackets, cubes but always found they were only just cooked through, hard instead of fluffy. Both times I had carrots they were warm but still raw. Overall though we always found something to eat. The bars were well staffed for the time of year and we rarely had to queue, the staff were friendly and some were happy to chat. Most spoke ok English. The "pan pipes" bar was the quietest for us but I think that may be the area where the evening show may be as the ents team were practising dancing there to music from the Lion King, We will Rock You and Thriller shows. The only evening entertainment to speak of was a mini disco for kids, ballroom dancing all in the amphitheatre. There was a music quiz one night but it involved French music. What we couldnt understand was on all inclusive you only ever got a plastic cup but if you paid for a drink you were given a glass. The grounds could do with some maintenance. the grassed areas were pleasant but the pavements were pot holed and if you had someone unsteady on their feet, they would have to be careful, especially in the dark. We spent our 1st 2 days on the pool sun beds as the beach sun beds were 3 euros per day from April 20th. They were very uncomfortable plastic efforts and there were no shades. We used a tree near the entry to the waterslide but this shed a huge amount of pollen on us, staining our towels and not good for hay fever. We then used the beach after that. The sun beds were fabric with a shade. From 2nd may there was also a 3 euro per day charge for using the water slides. There was also a charge for the pedelos and canoes. Drinks outside the all inclusive were not cheap. 7 Euros for a cocktail and 3:50 for a 35cl bottle of beer that were 2 euros off complex for the 70cl bottle! Also the exchange rate offered at the hotel from pounds was 86 cents per pound. Just off complex to the right and the gift shop/tobacconist owner gave us 1.10 per pound. The village is quiet at the moment and does look like it may be suffering the effects of the recession. 3 days off leaving and they started blasting dance music out at the water slide pool, opened the pizza restaurant (pay extra) and blasted different music out there which made a bad mixture of each down at the beach. All in all for the money we paid, we could have done a lot worse.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Messonghi Beach Hotel is a superb holiday resort situated between the villages of Moraitika and Messonghi on the east coast of Corfu. The hotel complex is situated in beautiful grounds with well-kept gardens, where respect for the environment and the happiness of its guests combine with every kind of comfort to make their stay unforgettable. The hotel's rooms and bungalows are tastefully furnished, with en-suite bathroom with shower and hairdryer. Every room opens out onto a balcony or terrace. There are two spacious restaurants serving breakfast, lunch and dinner in buffet style. Guests can also request lunch packets. After a day in the sea under the sun, the on-site bars are an oasis to relax in with a drink and to listen to your favourite music. Guests have use of three outdoor pools (2 adult pools and 1 Mini Aquapark), with an extra 2 paddling pools next to the adult pools. Pools are surrounded by free sun beds and there is a playground for the younger guests. Sports enthusiasts will appreciate the hotel's wide variety of sports facilities, including football, tennis, cricket, beach volley, petanque courts and table tennis. With its superb position and ideal facilities for families, this holiday village is no doubt one of the most popular hotels in Corfu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotel.de, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, Bookgreece.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Messonghi Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Messonghi Beach Hotel Moraitika
- Hotel Messonghi Beach
- Messonghi Beach Resort Corfu/Moraitika