“Absolutely fabulous”

La Palma Princess & Teneguia Princess
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I agree with everything that Former Fat Boy said except that there was one pool that was plenty warm enough for me and the aqua aerobics with balloons was the best I've ever had. As I was the only Brit who seemed prepared to brave it I usually got the pool all to myself - fantastic!

I've never fancied an all inclusive hotel, particularly one so remote, but La Palma Princess has converted me and I would return in a heartbeat. A stunning setting; great bedroom, bathroom and huge walk-in shower; the indoor spa pool was brilliant - I can recommend the all over body massage; fabulous (if somewhat cheesy) evening entertainment and dance floor routines; wonderful, helpful, friendly staff despite my appalling attempts at Spanish; plentiful scrumptious food (although avoid the Coco Loco); and the less than perfect weather meant that we had to leave the hotel and see more of this beautiful, unspoilt island by coach, wander through banana plantations and witness wonderful wave fireworks.

I might have to break a habit and return.....

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mel_Minx

Reviewed March 10, 2010

W e arrived at La Palma princes on the 22 feb and had a lovely restful week with warm sunny weather (with the exception of one day). The hotel is new to all inclusive but is trying to overcome problems. There is nothing outside the hotel so it’s wise to choose this. The all inclusive drinks menu was displayed and ok. Only two cocktails though! Food was good with the la choza buffet at lunch or an all inclusive menu in pizzeria. Dinner was in the main buffet restaurant with the Spanish themed night being the best.
We knew the hotel was remote and that’s what attracted us, as well as the spectacular scenery. To go to this island and not explore would be silly! We hired a car for two days and went to the east coast, the volcano above the hotel and capital Santa Cruz which is really unspoilt and authentic (no full English I am afraid!)The other day we explored the west coast, the spectacular Caldera de Taburiente, Roque de los munchasos with the international observatories. The caldera enters the coast on the west coast at Tazacorte and Los Llanos and the views are breathtaking. There are also small roads which lead to miradors to view the caldera from the south along the El Paso road near the visitors centre.
The room was a good size and we had a side sea view (Thomson’s don’t do sea view!)No lifts in the bedroom blocks so accept help with baggage when you check in (which was very slow). The reps were fine and reading some of the previous reviews have had a hard time because of poor weather and landslides (hardly their fault!).I suspect some may have booked this because the rate was reasonable and it was THE canary islands (which it is but it is certainly not Tenerife!)
On the cloudy day we read, had a few beers, ate and spent a lovely hour or so in the Spa which is lovely but hardly anyone uses!
Minus points? Charging to change pool towels, only two cocktails and weak (just ask them to put a bit extra of the Ron Blanco in and they will! Bar service was very good and no wait), expensive excursions (hence the hire car and driving is not for the feint hearted!) and a far too early pick up for the airport.
We hired the car from Moreno in the lobby and they were efficient and reasonable (29/29 euro’s per day)
Enjoyed a sunny break(but maybe the weather is not as reliable at this time of year as it used to be)

Please bring a phrase book as I saw far too many people not trying at all and miming what they wanted(even not knowing that dos means two!)

4  Thank mattjak
Reviewed March 9, 2010

A friend and I have just returned from what I can only describe as a lovely lovely time at La Palma Princess.

I do wonder just how deluded some people are. A 5 star hotel with a spa will not be available at less than £100 per night including all you can eat and drink. La Palma Princess is a clean, modern, extremely well appointed hotel with excellent facilities. I have stayed at 4 and 5 star hotels on business that have been grubbier, had fewer facilities and worse food.

We upgraded our room to have a sea view at 15 Euros a night. For that we not only got a sea view, we also had a Kestrel roosting on our balcony. The Kestrel was as happy to watch us as we were to watch him. For those who wish to try we were in 5201-S.

The hotel really is in the middle of a bananna plantation. There is a lovely little restaraunt about half an hours walk away. The position of the hotel in the south of the island is stunning, We could sit out at lunch watching and listening to the waves crashing on the rocks below. The Island has the most steep elevation of any island in the world and it is no suprise that the hotel is overlooked by villages and volcanoes.

I was shocked by just how ignorant some of the holiday makers were. In the restraunt and bars people would order drinks in English and most of the time not even bother smiling or say please and thank you. My Spanish is apalling but I managed to get outstanding service from the lovely staff by trying to use Spanish to order drinks and greet them in their own language. They will soon speak in English if you are struggling just do them the courtesy of trying! We rarely waited in any of the bars and the service of the waiting staff at meals was excellent.

The choice of drinks is excellent. With a bit of help from the bar staff you will get 90% of the drinks you get at home in some local form. We never had any problem in either the quantities of drink available to us or the quality. The all inclusive wines are delicious, the Cava bubbly and the beer quite palatable. The all inclusive package is the equivalent or better than many of the Carribean holidays I have been on.The food offers plenty of choice, the Veal is particularly lovely. At the end of the day how much can anyone eat? Breakfast early and late, Lunch, Pizzeria/Snack Bar, Dinner and all with such choice. Everything was hot and by the way for the moaners there are microwaves in all the restraunts, so if it aint hot enough for you, go heat it up. Only criticism on the food would be that the freshly cooked eggs choices in the morning are limited, no omlettes or soft boiled eggs - Big Deal, the juices aren't fresh but as my freind worked out there is plenty of fresh fruit to squeeze your own.

The entertainment was I must say mixed. However, there is something to do all day long if you don't just want to read your book or WATCH TELLY!!!! For the telly watchers there is some very interesting early eveing Spanish programmes to enjoy. The Spa is great and full of naked people. The pools are plentyful and yes they are outdoors and not heated - do you want a planet? The anamacion team were good at trying to get people to dance, some would, some wouldn't but you make your own fun, surely? My freind wanted a bit more male eye candy although I couldn't complain! The highlight of the entertainment had to be Aeroflot, the Russian Acrobatic team, watch out for rthese boys ladies!

We did three trips with Thomson. Santa Cruz de La Palma - nice town have a good look at the church it's lovely, this was unescorted but was long enough and got us out of the hotel for while. The next two trips were with one of the best tour guides I have ever come across. Vincenzo loves his island with a passion and at times moved the whole group with his empassioned descriptions of what had happened, the islands history or his love of it's flora and fauna. If he lived here I would nominate him for a people's honour.

I have written a lot and could carry on all night writing about how lovely and wonderful La Palma Princess is. From anyones point of view the biggest test is whether you would go again.... in a heart beat.

We had so much fun and met so many lovely people, holiday makers and staff. You know who you are.... Bella, X Factor, Chauffer, Oven Scrubber, The Doctors, Alain and the bar staff, the lovely lady that served us in the disco bar and most of all Gooily, you all made my holiday so special in such a lovely context.

The reps were great. We only really saw Christopher, he was informative and able to advise us about what to do. There was another rep but she was training and still lovely.

Biggest tip for this place is go with some reality. It is not somewhere to go and party, party, although we did. It is not a place to go for lots of stimulation although we were never bored.

A stunning hotel on a beautiful Island with lovely people. I'm sorry some people had a rubbish time, I hope they get over it and give La Palma Princess another chance.

Ultimate test... would I go again? In a heartbeat - thank you everyone at La Palma Princess, especially our long suffering chamber maid!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Former_Fat_Boy
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Myself and my husband went for 1 week only in November - we wanted a break to get away from everything and do nothing which is exactly what we did. The gym facilities were sparce but adequate so we trained (very sad I know) ate well and drank very well. To be fair after 5 days of eating drinking and swimming - there are a lot of pools too - we had recharged our batteries and could have come home but it was a very relaxing break just what the doctored ordered. The place is very remote if you want to travel get a car or go on the trips as there is little to do but to be fair we picked it just for that reason - to not have the noises of every day life. The spa treatments were an added bonus and helped us relax further.

So all in all hotel lovely, food amazing - definitely go all inclusive and if you want to unwind from every day life - its the palce to go!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Woo68
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I have just been reading reviews from the week before our holiday, we arrived on 22 Feb to lovely warm weather. We couldn't fault the hotel, the room was spacious and comfortable, and we were very impressed with the all inclusive package. It certainly wasn't expensive and we had a huge array of food offered for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ate here every day with no question of stomach problems. The house wine and cava were good, and there was good choice of spirits and soft drinks available all day and night. I think people these days expect to be fully entertained constantly. Yes, it is pretty isolated but a great place to chill out and read those books you don't get round to reading at home. We hired a car for a couple of days and had a lovely time exploring the island. We had an excellent week returned home totally relaxed and happy.

5  Thank cabpab
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I had researched this hotel on TripAdvisor and elsewhere before staying there w/c 15 February 2010. I had not intended to add a review because, until this last week or so, I thought the reviews were fair and reasonable – with some reviews you just can’t please all the people all the time. But, having read some recent untrue, unfair, distorted facts and vicious comments I need to add some balance.

Yes the journey out was horrible: trying to land at La Palma in gusty wind conditions before diverting to Tenerife followed by (to me) a nightmare ferry trip to La Palma. No one can be blamed for that, it’s a thing called bad weather, it happens. There was sufficient information and Thomson staff to help us throughout the Tenerife to La Palma transfer. Two Thomson reps shared the ferry journey and shared the pain! Well done to those two Thomson ladies in particular and the Thomson organisation in general for getting us to our hotel.

As a package holiday we were delighted with the hotel, the location and the island. Unfortunately there was a vociferous group of people, mainly mums with young children, where the holiday did not meet their expectations.

In my opinion their expectations were unreasonable: they did not seem to understand that star ratings are subjective and should not be used to make comparisons between hotels in different countries. They did not understand that a Thomson ‘Platinum’ holiday is a package holiday with a few frills (increased luggage allowance, confirmed seats on the plane, and a meal during the flight). Nothing more, nothing less. What do they expect, paying between £50 and £60 per person per night for flights, transfers, hotel room, food and drink? That was good value for money.

Some people suffered alleged ‘food poisoning’ during their stay with some libellous complaints about food hygiene and staff cleanliness. I don’t understand how any guest can monitor the catering staff hand washing habits given that the kitchens and staff facilities are ‘off limits’ to guests. More to the point, one day while sitting near one of the pool toilets and using the hand drier sound as a guide, less than half of the guests washed their hands after going to the toilet. Perhaps the real truth behind the ‘food poisoning’ was a lack of personal hygiene?

50% of the islands roads are not closed. The LP2 just west of Los Canarios was closed making it a little difficult to explore the islands south-western side and the LP4 near the Observatories was partially blocked by a rock fall, ok for cars but not coaches to squeeze by. Several other roads have suffered storm damage and were being repaired. And yes the roads are twisty and follow the land contours. No motorways to zoom along – it’s not Hampshire, it’s a foreign country! I found the driving easy and other road users courteous.

We found the Thomson hotel based reps to be helpful and courteous. We can understand why the departure meeting was a shambles; we wouldn’t want to face that group of toxic women!

Bottom line is that a small vocal group were disappointed with the outward journey and the weather. I am sure they are harassing Thomson in the hope of getting a refund of their holiday cost.

To end on a positive note: the Spa was wonderful! Thank goodness children are not allowed, apart from being unsafe for them, they would ruin the peace, quiet and relaxed atmosphere.

Would we go back? Yes, but not in high season. Just counting the number of stored sun loungers suggests the Hotel could become a bit of a zoo!

4  Thank Bigted27
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We stayed 16 - 22 Feb like some of the preceeding bad reviewers. Contrary to what they say, this is a very nice Hotel .

However I believe that their reviews are more about the weather and consequent journey to the Hotel than they are about the Hotel itself. The weather was wet, windy and rainy. Too windy to land at La Palma so we diverted to Tenerife for safety reasons and were transferred (very efficiently by Thomson in the circumstances) by boat. Oh I did feel sorry for those travelling with young (sea sick) children, but it wass not the fault of the Hotel or tour operator.

The hotel rooms are fantastic as are the public rooms. The one we had on the second floor of block 6 were very quiet and had a partial sea view.

Bar service is sometimes slow (as it is in the Caribbean) but staff are very pleasant. They tend to prefer to serve those who make an effort to be polite in spanish which means that those who complain loudly in English with broad regional accents can be overlooked.

Food was above average for the buffet type of offering although I would have expected fresh fruit juices at breakfast. It was disappointing that the a la carte restaurants were all closed but it is off season. Our wine and water was served promptly when we sat down to Dinner. We had to queue for a table on one occasion when they were catering for an extra 400 guests who could not get off the Island due to the high winds.

I want to come back and explore the island in more depth in better weather. When I do I shall stay here again, content in the knowledge that the 'moaning minnies' won't be back. Ah well, I 'm sure that there will be some other herd behaviour to observe.

4  Thank Chozzer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fuencaliente de la Palma
Sol La Palma Hotel by Melia
#1 of 1 in Barlovento
Hotel Las Olas
Hotel Las Olas
#1 of 3 in Playa De Los Cancajos

Been to La Palma Princess & Teneguia Princess? Share your experiences!