“Small & friendly with great food and excellent service”
Review of Orpheas Resort

Orpheas Resort
Ranked #9 of 48 Hotels in Georgioupolis
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Small & friendly with great food and excellent service”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We have just returned from a great 2 week holiday in this wonderful resort. On our arrival we were warmly greeted by one of the 2 friendly and efficient receptionists who seemed ever present throughout our stay. The rooms were basic but very clean and comfortable with more than adequate storage for my wifes extensive collection of shoes!

The food, served buffet style, was plentiful, delicious and varied, and the waiting staff were very friendly. One small criticism would be the temparature of the water provided for making tea at breakfast.

The hotel leads on to the Georgioupolis beach with its own sunbeds and shades at €4.50 for the day. Needless to say this sorted out the issue of reserving sunbeds. The sea was warm and clean although swimming was a problem if the wind was force 4 or above. The hotel has 2 pools which were ok but not big enough for a serious swim.

Staff were happy to advise and book days out for us and were always interested in finding out how these went.

I would highly recommend using the green fun train which runs from the terminus opposite the hotel but beware the main road that you will need to cross to get to it as Greek drivers don't take prisoners.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dorset
Reviewed May 22, 2010

We have just returned from a great holiday here. The hotel is great and the staff friendly.
The bed was comfortable & the free air conditioning is definately a bonus. The food was also very good with a great choice every day. The only thing that detracted from our trip were the mosquitos. The last time we went to Crete there weren't any so we we not really prepared, but apparently Georgeopolis is known for them. Between us we must have been bitten about 100 times on our first night, whilst I don't think it spoiled the holiday, we could have done without the hassle. So definately go, but go prepared!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dorset
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I found the Orpheas Resort on TripAdvisor while searching for a hotel for my vacation in Crete. We decided to stay somewhere between the historical city and port of rethimnon (which less than half an hour drive) and the architecturally unique city of Chania (which is about 1 hour drive). The reason was that from such a position we were in proximity to a variety of attractions like Kournas lake, Argiroupolis , Fakasarna , Elafonisi , Samaria Gorge and Chora sfakion . In order to arrange my stay I got in contact with the hotel's receptionist Vicky, one of the most friendly and helpful persons I have ever had the chance to talk to. She not only informed me about the hotel, its location, facilities, services but was also a big help with my other plans for excursion and tours around the area. My chat with Vicky and the info I got for the truly artistic website of the hotel were enough to convince me that Orpheas Resort was the place I wanted to book. They say that god is in the details. If that is the case then he sure had his way in this hotel. Every corner of the room, lobby and grounds have been crafted with a uncanny attention to detail that made not only for a pleasant and comfortable stay, but for an inspiring one as well. The decor throughout a unique combination of aristocratic elements from a prerevolutionary France, but also down-to-earth and welcoming. The food at the Orpheas Hotel was superb. I ate there every day and I was impressed by the quality and quantity of food, not to mention the presentation and the ambience. At Orpheas Hotel even the food is an art of its own. The staff at the Orpheas Hotel were wonderful. They were very friendly and quite often went out of their way to help you with anything concerning your stay. Having been around Europe quite a bit, I can tell you that you don't often find hotels where the staff gives you such good vibes and reminds you that there are people out there who will go out of their way to help you for nothing in return but a smile and a thank you. I am planning to return to Orpheas Resort and Crete one day, just to live the experience again. It goes without saying that I am recommending this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing and intimate experience, as well as couples.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DorsetMisty
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2009

After a week at the Orpheus, we can strongly recommend it.

The hotel is well-situated in Kavros’ pleasant strip of hotels, bars & shops. The sleepy beach hamlet of Georgiopoli is 4km to the west & the beautiful town of Rethymno <20km to the east (well worth a visit for the large Venetian fort, harbour & narrow balconied streets).

We booked here since it has a pool & direct access to the sandy beach so everything else was a bonus.
We stayed full board so had buffet breakfast & dinner every day without the food repeating (in either sense). But Crete is a great place to eat out so we ended up having big lunches too and even two swims a day can’t offset that sort of punishment.
Owners probably can’t understand why most people opted for a bottle of water rather than local wine at €11 – other bars over the road (and the supermarket) sell it for about €2 per 500ml carafe!

The staff were unfailingly polite & helpful, particularly in the charming al fresco dining area. The people on reception seemed fine too, but since we didn’t need to complain or report anything as not working we didn’t see them much.

Going in early June meant it was pleasantly half full so we always had the pool to ourselves & there were enough loungers. Two loungers & an umbrella cost €4.50 for the day on the beach which seemed reasonable.
I suspect in high season pool lounger shortage could become a problem; even while we were there a couple from You-Know-Where started putting their towels out early so I sneakily moved them elsewhere & they took the hint.
I should say that almost all the other guests were German or French and very nice they all were – quiet, polite, and seemingly in bed for 10.30. Unlike the Spanish hotel I went to earlier in the year where the kids club (and the kids) ran until midnight.
This did mean the breakfasts were more German than trad British but there was still plenty to choose from. At dinner I would often end up having 4 courses as there was always so much good stuff I just had to try.

I’ve stuck some pictures here as the ones on their website don’t seem representative – you’re not getting a 4-poster, just a nicely done but standard hotel room. Their claims about most rooms having a sea view aren’t true either, and the lack of a map on the website is a serious omission (the hotel is on a lane just back from the highway next to much larger one which has a sign).

We were greatly charmed by Crete & Orpheus is a great base. The E75 highway is excellent & our hire car cost about £180 with petrol for the week – the same as a taxi from Heraklion & we went all over the place.
As well as Rethymno I’d recommend Hania, Georgiopolis, Kournas lake & Knossos (only €6 and the guides aren’t necessary as there are handy info boards. Plus what went on there is only speculation & much of it was “reconstructed” by Arthur Evans in concrete a century ago).

The hotel seems more personal & friendly than some of the bigger resorts & the food here is excellent. Lovely beach, clean sea, nice pools, friendly staff, beautiful gardens.
You could do a lot worse.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank ant_jone
london
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I booked the accommodation by myself for me and my boyfriend.The truth is that we were anxious of what we were gonna deal with because the price ... but finally ... it was proved to us that I had made a good choice !
Honestly , I can not understand how is it possible for s'one to give bad review about this hotel ?
I don't know from where to begin with ?
The dreamy decoration of the hotel (which I was told that the owner personally has done everything!) in restaurant and room?
The food ? ! What can I say about the Greek cuisine ? The Greeks really know how to eat good !! (we both gained weight !)
A hotel on the beach and with two swimming pools !
Thankfully the weather was excellent !
And the people working there...very friendly !!!In all divisions!They made our holiday even better !
We'll be back !!!

• Liked — decoration , food
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank cloedemp
Paris
Reviewed August 19, 2007

DO NOT GO to this Hotel :
It is noisy - the main cretean road is just accros the rooms
The manager is agressive with the hosts
The swiming pools are very small.
The sea is beatiful but you have to rent the beach umbrellas
There is no soap in the rooms (we have to ask for that)
It is more than expensive for what it is
The food is bad
The garden is not finished
The private parking is very small : you have then to park your car outside.
Do not beleive the internet site which do not give a trough and fair view of the hotel
I think that it is enough !

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The reception
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank EYA92
Kent
Reviewed July 26, 2007

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel at the last minute, and were really suprised, it was faultless!! The rooms were unusual-no tacky furnishings!! The beach was a stone's throw away and the staff were so friendly and willing to do anything to assist you.

If your looking for a busy lively holiday then this isnt the place for you, but if you want a lovely little hotel, away from the English crowds but close enough to a beach, a pool and a beer then it is!!

We didn't want to leave!!! Outside of the hotel we would recommend the lovely bar/ restaurant directly opposite- fantastic cocktails and once again the friendliest staff!

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank NatJames
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgioupolis
Mythos Palace
#10 of 94 in Agios Nikolaos
SENTIDO Pearl Beach
SENTIDO Pearl Beach
#12 of 165 in Rethymnon

Been to Orpheas Resort? Share your experiences!