Booked with purple holidays, which i would not adivse, as we didnt book to stay in this hotel. we had booked to stay in Golden Sun which was an hours drive away in a completely different resort. when we get to the airport to get our transfers, we are told Golden Sun is fully booked, nothing can be done about it, but they have the 'sister hotel' just "down the road" from Golden Sun, which was Akti Manos.
When we arrived at Akti Manos we were taken to a room that was the size of a shoe box, and had the most stomach turning stench of human excrement and feces. There was no air conditioning (not even a fan in the room), which we had in fact asked for when we booked at the Golden Sun. The shower when turned on, had brown water running from it which ran cold. we complained straight away, and we were taken to another part of the hotel which did infact have air con and warm running clear water.
there was still a faint smell of human waste. When I used the shower in the second room, there was a drain in the centre of the bathroom, that when you shower, soap and water erupt out of. leaving the bathroom flooded.
The air conditioning that we were now receieving in this room, had a tube running to our balcony and when we had our air con on, water came out of this tube and flooded the balcony. we told the staff and their way of 'fixing' this issue, was to put the end of the tube into a plastic bottle and let it fill up.
the hotel was unclean and the towels and sheets were meant to be changed every 3 days and were not! To top things off there were ants all over the room!
the worst part of this trip was the FOOD. it was UNEDIBLE.
i wouldnt have fed my dog the food that they served up at meal times. the breakfast everyday was bread, cereal or fruit that looked like it had been there for days. the lunch time was always salad. and the dinner time was the worst. the meat they dished up was supposedly 'chicken'. it was grey and looked like slop, i even had to ask what meat it was. i had spaghetti bolognase once, and i was sick all night.
As the food was so bad, we wanted to eat out. Only problem was, our location. there were NO bars or decent restaurants within walking distance. we booked to stay in the heart of the rethymno where there were nice bars etc to go to at night. ·Taxi to rethymno where we were meant to be staying was 25 euros there, 25 euros back. the nearest town Georgioupoli was a 20-25 min taxi drive away. the town itself was mainly German speaking. all the menus, road signs etc were all in German.
the only good thing about this trip was the weather, and even then to enjoy it you had to pay 7 euros each for a sunbed.
Worst hotel i have ever experienced, worst holiday i have ever had. Do not waste your time or money. I had heard so many good things about Crete, but i have been put off for life after this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Direct on a wide, bright sandy beach. A small middle-class resort which consists of the main building and small quiet bungalow-like buildings with the rooms which lay out in an exotic garden. You will be staying in friendly double rooms with A/C, sat-TV, telephone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Bookgreece.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, HostelWorld, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your Sandy Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Akti Manos Beach Hotel Georgioupolis
- Akti Manos Beach Georgioupolis
- Sandy Beach Hotel Crete/Georgioupolis