“make sure you get an upper floor!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Romantica

Hotel Romantica
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in Georgioupolis
“make sure you get an upper floor!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a difficult review, because we chose this hotel due to the excellent reviews!

The pros - The hotel is in a great location, local to the beach, shops and the bus stops. The staff are very friendly and very keen to help and sort out any problems. We were given good advice about day trips and things to do.
The room although very basic was clean and there was plenty of storage space. The kitchenette had the usual utensils. but we mostly ate out.

The cons - we requested an upper floor, we also contacted the owners directly with our request, but on arrival we were given a room on the ground floor. We were told it was an upgrade, but it did not feel like it.
The room was overlooked from the street on one side and the pool on the other, so there was a lack of views and privacy. We kept the curtains drawn to save us being gawped at!
There also seemed to be a problem with damp rot on various door frames.

When going out first thing in the morning or when returning back after a day out, we could see the other guests eating, enjoying the sun and views on their balconies, which we could not do and really missed.

After reading the other reviews, I feel that we would have enjoyed a being in a different room.

So if you are lucky enough not to get the same room, you will have a great time!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Agent_Krycek

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We arrived at this hotel by de fault as where we had originally booked could not provide the accommodation we had booked ,however this really worked in our favour.
We were given a very warm friendly welcome from Voula whose family own the hotel and nothing was too much trouble for her or any of the staff.
We had a very large one bed apartment which consisted of a Avery big bathroom with full bath and shower. Large living / kitchen area containing two single beds table and chairs fridge ( with ice packs for the cool bag for the beach) utensils were very basic with just one fraying pan and one large saucepan,this resulted in us having to buy an electric kettle but I am sure had we asked Voula she would have found us a small pan in which to boil water unfortunately we asked Matt who was the concierge and he said that it wasn't possible to supply one.
This having said the were adequate dishes plates glasses cups and crockery.
We had a lovely bedroom with double bed and loads of drawer and wardrobe space.
The balcony was enormous and very private.
The rooms were cleaned every day and towels and sheets changed every fourth day.
Lovely reception and pool bar, and nice sun terrace with lovely swimming pool with separate children's area.

As we should have been originally staying at Zorbas we had to change our transfer arrangements but Voula took care of all this by ringing the company and sorting it all out don't know what we would have done without her,

This holiday could have been a disaster had it not been for Voula and her excellent team who we now feel are more like friends.

When we return to this area this would certainly be our first choice,

Room Tip: Room 105 for large balcony but if you want the late sun room 203 or 204
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 11 nights at the romantica and it was faultless. From the lovely warm, friendly welcome to the great apartment and perfect location. The staff were on hand to help with anything I wanted, even just a chat and as a single female traveller that was a great comfort.
The apartment was always clean, fresh towels and bed changed regularly. I go to georgioupolis every year and have stayed in a few different places but the romantica is definitely the best and I will be back next June!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank seasidegirl26
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Just back from our 2nd visit this year to The Romantica. The rooms are kept spotlessly clean. Service is outstanding. What more could you ask for? Already looking forward to next year's holiday at this wonderful hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dakos
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Romantica Apartments is located 200 meters from the beach of Georgioupolis, near the village center. It has nice, clean and comfortable rooms and a swimming pool, but what makes the difference is the politeness and friendliness of the owner, Voula. Fully recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank manasta
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I've just returned from 2 weeks at the Romantica. Reading some of the less generous reviews below I feel those people stayed at a different hotel. Romantica is a fairly typical Greek holiday hotel. It was clean, airy and comfortable. I'd asked for a specific type of room (high up) and was provided with a very quiet room in Block 2 facing towards the beach (you can see the sea but there is another hotel in the way). I felt the room was good and perfect for my holiday requirements (washing and sleeping). I didn't purchase air con as I feel you rarely need it plus I find the noise of it keeps me awake more than the heat. The room was cool. You need to know what you're doing with the doors to help with this though (sitting room one open, bedroom one closed in my opinion)

What makes the difference is the staff? Voula, the owner, really wants you to enjoy your stay and does her best to ensure that you do. Need a taxi to pick you up in a distant town at a certain time? It'll be arranged. Need collecting from the airport? Again all arranged. The service doesn't stop with Voula though. One of her staff, recognising that his Greek and my English were never going to solve my particular problem (wanting a taxi to collect me that evening from Chania), he called Voula for me and then lent me his mobile phone.

I read somewhere below about the shower not attaching to the wall. Ours did but it wasn't attached when we arrived and I needed to think why it had a hole on the back of it and why there was a little metal hook attached to the wall.

I'm hoping to go back to Romantica next year and even if I don't make it next year, the next time I'm in Georgioupolis, I'll be staying at the Romantica.

1 Thank Martin T
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I sometimes believe that you get what you pay for. We paid £209 through hotel.com for a week in a studio apartment. On arrival we were informed we had been upgraded to an apartment. Maybe we would have had a better room if we hadn't been? Or if we had paid more for our room? We will never know!

Our apartment was on the ground floor of block 2. The kitchen/living room space had a wardrobe in it and some rather harsh lighting. There was access to the balcony but this was only really good for drying ones clothes on as it was small and faced the back wall of the pool. It looked onto two other windows next door and was flanked on one side with the small road next to the apartment. Consequently we didn't sit on the balcony. In the bedroom the window looked out onto the road and so we could never open the curtain. The apartment made one feel rather hemmed in and an apartment or studio on an upper floor would have been much more preferable so you could at least have some light in the apartment and watch the world go by.

The bed was not that comfortable and some days I woke up with backache. The bathroom was basic and there was very little (if any) hot water in the mornings (I know this is Greece and there is solar heating for water but we were told there should have been hot water). The shower did not attach to the wall so you had to hold it in your hands. I don't have a problem with this but my partner did (also no shower curtain).

On arrival a couple of the towels were unclean. They had been to the laundry but had dried blood stains on them and had not been checked. We did report this and new towels were provided straight away. There was no little bar of soap or any toiletries provided so bring your own soap!

The apartment was attended to every day apart from a couple of days in the week (one was a religious festival and the other a Sunday). Towels and linen only changed once a week. It would have been good to have had our towels changed once during the week.

The electricity was a bit dodgy. I blew all the power in the apartment one morning when unplugging the baby belling which I was boiling water on (don't expect a kettle). The (very old) TV when plugged in created crackling noises and did not sound safe. The remote control for the TV looked past it and was sellotaped together.

The air conditioning (which you pay 6 euros a day for) was great and we did not need to use it much or for very long. The apartment did stay pretty cool despite the August temperatures.

There was a fridge which was great to have for keeping drinks cool. However the utensils were sparse to say the least so making a meal (if you had really wanted to) would be tricky. There were no sharp knives - not even little ones for cutting a piece of fruit but when I asked for a sharp knife I was provided with two!

The staff were very friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome and did sort things out for us straight away.

Location is good, lots of places to eat nearby and the bus stop is not far away either if you want to visit Chania or take the bus to Episkopi beach.

Room Tip: I think a room on an upper floor would have raised the rating for me.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles