“quality of chicken pies goes down” 3 of 5 bubbles

Maggies Farm
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Lanseria
Cuisines: African
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Randburg, South Africa
“quality of chicken pies goes down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I have been a frequent visitor to the home of the chicken pie for many years, even buy the pies at checkers sometimes. On sunday the 9th of feb on the way to the dam we popped in to get pies for breakfast, sadly we were very disappointed with our curried chicken pies, they tasted old, have to say the quality has gone down a lot!!! I tried the spinach pies a few months ago and it was the worst pie I have ever had. We bought a bottle of ginger beer too and that was off aswell!!! so i will not be buying pies or ginger beer from you again.

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

hoosier in jersey
“Good comfort food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

In South Africa as part of an internship to evaluate social work practices, so staying at a nearby non-profit facility. Lodgings are sparse to say the least and do not include food, so factor this into my review! I was hungry :)

For our lunch outing I had the chicken schnitzel with a little side salad and I thought it was really very nice. My friend ordered the same but got the potato wedges (chips) with it and hers came with a spicy coleslaw o the side. Others in our party ordered pies and were pleased. One ordered the chicken prego and said she would recommend getting extra prego sauce on the side since it didn't really have enough. Service was slowish, but we were there to enjoy the outing, so not a big deal.

I also took home a chicken and mushroom pie. I reheated it 2 days later and really enjoyed it. Not a ton of flavor to the filling, but the crust was still moist.

Would go back...and may still before I leave in a few weeks! But probably doesn't warrant legendary status.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank happynest
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great food...everything chicken is delicious here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The food is good old wholesome farm food, very tasty. The setting is great, very peaceful and space for kids to play. Service is not great but we still always stop for their famous chicken pies every time we drive that way.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Johannesburg, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Great Chicken Pie and good service! Nice setting place for kids to play. Breakfast also good. Nice variety.

Visited February 2013
Roodepoort
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Maggie's Farm Home of Chicken Pie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

It is worth while driving out to Maggies Farm Home of Chicken Pie near Lanseria on a Sunday for lunch! If you have not tried their BBQ chicken and salad you have missed a fabulous experience! This is a bustling place over the weekend and if you do not come early, before 12, on a Sunday you will have to wait at least a half an hour. Their pies on their own is slightly dry but so damm tasty! If some people find them bland then they have not tried it with the salad and home made salad dressing thich by the way is devine! I can absolutely recomend it wholehartedly!

• Visited March 2013