“Fun time”

The Greater Foscoe Mining Co.
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Foscoe
PA
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Fun time”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My daughter and 2 granddaughters and I decided to give gem mining a try. We had a great time. My husband and I had tried gem mining once before with the granddaughters and what I liked about The Greater Foscoe Mining Co was that they not only tell you what the stones are, they tape them to a identification sheet. This way the girls can remember what the stones are. I think the price we paid for the buckets of dirt was reasonable.

Visited August 2012

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good gems poor service”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Went here one morning it took 15 min and calling the phone number on the site to get service. They set us up and left not to be seen again. Of the three gem places we went through we found the rarest gems here but was lied to by the gem cutter. He told us a emerald we found was a $1000 a caret. Latter we found out emerald is more like $35 a caret. Glad we didn't have them cut it.

3 Thank Vkrailler
ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Kids had fun also many other families there and kids were laughing giggling having a great time”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We bought a larger bucket not biggest but next size down. Daughters found some very large gems emeralds, aquamarine, and many others. Quite a few big enough to make rings necklaces earrings and the like. Also found a large round ball that needed cut to have to halves. Can't recall name but it's pretty.

2 Thank michaelbrace
Jacksonville, fl
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Son loved it but everyone else knew better.”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

My son had fun but saw one of the employees pocket a gem. Not sure which kind but I caught it out of the corner of my eye. I didnt want to make a stink in front of my son because I figured it couldnt have been THAT valuable but still. We warn anyone that asks.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank theresar2004
Miami, FL
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Gems, Geodes, Etc.”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We asked at the person at the Craft Guild in Blowing Rock where she would recommend we go to mine, and this was her recommendation. She also advised us to buy a large bucket. When we got there, we purchased one $53 bucket which we were allowed to share. Now, the dirt is salted, so while not entirely "natural", you are going to get gems. As at all gem mines (as we found out) the more expensive the bucket, the more gems you will find. The young men working at the mine were very polite and helpful, and the jeweler next door was also very kind and informative (and is making us emerald rings to commemorate our 40th anniversary).

Visited July 2011