“Dreadful experience”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We went to the piano last night - the setting is beautiful and the food was very good - however the service was appalling - we had barely sat down when the waiter was over to get our drinks order - we said we hadn't had time to look at the drinks menu and he was very off with us. When we came to order the main course three of us asked for the special and were told they weren't doing the special - we queried why it was on the menu and then we were told it was on after all. We also ordered puddings and realised that we had been given a pudding we hadn't ordered so when we queried it the waiter blatantly lied and said he had told us the pudding we wanted wasn't availab le so we were getting something different - he so didn't tell us that - my friends had different puddings and discovered there were puddings available that they hadnt even told us about. While we were there one of the waiters really laid into a young girl because he tripped on a chair and told her off because her boyfriend hadn't tucked the chair under the table. I know we are all human and make mistakes but the waiters were not in the least bothered or apologetic about any of this - the lovely setting and food does not make up for the absolutely appalling service we received.

1  Thank C V

Reviewed February 2, 2013

The restaurant is in an old Georgian town-house on the main road. The restaurant entrance is up a small passageway and can be missed by passers-by. At the rear there is a very nice outdoor seating area looking directly across the Minster Green to the mediaeval Southwell Minster. Inside the restaurant there are several dining rooms. The service is efficient but not intrusive. The food was well prepared and presented and very tasty. My filletto pizziaola was excellent. The meat was very tender and prepared exactly to my liking (medium rare). I thought the portions were generous. My partner had the lemony chicken dish which she thoroughly enjoyed. The desserts were on display in a chiller cabinet and freshly made. the wine list was good with some reasonably priced wines available.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I don't quite know what Piano is doing in the sleepy town of Southwell when it rivals many a London trattoria. Excellent service from moment of reservation to the end, mouthwateringly authentic Italian food (try the Caprese - real Mozzarella) and a cosy but not over-intimate setting. Highly recommended.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We have been on a number of occasions throughout this year - and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Both the food and the service have been excellent every time as has the atmosphere. Only one slight complaint we went on a very hot evening in the summer and it was rather warm! Could do with some air conditioning for times like that. However afterwards we did enjoy a special coffee and brandy out on the terrace overlooking the minster. I would definitely recommend it and look forward to our next visit. One of our favourites!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

For £50 quid I'd rather stay at home and let my missus cook me far better food than I had here, just basic cafe fodder, and £4 for half a Perroni is a rip off.

2  Thank Arjan#2