“Try the Crispy Ginger Beef”
Review of Golden Lion

Ranked #32 of 36 Restaurants in Langford
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery
Burlington
“Try the Crispy Ginger Beef”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This is not an upscale overpriced restaurant but a mom and pop affordable haunt with great food. If you are looking to be over-charged head up to GoldStream Village. Try the Crispy Ginger Beef and Chowmein - very tasty and reasonable cost. The owner has a sense of humour and makes us feel welcome. We have been here several times since we arrived in Langford in May.

• Visited July 2014

Victoria, Canada
“Tops again! Best Chinese food on the West Shore!”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Reason - parent's anniversary - early June 2014
3 of us

EXCELLENT FOOD!

Food was outstanding as I've come to expect from this location.

We ordered a Combo Dinner for 4 - Wor Won Ton Soup (a meal in itself), two orders of Chinese sausage, pan fried prawns (with well cooked onions).

We easily could have fed six... but that was the point - lots of options and lots to take home. Made three more meals of it the next day! :)

They were a little overwhelmed as they opened at 4:30 p.m. and only the delivery driver was there to wait tables as the usual girl came on at 5. Between 4:30 and 4:45 there were 18-20 people and five tables. I have no issue with the fact it was a little slow at the beginning - I'm guessing that they are not usually that busy in the first half hour. They also had about five orders of walk-in (pick-up) in the first 1/2 hour. This really only means one thing - they have a good product and people know about it. :)

But back to the food. HOME RUN! EXCELLENT. The War Won Ton was perfectly seasoned - just right amount of soya sauce in it for colour and flavour - did not have to add a drop. I hate places that serve it clear as the soya needs time to mix and work it's way into the won tons to bring out the flavours.

The combo had four spring rolls - they were piping hot and delicious. Chinese sausage we got as an appy - they were gone quick... perfectly cooked... great to be dipped with the plum sauce.

Then came the entree... sweet and sour lean boneless pork (bright red - I could do without the food colouring), deep fried prawns, chow main, house fried rice, chop suey. All were outstanding! Great flavours - everything was very good.

Location is good for families with kids, special occasions - no view worth talking about. No real ambiance - room is simple/sparse.

Best Chinese food I've had on Vancouver Island.

• Visited June 2014
Victoria, Canada
“Classic North American Style Chinese Food”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have tried several Chinese food restaurants on the island and we find the Golden Lion to be by far the best for simple, north american style Chinese food. We have ordered from them several times and their food has been consistent. The service is very fast and the prices are reasonable. I recommend the Ginger Beef, Shrimp w/ Snow Pea's as two of their best dishes. We didn't care for the egg rolls as we found them more like spring rolls and we do wish they would include a fortune cookie for that charm I am used to from other places we used to frequent, but overall this place is a great find.

• Visited November 2012
Victoria, Canada
“FirstTime Trying Take-Out Here on Sep 29th 2012”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I ordered the combo dinner for four and it was ready for me at the suggested time from phoning (25 minutes). The restaurant was almost packed and I managed to get the only remaining parking spot in order to pick up my meal. The meal was all bagged up complete with the bill which took a coupon deal into consideration.

Upon unboxing the five meal containers the food was found to be well packed, still hot, and very well cooked. It was tasty and gave good value for the price. As there were only two of us, there is going to be one more meal plus some snacks from the leftovers.

Now if you wonder why two people ordered for four, the main reason was that the menu had individual combo plates, and then combination packages for four or six, but none for two. I was in a hurry to get the food home and the place was extremely busy, otherwise I would have asked why there wasn't a listing for a combo dinner for two.

It is easier to enter the small parking area by (a) knowing where it is and then (b) approaching it by driving south on Jacklin Road (toward Sooke Road)

I'm sure we will be trying this restaurant again.

• Visited September 2012
“Good Chinese food”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Good Chinese food - probably the best on the West Shore (Langford, Colwood, Metchosin, Highlands, View Royal) BC.

Located across from Belmont secondary - lots of parking available in their lot.

Good quality, good value. Combo dinners have a discount if you pick-up. Service is quick if you're eating in the restaurant. Quick delivery service is also available.

My favourite is the dinner for 4 (sweet & sour lean pork, chow main, house fried rice, chop suey with cashews, deep fried prawns) with salt/pepper deep fried squid (has some kick), two orders of Chinese sausage (ask for extra plum sauce). Pan fried prawns are also a good add-on. Lots of left-overs for the fridge, so good eats for everyone for days to come.

Tried several other places in the West Shore area - these guys are the best. Maygold is ok... but Golden Lion is better quality.

• Visited April 2012