“Out of the way retreat”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Langford
Saskatoon
“Out of the way retreat”
Reviewed February 11, 2010

my husband and I stayed for 4 nights at the end of May. We booked a 2 room suite in the fairways building rather than the club house, we asked for a mountain view and that was what we got. If you stay in the fairways building you do get a private balcony as apposed to the club house building (which I stayed in the previous year) which has larger, but more open balconies. Also the fairway's building has a nice gated parade so parking is really not an issue, we never had trouble finding a parking spot. When we stayed in the club house it was difficult to find a spot near the building (unless of course you use the valet service and then you don't have to worry about parking at all) The parking lot for the club house is insufficient.
There was still some construction going on mostly surrounding buildings, but we didn't notice any noise from construction this year.
When you rent a suite you do get a fully equipped kitchen which was nice for us because we wanted to see the sights, and were able to pack a lunch or make a nice dinner when we got back to our room, rather than eating out every meal.
We found for the most part our room was clean, although we did have to call house keeping when we returned from a day of sight seeing and our room had not been made up while we were out, (this also happened the previous year when I stayed in the club house)
I would not recommend this hotel if you want to be right in Victoria, is is actually located in a suburb of Victoria, Langford I believe. Also If you are staying here you definitely want to rent a car if you plan on leaving the Hotel as it is quite a distance from all the touristy things.
Overall we really liked the hotel, liked that it was out of the way, I liked both the Club house and the Fairway's building. The Fairway's building has no reception desk so you do need to go check in at the Club house, also the restaurants are all located in the club house, as is the pool. So if you don't want to trek across the parking lot for a swim or a meal you may want to book a room in the club house. If you like a bit more privacy and easy secure parking book the fairways building.
We really enjoyed our stay in this hotel and we would stay again, we thought the room were nice, even if the fire place is very fake. We found it peaceful although we were out of our rooms early in the day and did not return until later in the evening and may have avoided the construction going on during the day.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank skippy35

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Korean first
Maple Ridge, BC
Reviewed February 8, 2010

We stayed here for one night to celebrate my 40th birthday. We were blown away by the view and our room was so nice I had to ask the desk clerk if they upgraded us. Our room was in a building that was tucked away in the trees beside a golf course. The room was a standard room and was very large for something standard with a small balcony, ceiling to floor windows, a huge ensuite with a tub and glass encased shower, double vanity, slate floors and a mini/wet bar. The countertops had granite in the bathroom and mini kitchen. The decor was warm and neutral. This is probably one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in and we got a corporate rate on a Sunday night of $129. The desk staff was friendly and the lobby is incredibly impressive with a rock wall with water running down it. If you are looking for a place to eat there is a small Japanese restaurant right across the way. There was also a nice lounge beside the restaurant. I would highly recommend this place!

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shawn M
canada
Reviewed January 31, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night on the weekend for a party. It was a beautiful room just to look at. Things started to go wrong after we tried to watch tv. I bought my own dvd but the machine was not playing it. After 2 different people came to try to fix it they gave up and said it was broken and could not be fixed tonight. So they offered a free movie from pay for view but they could not get it on the right channel after 1/2 hour of trying they finally found it but the movie had played for 1/2 and they could not start from the beginning. How is this possible? All I got was a sorry maintance is not here and nobody could figure out how the TV system works. The other tv in the room did not have cable so you could not watch anything. The temperature was too hot and I wanted to cool the room, I phone front desk again and someone came to the room. They could not turn down the tempeture because it was centrally controlled. Again mainatance was gone so nobody could do anything.
I got exhausted trying to relax so we went to sleep. There was so much creaking that is was impossible. I slept in the living room in a cot but you could not close the curtains. I called someone again and they could not move them. More people working there that can not do anything.
I was awake with the sunrise so I decided to take a bath. Actually I did not sleep due to the creaking. I stepped into the tub and there was blood a the wall side of the tub. Talking about gross. I ended up taking a shower which was a separate unit.
The only good thing about this place is the view.
I have never stayed anywhere with so many problems that nobody could fix.
This is the service you would expected from a 1 star hotel.
They did give me a discount when I checked out but I would have prefered a pleasant stay. Avoid this place if you can.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank amIchef
Calgary Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2010

I stayed at this hotel in February 2009 with a friend for a girls weekend. We had an absolutely fabulous experience at The Westin Bear Mountain.
The room was spacious and clean and soooooo fresh. They have some special air system in there and you can really tell the difference. So not a stuffy hotel feeling at all.
The balcony was such a nice feature and HUGE.
We also visited The Sante Spa for a day and would also recommend that highly.
The staff and property are both exceptional and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2010

The rooms were very spacious (2 twin beds) and very nice finishings (slate floors, granite counter tops). Very nice bathroom with separate soaker bathtub and shower. My only complaint is the shared balcony -- people in the other room would walk by and look into my room. A partition on the balcony between room would be nice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort & Spa as we were attending a company Christmas party there in the evening. It only took us about 15/20 minutes to get there from downtown Victoria and the drive up the mountain was very scenic and beautiful. Once at the top you really cant see anything other than the resort itself and you feel like your in the middle of a forest. We had some confusion over what building we were staying in, as there were actually 3 or more hotels within a few minutes walk together and there was only one that had a front desk.
Our room was in the clubhouse which had a full kitchen, living room, seperate bedroom and 2 bathrooms. The main bathroom was fantastic with a large double shower with double rain style shower heads. It also had a large bathtub (although it did not have jets.) The bedroom was huge with floor to ceiling windows and a king sized bed which was extremely comfortable. We were on the bottom floor so we had a large deck out back (which we never used since it was raining.) Our only regret was not having more time to stay in our room as it was so cozy.
The main restaurant at the lodge serves fantastic meals (we had both dinner and breakfast there.) If you are having dinner I suggest you have the beat cured salmon - my husband and I thought it was one of the best weve ever had.
The main lodge is beautiful aswell with waterfalls cascading down the sides of the walls and comfy couches facing large fireplaces. Again, we wished we had more time to enjoy some of the other things they offer (such as the Spa and other restaurants.) Oh - there was also an ice rink which we were unable to use since I currently had a broken toe haha.
We definitely plan to go back for a weekend at some point for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarolynLeanne
Reviewed November 22, 2009

This was our second time at Bear Mountain! Huge rooms, wonderful food, & amazing views!!! We definitely recommend this place for a quick getaway!

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langford
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
#1 of 52 in Victoria
The Fairmont Empress
#19 of 52 in Victoria
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,478 reviews

Been to Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!