“Not bad. Not great. Inconsistent.”

Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Langford
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Stayed 1 night for with the Mrs.

Pros -
1. big rooms (most have 2 beds)
2. nice view of golf course (patio joins with others - no barricade)
3. comfortable beds and showers.

Cons -
1. do not get a room with a shared door with another room. Like someone said here you can hear everything from the adjoining room.
2. if you are an early riser, not much to do here before 7am. the restaurant opens at 6:30am and the gym at 7:00am. i think the golf course doesn't even open up until about 7:30am?
3. a little bit pricey at the restaurants, but to be expected.

I have a personal bias towards American hospitality. I don't think anyone in the world does service like Americans. So although Canadians might be polite, they most often will not go totally out of their way. That said, I would probably try this place again. I was there on cash and points from my Starwood Credit Card. I only paid $60 for the room. I didn't play golf this time, but expect a 5 1/2 hour round. This place appeals to wealthy Albertan red necks on a stag weekend for some reason.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chasman1

Reviewed May 4, 2009

I live in Vancouver, but work each week in Victoria and it made my day when I found this hotel. The resort is made up of two hotel buildings set on a mountain, with a fantastic village being built around it. It works for me in so many ways. First it is close enough to Victoria that you can be there in 20 mins, yet you feel you are miles away in the mountains. Each room I have stayed in is like a condo, with a kitchen, living room, separate bedroom complete with fireplace (electric). There is a fabulous gym on the grounds as well as several great restaurants. The rooms on the valley side have an awesome view of the golf course, the surrounding forrests and terrain. There is not much lacking in this resort.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2009

My fiance' and I stayed at Westin Bear Mountain for a leisurely, romantic getaway... Upon arrival we were informed that the pool was closed for unexpected maintenence issues. I understand unavoidable issues arise, however no compensation or discount was offered... to offset the situation. We are Starwood shareholders and our room was located in a seperate building next to the hotel, this is fairly standard as we have stayed at numerous Westin resorts. However, it seemed as if there was a lack of attention to detail and service because we were paying with points instead of money. There were no menues available for any of the hotel's 4 restaurants, the mini bar was not stocked, and our supposed view of the golf course was mostly just piles of dirt and construction equipment. The golf course, a Nikelaus design, proved impressive with it's beauty and challenge. The pro shop, however, was unfriendly and snobby, not to mention the fact they charge 35$ for a ride along passenger!

There was parking under our buiding which was a plus, the only problem was when the elevators went out and no one bothered to leave a sign notifying guests of the situation...after we walked up to the main level we tried the elevators again, to find out from another guest that the power had gone out. Things happen, i understand, just a simple courtesy sign or having an employee to direct guests would have been nice, or maybe a sign to tell us where the stairs where since we had to hike up 3 floors!

Our overall experience was not that of a typical Westin, I almost wonder if they are privately owned because of all the Westin and Sheratons we've stayed at we've never been so unimpressed or displeased! Save your points, they aren't welcome here!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dreamstar4vr
Reviewed February 15, 2009

I booked a room at the Westin online for Feb 14. On the 13th we decided to come down a day early - pending room availability. I called the resort and spoke with an employee who booked me a room for that night and said she would send me a confirmation email.
After recieving the email I realized that the check in date said Feb 14. (Not the 13th) I immediatly called the resort to be told that the extra night had never been booked at all.
I'm glad I called - otherwise I would have shown up to find that I didn't actually have a reservation.
Check in went ok. The front desk employees seemed a little unorganized. They couldn't find my reservation and had no clue about the convention I was going to which was being held at the resort.
The room however was gorgeous! We had 2 queen beds - very comfy, a soaker tub nice shower and a kitchenette. The room was very clean and quite large. Nice patio/balcony too. - Although the balcony was shared with quite a few rooms.
We were woken up at nearly midnight by guests in the hallway. The rooms were NOT soundproof!! We also heard a lot of noise from the adjoining room. (Microwave and dishes clanging.)
After my funtion I went up to my room at nearly 4pm to find our room not even cleaned yet. I was in my room for most of the evening and it did not end up getting cleaned/stocked with towels.
We wanted to order breakfast to our room but after reading the small print at the bottom of the order form claculated our meal to be over $25 each! (Sales tax, 15% gratuity and $5 room service charge.)
We never ate at the restaraunt so I cannot comment on that.
The event went great, and the staff was helpul with food setup/cleanup.
In the late evening we went to 'Jack's' for dinner. I'm not completely sure if this bar/grill is associated with the hotel. (They share the parking lot) The service here was terrible and the food was overpriced. I had a drink ordered for me and after taking a sip that went all down my shirt realized that the glass had a huge chunk missing from the edge!! (I waited almost 30 min. for a new drink and finally had to go to the bar to ask for it.)
Check out was quite easy. We were given a bill under our door and dropped it off in a drop box with the keys on our way out.

Overall I was not very impressed with this resort. It is quite pricey and very noisy.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank bcbride
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Stayed at Bear mountain Westin for 1 night with my fiance and was extremely happy with everything. We payed for a basic queen room, but as the hotel was completly empty we were upgraded to a 1 bedroom King corner suite. Suite was complete with Kitchen, 2 bathrooms, Gas fireplace, Huge king "Heavenly Bed" and master ensuite, aswell as a large deck with chairs. As you can see in the photos The snow was falling all night and the surrounding area looked like a ski lodge. We were able to enjoy a treatment in Sante Spa which I would highly recommend. We also enjoyed dinner in masters lounge, and a late night bite from room service. Both were great. Highly reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmcgregor
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We were relocated to Bear Mountain resort for 4 nights because our original choice closed after taking our reservation. Contrary to our expectations, access to the hotel was via a well constructed mountain style road, with a fair amount of residential properties most of the way up.

Arriving at the property at night was quite spectacular during December with a mass of festive lights around the resort. Self parking is free via a short walk to the lobby. Two valet parking lots that stood unoccupied for the duration of our stay, separated the self parking areas from the hotel.

The lobby area was welcoming and impressive and check in friendly and efficient. All public areas gave sense of immense space, especially the corridors accessing rooms.

Our room was a twin queen standard room. The room seemed long and narrow, although no narrower than many standard hotel rooms. A balcony appeared to be shared with an adjacent room, which remained unoccupied during our stay.

Internal furnishings were impressive and tasteful, with slate flooring on the entrance lobby through to the bathroom and kitchen area, and then carpeted throughout the rest of the room. The room had a round table and 3 chairs but lacked easy chairs and space to use them. However this was probably one of the smaller rooms in the hotel.

The bathroom was tastefully furnished and equipped. A bath and separate double sized shower was a nice touch. The shower itself was a double head version, with good water pressure. Both heads seemed to feed from the same supply, although mysteriously the hotel's policy was to disable the secondary head to save water (which is easily restored). Not sure how much effect this has as they both share the same supply. Plenty of towels and face cloths were provided and nicely presented, with the standard range of toiletries.

The kitchen area consisted of loads of storage, a microwave, kettle, toaster, coffee maker and fridge, with a reasonable supply of crockery and glassware for 2 people. There was no sink in the kitchen area which is unfortunate. In addition to a 'snack selection' at typical in-room prices, some free coffee was supplied. However this wasn't recharged daily which was probably an oversight.

The beds were set high with several layers of comfort. The 'Heavenly' brand is used to describe the guest 'experience' and my first night in the 'Heavenly' bed made me think I really should upgrade my bed at home. I slept like a baby. In fact Westin retails the complete bed for about $3k although if you just go for matress and base it's a little over a grand. A good night's sleep is so important, yet it's really hotels that emphasize this as part of their value proposition.

The resort was in a far more complete state than I was expecting and we hardly noticed the construction taking place in nearby buildings (although this was probably a seasonal thing). The geographic area around the hotel is magical, and I looked forward to the drive to the hotel. However it should be remembered that this hotel is based on top of a mountain and the access road, while fully developed, is a mountain road. On one occasion I stepped out to get a pizza and noticed the access road had become a solid sheet of ice. I got worried when the Hummer in front of me quit and turned back to the hotel. In fact in didn't take me long to decide to do the same thing, not least the serious accident that was now blocking the downward route. A gritting / salting vehicle did appear but too little too late unfortunately.

Overall our experience at Bear Mountain was very memorable. The staff were very helpful and polite. Room excellent with only minor quibbles. Highly recommended as a weekend get away or romantic stay away. We went with kids and while the hotel doesn't cater specifically for them, the staff were as helpful as one could expect. Resort fee of $15 was waived for us, but is normally added to the price, so beware.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank anglo_canadian
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We stayed here in Dec and the hotel was booked out with Christmas Staff parties.

This resort is great :) We stayed last year too and love it here.

Staff is wonderful, our rooms have always been HUGE with incredibly large balconys overlooking the mountains.

Love the shower with the double heads and the huge rooms with the heavenly beds.

We actually had a connecting room and at first I was thinking..."Oh no"..... I travel a great deal for business and at times it seems like half my week is spent in a hotel. Noise is always an issue.
I have stayed at my fair share of Starwood properties enough to be able to have booked at Shereton Towers in NYC so I know my hotel noise, Bear Mountain hotel noise was not a problem at all:)

Only thing I would suggest is that you rent a car as Bear Mountain is quite away from Airport and downtown Victoria (at least 20 mins)

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank quincytoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langford
Four Points by Sheraton Victoria Gateway
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Victoria
Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel
12 mi away
Prestige Oceanfront Resort, BW Premier Collection

Been to Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!