“Wonderful place to have a getaway - can't wait to go back!”

Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Langford
Reviewed October 20, 2008

Although there is still some construction on the property, this resort is outstanding. The main buildings are complete and have been designed with every amenity in mind. My husband and I wanted to move in!!!

True to the Westin standards, the rooms were above and beyond. Our suite was in the clubhouse building on the second floor. My best guess would be approximately 800 sq ft for our full kitchen (full fridge, stove & dishwasher), living room (with a gas fireplace), dinette, bedroom with two walk in closets and 5 piece ensuite & a half bath. Our balcony was probably another 300 sq ft, overlooking the front of the resort.

The resort includes two golf courses - the Mountain Course of 18 holes and the recently opened Valley Course of 9 holes. My husband and I golfed the Mountain course once & he golfed again with another group. It's a great course, fairly tough & very scenic. Included in the green fees are the carts with GPS - if you've never experienced this, it's wonderful! The GPS gives you the yardage to various points on the hole and will even tell you the yardage to the players around you. The green fee also includes two waters for each player in the cart, club storage, club cleaning and driving range balls.

The resort has a number of dining options, we tried two of them. Jack's Place (named after Jack Nicklaus - the course designer) was our favorite. Bartender Derek was very friendly and enjoyable to chat with. He is very knowledgeable about the history of the course and it's owners. Each of the meals we had at Jack's place were very delicious!! And the drinks were great too!!

We also dined at Copper Rock Grill for the breakfast buffet and the Thanksgiving Dinner buffet. The breakfast buffet was ok - it had the basics - bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, breads and pastries and fruit -that was about it. It was $18/person. The Thanksgiving Dinner buffet was $50/person, and was described to me as a fabulous thanksgiving dinner with all of the trimmings, chef's carving station, delicious desserts and a flambe bar. There was turkey, roast potatoes, some type of dressing (in the form of a rectangle slice), two green salads, steamed vegetables, potato salad, buns, sauteed shimp (the flambe bar) and for dessert - nanaimo bar, buttertart square, brownies and a couple of tortes. I noticed a number of people grumbling that there was no pumpkin pie. I found the buffet to be extremely over priced and very lacking. For $50/person I expected to be wow-ed - not so much!! For what we got, I think about $25 would be fair. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying a good chunk of change for a nice meal - but that wasn't it.

I visited the spa - Sante Spa - for the Sante Stone massage. To be honest I found this treatment rather disappointing. Due to neck and back injuries I go for massages fairly regularly & this one was not that great at all. First of all, my masseur was an esthetician, not a RMT. Unless specified, I always expect that a massage will be performed by an RMT. I think I would have been better served spending the $130 on a facial or a pedicure or something. The spa itself was fabulous! They have change rooms where you change into a lovely robe and slippers, then you move to the waiting room where they have relaxing chairs and refreshments to enjoy while you sit overlooking the beautiful golf course. I would definitely recommend visiting the spa, I just wouldn't recommend the Stone Massage.

We are planning a second trip back next summer, I think this place would be fabulous in the beautiful BC summer!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 13, 2008

We stayed in a room with two queen beds in the Fairways building. This building has no concierge and no front desk but that didn't bother us at all. Our room was very sizeable with a separate shower and giant soaker tub, double-sized closet, fridge and mini-kitchen. The beds were very comfortable. The staff were extremely helpful and polite.

Our friends had a suite in the same building and it was magnificent and bigger than their condo.

Our view looked toward part of the golf course but was nothing but construction. Heavy machinery and gravel pits obscured our view of the mountainside. Each room has its own temperature control but unfortunately the fan unit exhausts right outside the door and makes so much noise we had to sleep with the door closed.

The whole estate is undergoing what looks like totally unbridled construction. I counted at least three giant new condo buildings under development and more on the way. Apparently the water pressure is so low because there is not a large enough local water supply and the town at the base of the mountain is fighting to stop the Bear Mountain area from gaining access to their resevoir.

No recycling bins, car access only, rampant development. Definately not a green property.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zunga
Reviewed September 8, 2008

Getting up to the resort is a little bit confusing.

Front Desk agents were so-so friendly.

Stayed in room 343 in the Club House building. The room is spacious with 2 queen beds and a big patio. The washroom is on the smaller side though. Both the A/C vent and fridge made loud noises. At 3am people were talking loudly infront of our door.

The resort is definitley not kid friendly.

Highly recommend Copper Rock Grill. It has a very nice view and it was the best hotel/resort food I've ever had. Even the bread was delicious!

Overall a beautiful resort but not suitable for family vacations.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank hjessie
Reviewed September 5, 2008

Stayed with kids in Fairview building.Could hear almost everything from next rooms. This is a brand new building, lots of construction still going on.
It is not a hotel, certainly not a Westin standard.
Breakfast took eternity to be served.
Time sharing clients were treated much better than us , normal guests.
Tried to contact Hotel Direction several times, but they never came back to us.
No, this was a very disappointing stay.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank zebra48
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We used this hotel as a sort of stop over to shorten our drive upisland. It was a lovely hotel, though a little confusing to get to. Once you get all the way up Bear Mountain you have to wind around alot of goofy mazing it feels. There are couple of different buildings that they can put you into, and yet another building contains the pool and workout facility. There is ALOT of construction going on up there, so be aware of that. The front desk staff were nice enough, nothing incredible, but fine. The room was great. It felt like we were entering someones apartment. The standard room had a kitchenette with micro and mini fridge (they even had dishes and cutlery in the cupboards.) The bathroom was awesome! Huge soaker tub, separate shower and a nice amount of space to move around. Very cool. Beds were comfy. We had a great little deck with a view of wooded land, green and a bunch of stacks of wood and construction materials. I'm sure once its all completed that the views will be even better! The only thing we found odd was that instead of having a nice big flat screen on the wall facing the beds, there was a dresser tossed almost randomly in the corner with an old style tv on top of it. That really struck us as strange that an upscale hotel such as this one had scrimped on something like that. Heck, even the oldschool Best Western we stayed at the next night in Courtenay had a nice flat screen in their budget styled rooms. Go figure. I would not really recommend this one for young families either. Nothing to do for children, nowhere to let them run amuck so to speak. Totally recommend for couples though, my husband and I would love to go back and enjoy the serenity alone! Salt water pool was fantastic, hot tub was nice, extra charge for infrared spa... what??!All in all it was a really nice hotel that as a couple, not a family, intend to return to.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank WhiteRockFamily
Reviewed July 27, 2008

I stayed here for 1 night recently as a SPG Plat. After arriving from the Helijet terminal, I arrived there in about 45 min through rush hour traffic. Cost of the taxi was around $45.

As many others have noted, there is a lot of construction going on but the majority of the construction close by has finished. Or, at least there doesn't seem to be a new one started.

My room was in the Clubhouse and check in was fine. The clubhouse was a long corridor with restaurant on either side. The elevators were a bit hidden but got to my 5th floor room without problems. I was given a beautiful corner suite overlooking the golf course. There's only 1 larger room on the entire floor. The room itself was extremely large and would easily qualify as a full-size suite in another other hotel. There was a full kitchen area, separate eating area, very nice sofa/sitting area, an outdoor patio, very large bedroom, and a very large bathroom. I could find no faults with the room.

As there aren't any dining options within walking distance of this hotel, I chose to eat in their mid-tier Copper Rock Grill. The wait staff was pleasant enough but my bread didn't get to me until I finished my appetizer. The food can only be considered, in my opinion, as odd. The spinach salad had an overly sweet dressing and had a large melted/cooled/flattened cheese "circle" on top of it. While I understand what they were trying to pull off, the cheese was so tough it literally was cutting and chewing through leather. I chose the seasonal entree of duck. While the duck was cooked well enough, there was an odd garnish of chopped ham mixed with raisins. Other patrons seemed to like this fare but I didn't particularly enjoy it.

The only other complaint was that the outdoor dining patio was directly below my room and patio. Loud chatter could easily be heard until fairly late.

Other pluses in the hotel include free internet and a complimentary bottle of water, although I suspect the water was a function of my SPG level.

I know I am being overly picky on the restaurant. The rest of the hotel, staff, and rooms were on target as to what I expect from a Westin.

I would, and probably will, return in the future.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank Braindrain
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Stayed at this hotel twice. A lot of construction right now so perhaps in 2009/10, everything will be complete.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langford
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Hotel Grand Pacific
#14 of 49 in Victoria
Downtown
Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour

Been to Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!