“VERY THIN WALLS...”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Langford
Netherlands
“VERY THIN WALLS...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2008

Stayed with kids in Fairview building.Could hear almost everything from next rooms. This is a brand new building, lots of construction still going on.
It is not a hotel, certainly not a Westin standard.
Breakfast took eternity to be served.
Time sharing clients were treated much better than us , normal guests.
Tried to contact Hotel Direction several times, but they never came back to us.
No, this was a very disappointing stay.

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank zebra48

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Korean first
Chilliwack, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

We used this hotel as a sort of stop over to shorten our drive upisland. It was a lovely hotel, though a little confusing to get to. Once you get all the way up Bear Mountain you have to wind around alot of goofy mazing it feels. There are couple of different buildings that they can put you into, and yet another building contains the pool and workout facility. There is ALOT of construction going on up there, so be aware of that. The front desk staff were nice enough, nothing incredible, but fine. The room was great. It felt like we were entering someones apartment. The standard room had a kitchenette with micro and mini fridge (they even had dishes and cutlery in the cupboards.) The bathroom was awesome! Huge soaker tub, separate shower and a nice amount of space to move around. Very cool. Beds were comfy. We had a great little deck with a view of wooded land, green and a bunch of stacks of wood and construction materials. I'm sure once its all completed that the views will be even better! The only thing we found odd was that instead of having a nice big flat screen on the wall facing the beds, there was a dresser tossed almost randomly in the corner with an old style tv on top of it. That really struck us as strange that an upscale hotel such as this one had scrimped on something like that. Heck, even the oldschool Best Western we stayed at the next night in Courtenay had a nice flat screen in their budget styled rooms. Go figure. I would not really recommend this one for young families either. Nothing to do for children, nowhere to let them run amuck so to speak. Totally recommend for couples though, my husband and I would love to go back and enjoy the serenity alone! Salt water pool was fantastic, hot tub was nice, extra charge for infrared spa... what??!All in all it was a really nice hotel that as a couple, not a family, intend to return to.

• Liked — Great Room
  • Disliked — Offskirt Location/ Confusing area
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank WhiteRockFamily
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

I stayed here for 1 night recently as a SPG Plat. After arriving from the Helijet terminal, I arrived there in about 45 min through rush hour traffic. Cost of the taxi was around $45.

As many others have noted, there is a lot of construction going on but the majority of the construction close by has finished. Or, at least there doesn't seem to be a new one started.

My room was in the Clubhouse and check in was fine. The clubhouse was a long corridor with restaurant on either side. The elevators were a bit hidden but got to my 5th floor room without problems. I was given a beautiful corner suite overlooking the golf course. There's only 1 larger room on the entire floor. The room itself was extremely large and would easily qualify as a full-size suite in another other hotel. There was a full kitchen area, separate eating area, very nice sofa/sitting area, an outdoor patio, very large bedroom, and a very large bathroom. I could find no faults with the room.

As there aren't any dining options within walking distance of this hotel, I chose to eat in their mid-tier Copper Rock Grill. The wait staff was pleasant enough but my bread didn't get to me until I finished my appetizer. The food can only be considered, in my opinion, as odd. The spinach salad had an overly sweet dressing and had a large melted/cooled/flattened cheese "circle" on top of it. While I understand what they were trying to pull off, the cheese was so tough it literally was cutting and chewing through leather. I chose the seasonal entree of duck. While the duck was cooked well enough, there was an odd garnish of chopped ham mixed with raisins. Other patrons seemed to like this fare but I didn't particularly enjoy it.

The only other complaint was that the outdoor dining patio was directly below my room and patio. Loud chatter could easily be heard until fairly late.

Other pluses in the hotel include free internet and a complimentary bottle of water, although I suspect the water was a function of my SPG level.

I know I am being overly picky on the restaurant. The rest of the hotel, staff, and rooms were on target as to what I expect from a Westin.

I would, and probably will, return in the future.

• Liked — Exceptional service and rooms.
  • Disliked — Food in the restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Braindrain
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2008

Stayed at this hotel twice. A lot of construction right now so perhaps in 2009/10, everything will be complete.

• Liked — It's a WESTIN!
  • Disliked — Construction
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2008

For our 15th Anniversary we decided to go golfing and picked this resort. What a fantasic place to stay and golf. Yes, there is lots of construction going on but it never bothered us one bit. We stayed in a one bedroom in the fairways building and it was gorgeous. Everything you would want and more. We ate every night but one at the each of the restaurants. All were good, but the sushi restaurant was not our thing. Service everywhere at this resort was really good. They went out of their way to help with anything you needed.
Now golf, we loved every minute of it. It is a very tough course if you are not playing well. Would love to stay and play here again someday.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The sink in the master bath. No room for personal things
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2008

We just returned from The Bear Mountain Westin and I had to write in my review while it's still so fresh in my mind. We stayed in the Fairways building and had an amazing experience. Our room was great, the Heavenly Beds were just that and the service was impeccable. We ate at the Copper Rock restaurant and that was worth the drive to Bear Mountain alone. Some other reviewers have complained about the construction going on around the resort, but we were not at all bothered by it. I can't wait to return later this year and try out their golf course - it looks amazing!!!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2008

While it's being touted as a four star hotel/retreat high in the natural surroundings of Vancouver Island it is, unfortuantely, neither.

The later can be said to be true, only if taken horribly out of context. Bear Mountain is part of a multi-million dollar resort/suburban development being undertaken (and expected to be finished within 3-4 years) and as such most of the natural surrounds have been stripped away and are well out of the reach of the resort to be considered part of the surrounding. It would be like Toronto boasting access to Montreal's vibrant French culture.

As I mentioned, the construction of this resort/development is ongoing and as such the noise and pollution levels are a constant interference. While I tried not to let this impact the review (there are many more negatives to take into account) it should be noted the peaceful serenity that is described in the advertising won't exist for at least another five years, if ever.

The rooms themselves, were servicable, but completely without sophistication. For $300 a night, one would expect some class and warmth, but neither is to found. It is as if someone went shopping at Winner's Homesense for the fanciest looking baubles and decorated the rooms in this manner without regard for asthetic taste. Added to this is a tiny patio (unused thanks to the aforementioned noise and air pollution), awkwardly narrow rooms and a video screened faux-fireplace that wouldn't suite a trailer park.

The food and service were quite nice. The salmon in particular was some of the best I've had and the staff were very genial.

All in all, this was a disappointment. I had originnally given it three stars, but after writing the review I realized how overly generous that would be. I doubt I will ever return and I do not recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank RobDuncanVancouver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langford
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
#1 of 52 in Victoria
The Fairmont Empress
#19 of 52 in Victoria
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,455 reviews

Been to Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!