“Nice golf course but that was it”

Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Langford
Richmond Hill
“Nice golf course but that was it”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed as a family of four. My son was in the men's national golf tournament. so, if you like to golf you will enjoy the golf course-- fabulous view. I think there is great potential in this hotel but most at the front desk are not that accommodating or informative. We were told when we made the reservations that there is a pull out bed from the couch. It was the absolute worst mattress to ever sleep on. I called the first night to ask them what options we had since the mattres was horrible. The front desk told me there are cots we could have. I asked what was the mattress like on these cots -- I was told not much better than the pull out -- so I declined the cots. To make a long story short, we approached a few times the front desk workers on various days -- and were essentially told the same thing. It was on the last night that a more informed worker told us that the cots had mattresses just as thick as the full mattress. So, we got the cots for just the one night. I have to warn you that the full matress is not that comfortable but alot better than the pull out. There was also construction noise that you could hear in the early morning.
Overall, I would not recommend this hotel -- very pricey for the type of service and quality of sleep.
The facilities were not that great -- the pool area is shared by residents in the nearby homes (at least that is what I was told from some of the locals) -- there are kids running around and around the hot tub -- and no supervision. We would not go back here. I have stayed in better Holiday Inns for alot less and had better sleep and much friendlier staff.
This is the first time I have written a reivew on tripadvisor -- I have to warn people.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Victor L
WestinBearMountain, Manager at Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Victor L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I was very sorry to hear that your stay in August was not up to expectation and that you did not find our pull-out sofa bed comfortable or our associates helpful in finding a resolution. I've shared your experience with our Management team so that they may better train our associates in ensuring our guests find a solution that is satisfying right away. In the meantime, we are looking into ways to make our sofa beds more comfortable.

We hope your son was successful in his tournament.

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Korean first
Camrose, Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I always enjoy staying at the Westin property. As usual another relaxing stay with my daughter. We enjoyed a day at the spa and some retail therapy while in the greater Victoria area. We have always stayed in the club house with a view of the course but this time we had a resort view, which was still enjoyable and more quiet than I would have thought. This is a beautiful place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelcoleen
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Just got back from our stay with our hockey team from October 11-14, 2013. The resort was a great place to stay. The one bedrooms were more then spacious. The hotel was sold out for the weekend. Our team was spread out between the main building and I believe the Fairway building. I was booked in at the main building.

The first night upon arrival some of the families ate dinner at Bella Montagna. It was a busy evening. Our dinners took a very long time to get. Not sure if they were under staffed? The portions were very small from my opinion. After receiving my bill and glancing over it I noticed GST(5%) and PST(7%) charged on the bill. I believe after April 1,2013 PST(7%) is no longer charged at restaurants? I was a a little confused and did not question it as it was late and we had a early morning game and would keep it in the back of my head.

On Sunday the majority of our team ate the Thanksgiving buffet for dinner. It was a good spread and the food was good. Again after dinner I received my bill and checked it again. I noticed the same charges of GST(5%) and PST(7%) tax. This time I asked the waitress and she had no idea about the PST so I asked to speak to a manager who said he had come from Alberta and also was not sure but would look into and would let me know as I was again charging the bill to my room. A few of the Dads and Moms stayed for a few drinks over at the lounge after dinner. The new bartender Curtis was friendly. For curiosity I asked if the bills had PST(7%) at the lounge and he took a look and said no just GST and the liquor tax. I have not heard back from the Manager as of today.

I checked out Monday morning and for the heck of it I asked the front desk about the PST tax in the restaurant. He also said he was not sure but said there was an email he saw earlier regarding it. I asked if someone else had mentioned it but sad he wasn't sure.

I'm not sure if I'm the only who has noticed this finally after only just over 6 months but there would be a lot of people who paid PST(7%) tax on the food bills at the restaurant. I'm not sure if the room service is also charging it as I did not order it?

I recommend whomever eats at the restaurant to check their bills if they are being charged PST.

I hope this was just a computer software problem but in the end it's 7% tax that no one should have been charged as of April 1,2013.

1 Thank Sheldon K
WestinBearMountain, Manager at Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Sheldon K,

Thank you for providing your feedback about your recent stay. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your One Bedroom Suite.

We sincerely apologize that your dining charges were subjected to 7% PST. When new menu items were uploaded into our system earlier in the week, this tax was not disabled. The affected items were corrected on Monday. I strongly encourage anyone affected by this to contact the resort for reimbursement.

We hope your hockey did well in their tournament and look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to Victoria.

Edmonton
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Everyone wants to turn good into great. Here is a good example of how to turn what should be great into something just good. Bear Mountain has a great facility, a great setting and a great location but they sure flubbed up my visit.

The front desk set the tone. I booked two rooms as I was travelling with my 96 year old Aunt. Although we were checking in early they had us on different floors and couldn't do any better. The front desk thought we should be happy we were at least in the same building! She just couldn't care less, I should have been happy just to be able to stay there. Finally, I figured out that we could at least be on the same floor if I upgraded one room to a suite. The suite was actually wonderful and we could have all fit comfortably but by then I wasn't going back to the desk. And watch out for the facility fee; it doesn't matter if you use any them or not.

The next issue came with room service at breakfast. We were on a tight time schedule so I specifically asked if they could deliver breakfast by a certain time and was assured that they could. Of course it didn't and we had about one minute to eat what looked like a delicious meal. The waiter was apologetic and said the time frame (which I thought was reasonable or I wouldn't have asked) just wasn't possible and shouldn't have been agreed to.

It wasn't all bad. The rooms were great, very clean, roomy and well decorated. The patio lounge service, drinks, and lunch was wonderful. As was the dinner in the main restaurant. We invited guests to come up for dinner and the family style dining option made for a great evening. The main hotel and grounds looked wonderul as well.

I relayed my comments on the standard e-mail survey that you often get from the hotel chains and received an e-mail reponse from one of the managers. (I guess those surveys aren't anonymous). The response was cold, unsatisfying, and took no responsibility for any of my issues. I guess the tone wasn't set at the frond desk, the tone is set at the top.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank B'sbirdhouse
Dear B'sbirdhouse,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience at the Westin Bear Mountain and I'm very sorry to read that several issues impacted your stay.

I've sent your comments to team for review as we certainly do not want our guests to feel that we did not care about them or their needs while at the resort. As you can see from other comments, this is not the typcial experience.

As you mentioned, our surveys are not anonymous as they give us the opportunity to fix situations that occurred or make improvements as needed. We appreciate that you provided candid feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you found the response cold and unsatisfying. I know that was not the intention.

Next time you are in Victoria, I encourage you to reach out to our Front Office Manager or me to ensure your rooms are situated according to your needs.

We look forward to having you back so that we can show you what a true Westin Bear Mountain experience feels like.

Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. Nice hotel, a bit out of the way. Checked out and had a $36 extra charge on my my tab. Seems that there is a daily $15 plus tax charge applied to your room as a standard charge for all who stay. The extra charge was for Internet and club house fees which are charged to each room but are not in the base rate. The charges were a total surprise as no one indicate the "non-opt out" charge was going to be added to my account. They did mention extra charges for other items however. After much protesting directly to the manager the charge was removed grudgingly. Most places now charge for internet but you can opt out. Also I had to ask about the details of the bill and request a print out rather than being courteously walked through the charges. Just beware!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank VanIsTravellers
Dear VanlsTravellers,

We're very sorry to hear that you were surprised with our resort fee when you arrived and did not find value in what it offers our guests. It is not our intention to hide this fee, in fact, it is noted on several steps of the reservations process, on our confirmation emails, and communicated upon arrival both verbally and on our key packets. If you booked through a third party and the fee was not communicated to you in the process, I strongly encourage you to reach out to them directly with your concerns.

I hope the rest of your stay was enjoyable.

Minitonas, Manitoba Canada
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This Westin is suberb. We had a special package called Sunsational where we paid for 3 nights and had the fourth night free. Our room was upgraded to a suite upon arrival for free. We were given a $50 food credit when eating in their restaurant which had delicious food. We also were given a $5 credit for each day that we did our own housekeeping which amounted to $15. We were very happy with this package. This is the place to go also if you are a golfer.

Room Tip: Our room was in the Fairways building and was very quiet.
1 Thank Kathy B
Dear Kathy B,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Bear Mountain as your home away from home during your visit to Victoria. We're glad you enjoyed your Sunsational Savings package and appreciate you taking part in Westin's Green Choice.

We hope you have the opportunity to return very soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is one of the nicest Westin properties in Canada. A little hard to find but worth the effort. Great rooms and front desk ( Amanda). Restaurant needs more staff but I think they were caught off guard as this time we stayed over a long weekend . Would I recommend the hotel yes, and you don't have to be a golfer!

Room Tip: As for a suite and they might give you one if they are not busy.
Dear Quest1Canada,

I'm so pleased to hear that your enjoyed our Westin hotel and that Amanda from our Front Desk made you feel welcomed. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others on TripAdvisor.

We hope to see you again next time you are travelling to Victoria.

Revenue Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langford
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Abigail's Hotel
#1 of 49 in Victoria
Downtown
Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour

Been to Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!