Just got back from our stay with our hockey team from October 11-14, 2013. The resort was a great place to stay. The one bedrooms were more then spacious. The hotel was sold out for the weekend. Our team was spread out between the main building and I believe the Fairway building. I was booked in at the main building.
The first night upon arrival some of the families ate dinner at Bella Montagna. It was a busy evening. Our dinners took a very long time to get. Not sure if they were under staffed? The portions were very small from my opinion. After receiving my bill and glancing over it I noticed GST(5%) and PST(7%) charged on the bill. I believe after April 1,2013 PST(7%) is no longer charged at restaurants? I was a a little confused and did not question it as it was late and we had a early morning game and would keep it in the back of my head.
On Sunday the majority of our team ate the Thanksgiving buffet for dinner. It was a good spread and the food was good. Again after dinner I received my bill and checked it again. I noticed the same charges of GST(5%) and PST(7%) tax. This time I asked the waitress and she had no idea about the PST so I asked to speak to a manager who said he had come from Alberta and also was not sure but would look into and would let me know as I was again charging the bill to my room. A few of the Dads and Moms stayed for a few drinks over at the lounge after dinner. The new bartender Curtis was friendly. For curiosity I asked if the bills had PST(7%) at the lounge and he took a look and said no just GST and the liquor tax. I have not heard back from the Manager as of today.
I checked out Monday morning and for the heck of it I asked the front desk about the PST tax in the restaurant. He also said he was not sure but said there was an email he saw earlier regarding it. I asked if someone else had mentioned it but sad he wasn't sure.
I'm not sure if I'm the only who has noticed this finally after only just over 6 months but there would be a lot of people who paid PST(7%) tax on the food bills at the restaurant. I'm not sure if the room service is also charging it as I did not order it?
I recommend whomever eats at the restaurant to check their bills if they are being charged PST.
I hope this was just a computer software problem but in the end it's 7% tax that no one should have been charged as of April 1,2013.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort & Spa, Victoria hotel features 36 holes of Nicklaus Design golf. Indulge in a beauty or wellness treatment at the accredited Sante Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Starwood, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort And Spa
- Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Hotel Victoria
- Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Hotel
- Westin Victoria
- Victoria Westin