“How to turn Great into Good”

Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Langford
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Everyone wants to turn good into great. Here is a good example of how to turn what should be great into something just good. Bear Mountain has a great facility, a great setting and a great location but they sure flubbed up my visit.

The front desk set the tone. I booked two rooms as I was travelling with my 96 year old Aunt. Although we were checking in early they had us on different floors and couldn't do any better. The front desk thought we should be happy we were at least in the same building! She just couldn't care less, I should have been happy just to be able to stay there. Finally, I figured out that we could at least be on the same floor if I upgraded one room to a suite. The suite was actually wonderful and we could have all fit comfortably but by then I wasn't going back to the desk. And watch out for the facility fee; it doesn't matter if you use any them or not.

The next issue came with room service at breakfast. We were on a tight time schedule so I specifically asked if they could deliver breakfast by a certain time and was assured that they could. Of course it didn't and we had about one minute to eat what looked like a delicious meal. The waiter was apologetic and said the time frame (which I thought was reasonable or I wouldn't have asked) just wasn't possible and shouldn't have been agreed to.

It wasn't all bad. The rooms were great, very clean, roomy and well decorated. The patio lounge service, drinks, and lunch was wonderful. As was the dinner in the main restaurant. We invited guests to come up for dinner and the family style dining option made for a great evening. The main hotel and grounds looked wonderul as well.

I relayed my comments on the standard e-mail survey that you often get from the hotel chains and received an e-mail reponse from one of the managers. (I guess those surveys aren't anonymous). The response was cold, unsatisfying, and took no responsibility for any of my issues. I guess the tone wasn't set at the frond desk, the tone is set at the top.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank B'sbirdhouse
WestinBearMountain, Manager at Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear B'sbirdhouse,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience at the Westin Bear Mountain and I'm very sorry to read that several issues impacted your stay.

I've sent your comments to team for review as we certainly do not want our guests to feel that we did not care about them or their needs while at the resort. As you can see from other comments, this is not the typcial experience.

As you mentioned, our surveys are not anonymous as they give us the opportunity to fix situations that occurred or make improvements as needed. We appreciate that you provided candid feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you found the response cold and unsatisfying. I know that was not the intention.

Next time you are in Victoria, I encourage you to reach out to our Front Office Manager or me to ensure your rooms are situated according to your needs.

We look forward to having you back so that we can show you what a true Westin Bear Mountain experience feels like.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed for two nights. Nice hotel, a bit out of the way. Checked out and had a $36 extra charge on my my tab. Seems that there is a daily $15 plus tax charge applied to your room as a standard charge for all who stay. The extra charge was for Internet and club house fees which are charged to each room but are not in the base rate. The charges were a total surprise as no one indicate the "non-opt out" charge was going to be added to my account. They did mention extra charges for other items however. After much protesting directly to the manager the charge was removed grudgingly. Most places now charge for internet but you can opt out. Also I had to ask about the details of the bill and request a print out rather than being courteously walked through the charges. Just beware!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank VanIsTravellers

Dear VanlsTravellers,

We're very sorry to hear that you were surprised with our resort fee when you arrived and did not find value in what it offers our guests. It is not our intention to hide this fee, in fact, it is noted on several steps of the reservations process, on our confirmation emails, and communicated upon arrival both verbally and on our key packets. If you booked through a third party and the fee was not communicated to you in the process, I strongly encourage you to reach out to them directly with your concerns.

I hope the rest of your stay was enjoyable.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This Westin is suberb. We had a special package called Sunsational where we paid for 3 nights and had the fourth night free. Our room was upgraded to a suite upon arrival for free. We were given a $50 food credit when eating in their restaurant which had delicious food. We also were given a $5 credit for each day that we did our own housekeeping which amounted to $15. We were very happy with this package. This is the place to go also if you are a golfer.

Room Tip: Our room was in the Fairways building and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathy B

Dear Kathy B,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Bear Mountain as your home away from home during your visit to Victoria. We're glad you enjoyed your Sunsational Savings package and appreciate you taking part in Westin's Green Choice.

We hope you have the opportunity to return very soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is one of the nicest Westin properties in Canada. A little hard to find but worth the effort. Great rooms and front desk ( Amanda). Restaurant needs more staff but I think they were caught off guard as this time we stayed over a long weekend . Would I recommend the hotel yes, and you don't have to be a golfer!

Room Tip: As for a suite and they might give you one if they are not busy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Quest1Canada,

I'm so pleased to hear that your enjoyed our Westin hotel and that Amanda from our Front Desk made you feel welcomed. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others on TripAdvisor.

We hope to see you again next time you are travelling to Victoria.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We were lucky enough to spend a week at this fabulous resort this week. Everytime you turn a corner or climb some stairs there is another amazing view. Barely put my camera away all week.
We began with a quick meal in the lounge and were amazed by the food quality from the first bite. All week our meals, including room service, exceeded our expectations.
Our one bedroom suite was perfect in every way. A lot of thought went into the design of the guestrooms. Housekeeping was polite and very good at their job.
With amazing views, amazing food and amazing facilities I have to say that the people who work here are the most memorable part of our stay. Thank you to all great staff!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
WestinBearMountain, Manager at Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear BC_Todd_11,

Thank you for sharing your Westin Bear Mountain experience with TripAdvisor. We love to hear that our associates were what made your stay so enjoyable. And we agree, there are some pretty amazing views here at the Westin. If you have any photos to share with us, we'd love to see them!

We hope that you have the opportunity to come visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Bear Mountain for three and half months, in a one-bedroom suite, while our house was being renovated. Everything from the suite to the service were excellent. The suite was spacious and beautiful and comfortable. We especially loved having a full kitchen (yes, full-sized appliances, a dishwasher and lots of dishes). The housekeeping staff were great and learned our likes and dislikes quickly and made sure to remember our specific preferences every time they serviced our room. Whenever we needed anything we just asked and it happened...no hassles...very friendly staff. The restaurants are fantastic, the pool is amazing. We really can't say enough good things about the hotel. We stay there regularly and have a stellar experience every time. It was a real home away from home for us this summer and we highly recommend it:)

Room Tip: Corner suites have a more private deck...and try to get on the back side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria S
WestinBearMountain, Manager at Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Victoria S,

We were happy to be your home away from home when you needed it this summer. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words about your experience and our associates. We delighted to hear that they made your stay so comfortable.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Until then, be well!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Westin Bear Mountain is beautiful, I mean really stunning! The interior is so pretty, with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the stunning vistas.

Our room was like a condo - we loved the heavenly bed - that's really what they call it! And we had a nice balcony off the living room area that afforded us incredible views.

It was a fairly short drive to the closest store, which had everything we needed to prepare dinner at "home". We expected BBQs available on property, but found none for guest use. We made the best of it and enjoyed both meals we ate in.

So 1/2 point for no BBQs... the other 1/2 point is for their on site classy restaurant. The service was poor, with wait staff acting totally put out that we were dining there! And the prices, holy moly! Really expensive - and we don't mind an expensive meal, but the food was mediocre at best. Too bad, and maybe the bar food is better.

All in all, we loved the location, the accommodations, but the food thing was a not up to par for such a fine establishment.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adnareel

Dear adnareel,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort and Spa. We're delighted to read that overall your enjoyed our hotel and our suites in particular.

BBQs would be a wonderful addition to our rooms and suites, however, they are not allowed based on our strata agreements.

I have shared your feedback about our restaurant with the Director of Food and Beverage. We appreciate that you took the time to share where we have room to improve and we will use your comments as a training tool for our associates.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort soon.

Revenue Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Langford
Four Points by Sheraton Victoria Gateway
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
#3 of 47 in Victoria
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Victoria
Best Western Plus Emerald Isle Hotel

Been to Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!