“Loved Villa Jibacoa! Very Relaxing Vacation!”

Villa Tropico (Cameleon Villa Jibacoa)
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Jibacoa
Truro, Canada
“Loved Villa Jibacoa! Very Relaxing Vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Villa Jibacoa for the first (but hopefully not the last) time from Sunday May 4 to Sunday May 11, 2014 for our one year wedding anniversary. We got an awesome seat sale a few weeks before our departure date of $574.66 per person taxes included! We felt that the resort was an excellent value for the money! We arrived in the middle of the night, changed our money at the airport (for a slightly better rate), and caught our bus to the resort where check-in was very speedy. We booked a bungalow, which was super cute and private! We stayed in bungalow #36 which was central to everything and faced the ocean. There was a bottle of Cuban rum, a Cuban cigar, two bottles of water, and some sandwiches waiting for us in our room upon check-in. The resort is small (only 110 rooms) so it was very quiet and you never had to wait in line for anything (food, drinks, pool/beach chairs). The beach was very nice and sandy with lots of beach chairs and shade trees for those people who like to stay out of the sun. The weather was excellent our whole stay (very hot and sunny, not a drop of rain or a cloud in sight). The snorkeling was amazing! I saw so many beautiful fish, as well as a large barracuda. Snorkeling is better down the beach in front of the Breezes Resort than it is in front of Villa Jibacoa, but that is only a 2 minute walk away. The tour representative, Roberto, was very nice and helpful. Make sure to go to your orientation/information session with him so you know about all of the great tours available. This resort is halfway between Varadero and Havana (abour 45-50 minutes from each) so we went to both cities. We went on a full-day bus tour to Varadero for $25CUC/person. We went to a few markets and a mall. We also stopped at the look-off/observation deck by the big bridge where the views were great and the pina coladas in a hollowed out pineapple were delicious! I also went on a full-day tour of Havana with Yosmany, one of the entertainment staff. He arranged it with his taxi driver friend and he came along as our tour guide. He speaks fluent English and was very knowledgeable. 7 of us went together in a big air-conditioned van, and it only cost $15CUC per person. He will take you everywhere and show you everything! The two side-by-side pools were nice and clean and only about 4 feet deep. There are lots of beach loungers and palm frond umbrellas around the pool. There are two bars at this resort: lobby and pool. They make amazing Spanish coffee at the lobby bar and there are never any line-ups. The entertainment staff are very friendly and will help you book/arrange anything you would like to do while you are there. Yoyonder and Yosmany are the two guys I found to be very helpful and friendly. The one a la cart restaurant at the resort, which serves traditional Cuban food, was delicious! We both really enjoyed the meal we ate there. We also went to two restaurants off the resort. Les 7 Francais where the owner comes and picks you up in his old 1954 car and you get more lobster than you can it. It was absolutely delicious and only $15CUC per person. I highly recommend going there for a meal. We also went to El Cacique where they have a more extensive menu again $15-$20CUCper person. I had the lobster and shrimp meal there, and it was fantastic!There are two more restaurants in the area that we didn't have time to get to, but we will be sure to check them out next time! One of them is on top of a water tower and if you go there at sunset it is gorgeous! There are a couple of little markets up the road where you can buy souvenirs. There is also a store on the resort where you can buy snacks, cigarettes, clothes, bathroom supplies, and alcohol (which you can take two 750ml bottles home with you). The maid who cleaned our bungalow daily was a sweet lady and very appreciative of the little gifts and money we left for her each day. There is one computer in the lobby that you can buy an internet card for . I believe it was $8CUC for an hour. The internet was quite slow, but if you were patient, you could get on and check your email/social media to keep in touch with everyone back home. There is a group hike up the mountain twice a week which is a must. The panoramic view from the top was breathtaking! There were always activities going on by the pool, too. The staff were very friendly, the food at the buffet was typical Cuban food, but there was always something good to eat! Don't listen to the negative reviews, this resort is a wonderful hidden-gem for being only 3 stars! We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Book a bungalow! Even numbers face the ocean; odd numbers face the mountains. We booked bungalow #36...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
13 Thank MeganBlanchard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, ON, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Stayed there end of March with husband, 8 year old daughter and sister in law. Stayed in a bungalow with a view of the ocean. It was fantastic. Staff was excellent, especially Yoander and Katia. Not much selection for food, but what was there was pretty good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank DeniseFromOttawa
Halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed here April 27th till May 4th with my 3 children. I'm a Dad and I was looking for a place that my three children and I could all enjoy and spend quality time together. This place fit the bill almost perfectly. I did my research and knew what to expect. The property is rated 3 star and it's appropriate in many ways however when it comes to the staff, cleanliness, beach and surrounding area, it is 4 plus star! As many have mentioned, Jibacoa is somewhat off the beaten path and is a very quiet resort. Just what I wanted with a 20 year old son, 18 year old daughter and another 14 year old son. We spent a lot of time together snorkeling, at the pool, at the beach and also did an excursion along with a day trip to Havana.
If you are looking for great food with lots of variety, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for decent food which is fairly repetitive but always something to eat, then it will suit you well.
If you are looking for high end accommodations with pillow top beds, this is not for you. But if you are looking for decent beds with big, clean rooms at a value price, then this is for you.
All in all, I definitely got great value for my money and I would stay there again. I would not however take my wife there as I know what comfort level she likes and this resort would not meet those levels.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank HalifaxCopyguy
Barrie, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Villas Jibacoa is a nice three star resort. The staff are very friendly and the service was excellent. The food was very good (for Cuba) and we stayed in one of the bungalows which was very nice. There is also a great taxi service with Carlos the driver and Jorge the guide who speaks excellent English Cell 58214494.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CarlosyCachita
Newmarket, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

I was taken part in a Charity Cycling Challenge this was the first hotel we stated in for one nights stay, we were in a block by the entrance the twin room was clean, had ample wardrobe space and a good equipped bathroom with a good shower, the air con worked, and we had wooden shutters on one side that opened onto a balcony, didnt see the pool but the beach looked gorgeous in the morning before we departed on our cycling as a previous guest stated we are in Cuba! so this is a basic 3 star, the food was basic and edible but did suffer from upset stomach but not sure where I got this from could of been the plane or the food from this hotel, not the worst hotel that wwe stayed in........

Room Tip: Coffee in the bar is nice
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Snare1974
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here from April 12-19th. First time at this resort but second time to Jibacoa. My husband and I vacationed at the breezes resort next door for our honeymoon 6 years ago. We stayed here as we now have 2 small children and other resort is adults only. I love love love this area in Cuba. Very quiet, remote and lovely lush mountains and trees. The vegetation is great surrounding resorts. Not as touristy as Varadero which we like. We were looking to get away for some fun in the sun didn't need too many amenities or trips.

Rooms: we stayed in rm 91 a little far from everything as it was in back part of resort but it was big in size. It could fit king size bed, a single bed and a large crib. Porch was nice and big which was good as my husband and I sat outside a lot while kids napped and slept at night. I didn't mind the distance to pool/beach. A little exercise didn't hurt anyone. We did have ants.. Primarily in bathroom. Maid kept room very clean everyday. AC worked well, beds were surprisingly comfortable

Resort/grounds
All bungalows and villas. Grounds well maintained. Park for kids. Lobby bar drinks the best. Rudy took care if us. Mosquitoes at night beware. Bring bug spray!! My legs got eaten badly lol.

Pool:
We spent lots of time here as we have 10 month old and 3 year old. We needed the shade close to water. Pool was clean and warm. There was a shallow side for kids and another deeper pool for adults. Sometimes took a bit to get drinks at pool bar. Chips at pool grill were yummy!!! Burgers and hot dogs also served there.

Beach;
Lovely quiet beach. However hard for kids to play in water as it is a bit rougher and rocky. We did bring water shoes as we remember the beach out front of breezes was rocky. The beach in front is much nicer than the breezes beach. The snorkelling is amazing!! A few windy days with Portuguese man o war. Which my daughter thought was very cool.

Staff: some staff members were great and others didn't seem too happy working here. The staff by the pool and nightly entertainment were fabulous. They taught my 3 year old how to dance and she loved the music and dancing. My husband left his iPhone at resort in lobby as we were catching bus for airport and Lyly an amazing receptionist found it and kept it safe until she could get it to Canadians we met down there to bring home for us. She called us right away when it was found. We are so grateful for her honesty and kindness.

Food: we could always find something to eat. Nothing fancy. My daughter even ate the food and she can be picky. Nobody got sick which was good. At times there was lack of cutlery, glasses and plates. But once you tip the servers they remember you and take care of you.

The only downfall was on our last day we needed to change shower and get kids ready to fly home and they said there was a hospitality room we could use. They said this room would be open but it wasn't and by the time we waited for someone to open it up it was too late and we were rushing to catch the bus. Which is how my husband left his phone.

All in all for the price of this resort my family and I would return here. We always said Jibacoa is the hidden gem of Cuba.

Stayed April 2014
7 Thank Obriencha
Vancouver BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Let's be realistic folks. THIS IS CUBA! Do your research.
A third world communist country.
Lower your North American standards and expectations and then be optimistic to experience Cuba as it comes - beautiful weather, people and adventurous as you make it.

No USA CREDIT CARDS
NO DEBIT - BRING CASH!
Exchange $ @ airport

Lovely resort for the $$
Off the beaten track
Small and cozy options
Yoander, the fitness room coach & dance partner- I love you
Yosmany- the activity coordinator speaks perfect English and kept us single girls dancin late into the night, playin Vball, baseball & ping pong. He was amazing!

Gorgeous grounds and beach
Not crowded
BOOK A BUNGALOW!
Expect a family camp setting with less kids ie: cabin like accommodations with lodge dining
Large rooms
Lovely deck
Bathroom counter space :)
Excellent closet space
Pay for the safe @ check in
Bring bug spray for day & night (sand fleas didn't get me- natural spray from Saje in BC)
Bring spices and condiments ie: garlic, HP sauce
Bring bars or meal replacements in case you sleep in or miss meal times or don't like food.
massages avail on beach
Joel will take you sailing
2 bars. Lobby bar for coffee & Spanish coffees (free) to die for!!
Pedicures (on the hush hush) by the woman pool staff to make extra $- just ask around. Mine was awesome and lasted 7 weeks!

Go to 3 restaurants off the resort: Ask Yoander or Yosmany to arrange. Reasonable prices!!
- the red gate restaurant. Short walk up the hill on the right. Moderate.

- the "Pink House". The owner picks you up in his red Taxi and drives you to his lovely house (but you can walk) where you have three types of lobster for dinner in the garden. Very good!! He also has a love nest room/suite for rent single people ;) should you choose to explore Cuban affection :))

The "Tower" restaurant - owner will pick you up. Family sings and dances (with you) and cooks the dinner @ the top of the stone water tower. best fries in the world!!! Go b4 sunset!! EXCELLENT

This will help with your food woes.

I highly recommend not catching your flight home, going south to Santiago de Cuba for fabulous musica, salsa and people with small town charm for a week at least.

Fly home on points or something like I did. Loved it there!!

See Casa Particular review of Vasa de La Kenya in Santiago. My own apartment.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
12 Thank 10-62
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jibacoa
Starfish Cuatro Palmas
Sol Sirenas Coral Resort
Sol Sirenas Coral Resort
#35 of 63 in Varadero
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,862 reviews

Been to Villa Tropico (Cameleon Villa Jibacoa)? Share your experiences!