“Beautiful!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Tropico (Cameleon Villa Jibacoa)

Villa Tropico (Cameleon Villa Jibacoa)
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Jibacoa
Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
“Beautiful!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We went here the first week of January. I chose this based on the reviews and the price.There are a lot of helpful reviews on here. This was our second trip to Cuba. The grounds and beach are beautiful at this resort. The staff are so nice here and the ones who have better English love to practice it with you. To have a better trip I recommend that you take a Dukkoral vaccine before going to Cuba, and to bring some Cipro as it is hard to get here. Cuba is a challenge to your stomach so use the boil it, cook it rules or you will be sorry. The restaurants up the road Los Marios and El Cacique are both great.
Things to bring
-Dont forget flashlights you need them at night.
-Your own pillow and blanket if you can fit them
- Lots of snacks
_ Your own snorkel
_ Stuff to trade beach sellers for souvenirs . They like clothes
Bathroom stuff, tylenol, shoes, old cell phones.
_ Shoes that you can walk far in comfortably
_ Cipro and kaopectate and any other meds

• 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Cindy F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Polish first
Wellington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

This January was my eighth return stay at Villa's Jibicoa. I found the food to very good and plenty of it. There was excellent roast pork, chicken, turkey and fish (fresh catch of the day). The soups and pastries were excellent. Also there was plenty of fresh fruit and dairy product. The staff are welcoming and friendly.

For the price this resort is a phenominal deal and I will be returning next year for my ninth visit.

10 Thank Bob D
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I read a lot of these reviews before we left so I should add my two cents worth now that we are back! We spent one week at Cameleon Villas Jibacoa at the end of Jan, the 25th to Feb 2nd. I have never been to an all inclusive before and my husband and I have traveled a lot before but now that we have 2 small kids and the prices for an all inclusive to Cuba are basically cheaper than just the flight, we thought we would give it a try. I really didn't want a place that was too big or too fancy. We like camping and backpacking so this place was much better for us. Its all small bungalows so if you are there with kids its very easy to hangout outside on the lawn. The grounds here are really beautiful and its small and easy to walk around. Our 5 year old loved it since it was very small and safe, he could have a lot of freedom. The beach is beautiful, good snorkeling and easy access to the reef.We took a paddle boat out so our 5 year old could snorkel on the reef too. The paddle boats are included with the package for the use of the guests which was a nice bonus. Lots of natural shade under the trees on the beach.
The staff were wonderful, the food is nothing fancy but at least you won't eat too much! the bar drinks were excellent. This is a quiet place, when we were there it was mostly older people but there were a few other families and a few other young folks that we hung out with. There isn't much entertainment but they do have some live musicians that come a few nights a week including a large traditional Cuban band that performed one night and they were amazing. The trumpet player started teaching my son how to play and he really inspired him and now he is going to start lessons here in Montreal!
The weather at the end of January is not really beach weather so you have to be prepared to keep yourself busy with cultural stuff. It was really windy, overcast many days and I guess January is also Portugese Man of War (jelly fish) season. ugh! although they had cleared up in the last days we were there. The next time we go to Cuba I will probably try to go later in the season.
We went into Havana for 2 day trips.We took one of the old taxis for 70CUC a day. That is for 7 hrs and if you want to stay longer, which we did it will be about 10CUC extra per hour. The driver will either guide you around or pick you up and drop you off where ever you want. We had friends to visit so he waited and then took us and our friends to another place, waited picked us up..etc. basically you have a private driver for the day. The second time we went we shared the taxi with another couple and these cars are so big you can fit quite a few people inside! Its 50 a minute drive from Jibacoa to Havana. So not too bad for a day trip. We loved Havana. Its a very vibrant and beautiful city. There seemed to be some really touristy areas right in old Havana which I would say to skip as quickly as possible but just being around the other parts of the city was really interesting.
Anyway...I would recommend this resort if you are looking for quiet, charming and simple resort in a gorgeous area with easy access to Havana. I would go back!

Room Tip: all of the even numbered rooms are the ocean facing rooms and they have a bigger "front step&qu...
7 Thank Mimosa26
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Travelled Jan 22 - 29, 2013 with my 19 year old daughter.

Having travelled to Cuba before, we knew what to expect with regards to food and accommodations.

Villas Jibacoa is an older property, but kept very clean. I am not bothered by cracks in the pavement, the mosquito population or weather that does not co-operate. I AM bothered if I don't have clean facilities. NOT an issue at this resort. The maids, are meticulous and our room was always cleaned to 5* standards. The tablecloths in the buffet could have been laundered more often, but this in no way detracted from my enjoyment of the resort as a whole.

Great small, quiet resort in a park like setting. Sea in front of you and mountain at the back.....paradise. Right between Varadero and Havana. Closer to Matanza. All would be great for day trips. Or, stay on the resort - poolside or on the beach.

Rooms: As above, spotless.
We had a few ants in our room (mostly the bathroom) but these are much smaller than the ones that invade my own home every year. If they bother you, bring ant spray but seriously, if this is the only issue with our room, then whatever....I can live with it. There was a small amount of mold on the bathroom ceiling, but again, nothing I can not live with. Always ample toilet roll (we were left a fresh roll when ours was running low).
Each bed had 2 pillows in one pillow case, and this was more than adequate. Beds were firm, but I slept perfectly the entire week. Much better than I have been sleeping at home!
The room had 3, 3/4 (large single) beds, a desk and wobbly stool, tv (with lots of Canadian channels incl. CTV Ottawa and a Winnipeg station), bar fridge, chest of drawers, safe, hangers, and working AC.
Our room (98) was in a row of 5 bungalows, all facing forward, near the back of the resort and close to the pool and amphitheater. Yes, we heard the entertainment each night, but it wraps up by 11 ish, so was never a problem.

Food: Food and drinks were (surprisingly) very good. From other reviews, I either had realistic expectations, or we hit a good week for the buffet :) Yes, it is repetitive, but all the food was cooked well and the pork in Cuba is second to none. There is always pasta with 2 sauces, always breads / rolls and some salad items as well as fruit and icecream. It is not necessarily what we are used to in Canada, but for one week, not a problem. We did not eat at the a la carte as we heard from numerous people it was the same buffet food, but served to you as oppossed to getting it at the buffet. We were happy with the buffet and liked being able to see what we were choosing and serve ourselves, so we stayed there.

Drinks / bars: Excellent. Not watered down like the other resort we went to. Bar staff is super friendly and always willing to give you an extra pour if you want more rum (etc) in your drinks. These poor guys must make 100 Spanish coffee a day, yet they never even blink an eyelid when you ask for one (right after the last 3 ppl to get them !). We had only great service from both bars. So you can not get beer in the lobby until after 5 pm - big deal. Walk over to the pool bar and get it there.....or get 2 - it's a 4 - 5 min walk to the pool bar - enough to build up your thirst ;)

Reception: Most on reception were very friendly. We only had one lady that was anything but. However, the next time we talked to her she was fine. Likely a bad day - we all have 'em!

Fitness Centre: Excellent! Small but very well equipped. Trainer on site to ensure safe operation of equipment and to assist in any way.

Beach: Fantastic! Definately the best part of the beach belongs to CVJ! To the right (as you face the water) is Breezes. Beach there is more pebbly / rocky. To the left are Cuban campgronds and as you approach, the beach gets very rough with all the tiny shells. Main area is beautiful sand. Not as fine as Varadero apparently, but then it does not blow all over the place with the high winds we expereinced while here.
Watch for the flags on the beach - green is clear (we did not have any), yellow is caution and red, obviously, don't swim. We thought they had to do with the waves / undertow. Nope - they refer to the presence of the Portuguese Man-of-War! You do NOT want to get stung, so be careful and watch the flags.
We had the opportunity to snorkel only one day, but it was well worth it. Beautiful fish and coral that are easily accessible a short swim from the beach. If anything, there is so much coral here there is only a small area to swim where there isn't any close to shore (area marked by 6 bouys). Had the weather cooperated, we would have been out everyday - at least until we saw the stingrays (or mantarays!). My daughter would not go near the water again ;) As with most other creatures though, they won't bother you if you don't bother them.

Entertainment is beyond lame. Don't go here expecting much and you won't be disappointed :) We were going to relax, not for the nightlife, and we got exactly what we were looking for.

Tours / Trips: NOT impressed with the Nature tour we went on. We felt very rushed and did not have a decent amount of time in any one place. We were not able to snorkel on the trip due to the red flags so we felt a bit ripped off. There was no backup plan either which there should be, given the amount of red flag days this area gets. Still, we did get to see Matanzas as we drove through it, the Saturno and Bellamar caves and 1/2 hr swim at Saturno.
We also did a cab tour to Havana in a 1955 Plymouth - fantastic. Our driver did not speak English, but we also had a guide with us - Ana - who did, and she was fantastic. Cost is 70 CUC for the taxi, and the guide works for tips. We gave her 40 CUC as she was really good and took us to everything we wanted to see. There was only one place she was unaware of but she tried very hard to find it for us. Had I had the exact location, it would have been easier. Still, we shared the cost with a couple we had met, so the 4 of us had an all day tour of Havana (left at 9am dropped off at 5pm) for 110 CUC (plus lunch)- can't beat that! These taxis are easy to book - look for them in front of the hotel every evening, as someone is always coming back from their day in Havana!
If you are adventurous, there is a car rental right on the property with new cars. Do the drive to Matanzas and the caves yourself! MUCH cheaper, you won't be rushed, and you can stop at other spots we were unable to. There is a restaurant of sorts at both locations if you are not game to stop at one of the roadside places.

Other: There is a store on the resort that has a good selection of drinks / snacks / souveniers / smokes etc, all at reasonalble costs (as good or better than other places).

Los Marrios up the hill is really nice for a change of pace. 15 CUC for 2 lobster tails, small shrimp, piece of fish, rice and beans. Drinks are extra but cheap and you get amazing fried plantain chips with sea salt to start. YUM!

Also up the hill there are 2 women who sell souveniers (left side, across from the first restaurant). You won't find a better price so don't insult them by bartering too much. Both women have children (teen girls, on boy 5 and one about 8). Feel free to take things for the kids - they are so appreciative.

Juan Carlos has a massage hut on the beach (to the left, towards the Cuban campgrounds). He is a professional masseusse who used to work at the resort. Once the resort changed hands, they no longer offered the service, so Juan Carlos went out to the beach and now works for himself. If you are interested in having a massage during your stay, book early. When he is not with a customer, you can book a time - 1/2 hr 10 CUC , 1 hr 20 CUC - a bargain. Ladies beware - he is a professional, but really gets to ALL your muscles (a little low on the butt and high on the thighs!!)

I am sure there is so much more I could say. However, suffice to say we had a beautiful, relaxing time. Just what we required!!!

Will definatley return to CVJ - now I know why so many people do!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 - 10 all have excellent ocean view. Ask for bungalow room, NOT new building
22 Thank theartisans
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Nice staff, beautiful location, notoilet paper in bathrooms and food was terrible, worst i have ever had, very little choices. The fish was catfish all week, tomatoe sauce was really tomatoe soup, no french fries, terrible, i would not go back to jibacao if you paid me to, it was terrible, travellers beware!!!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank L H

Travelers are raving about these Jibacoa hotels

Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

We were there in January 2013 with a group of 16 people (18 months to 62 years) and not a single one of us had any complains. This resort is perfect for easy going, open minded nature lovers. There is not much entertainment during day or at night, but tons to do, if you can entertain yourself.

Rooms: small but clean. Not much closet space. Big shower with lots of hot water and good water pressure. Bungalows are spread all over the place, but it won't take longer than 10 minutes to get from one end of the resort to the other.

Beach: Clean with golden sand. Lots of chairs and shade under the lovely trees. Snorkeler's paradise with coral reef right offshore. Don't expect the sandy, turquoise water like in Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria.

Food: Not as bad as I was expecting. There is enough food for everybody, no matter what time you go for your meal. The choice is not the greatest, but none of the 16 people in our group was ever hungry, or got any stomach problems. Right after breakfast, until dinner, there are hamburgers, hotdogs and chips served by the pool. The restaurant just up the road to the left of the resort is well worth the trip and the $15!

Bars: Friendly bartenders. Usually no lineups. Good quality drinks. Pool bar closes at 1am. You will find the best Spanish coffees at the lobby bar.

Activities: Snorkeling is a must! Go for the free hike up the hill. It is pretty steep but it only takes under 10 minutes to get to the top (bring water!). View from the top is very rewarding. Tip your guide and take something for the old farmer on your way down.
We hired a taxi cab to take us to Havana. It was beautiful! Very safe and well worth the visit.

If you're looking to relax in a quiet piece of paradise, you'll love it! If you like 24h service or party and entertainment, then this will not work for you. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Don't expect to pay for a 3* and have service and facilities of a 5*. Be open minded, easy going and friendly and you'll have the time of your life for a low price. Enjoy!!

20 Thank AgaD77
Pembroke, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have traveled extensively in the Caribbean and many times in all-inclusive resorts. This was my 4th trip to Cuba and my first at this resort. All of the reviews I read before going were spot on: Bland food with few choices, incredible staff, high-quality drinks, jellyfish and PMOW threat, dated rooms and quiet. Before I jump in I must confess that this is the least amount of money that I have ever spent on an all-inclusive trip ever! So, any complaints that I list here are for the benefit of those traveling after me and not, in fact, a personal complaint.

The Good:

This staff is among the friendliest I have come across. They genuinely want to please their guests. I did witness some grouchiness when guests were making unreasonable requests ("I want another room" and the hotel is full) or the SINGLE front desk person attempting to check in 50 people off the bus (bad planning by management), but smiles were plentiful and tips were appreciated but not mandatory to receive great service.

The drinks were top-notch! I have been at all-inclusive resorts before where the drinks are so watered down that you can drink all day and never feel a thing. Not so here. High quality and made with care (rather than slopping a premixed concoction in front of you).

Public Relations personel: Odet. This woman was an absolute doll in assisting us with celebrating our anniversary. She tracked us down to deliver the ticket for our reservation, she visited our room to make sure everything was OK, she delivered flowers from her own garden with a sign saying "happy anniversary". She is top-notch.

Snorkeling is incredible. Lots of opportunity for the novice and expert alike. This, for me was both a negative and positive because there are so many days where the red flag is up and the Portuguese Man of Wars are everywhere. When that happens and you want to snorkel it's torture! This incredibly dangerous animal is the main reason that I would not go back to this resort. Getting stung by this thing would do more than ruin your day.

Rooms: As my fellow reviewers have pointed out the rooms are dated and in need of repair. That said, their disrepair had no ill-effects on our visit and they were clean.

The Bad:
Oh Lord the food. It is bland and scarce. We expected bad before we booked (thanks to our fellow reviewers) so we brought some spices and Franks Red Hot with us which helped the situation a lot.

The buffet organization: This area is incredibly disorganized with specialty items being grilled right in the middle of the lineup holding everything up. They need to get those grills (omelet station) off to the side so that if I don't want an omelet I don't have to wait behind those who do to get at the potatoes.

The biting bugs: I've spent some time camping in the Canadian woods and let me tell you these tropical buggers have got our mosquitoes beat. That said, they leave their marks but they don't itch all that much. Just be sure to spray yourself especially at night.

We did not enjoy the trip to Havana. We took reviewers advice and hired a car for $70. Our guide's English was not good enough to convey the necessary information and the lunch we had for $20CUC ea was not great with very poor service. Havana itself wasn't much to look at and we all agreed afterwards that our time would have been better spent snorkeling.

The Ugly:
There is a man working at the buffet who found us near the lobby one night and attempted to sell us a lobster dinner that his friend would prepare and "discretely deliver it to our table at suppertime". He claimed to be the food service manager but I have my doubts. If this is not the tackiest thing I have ever heard of I don't know what is. We did see someone beside our table eating lobster one night at the buffet so obviously people do take him up on this. If the resort is endorsing this then they need to put a sign up and offer it publicly not like some crack salesman seeking people out on the sly!

The Nolitours Rep (think his name is Roberto) gave us some very wrong information. When I asked him at the briefing, and I quote, "what about the jellyfish?", he said "there aren't any, it's the wrong time of year". Well there were TONS washed up on shore 2 days later and for the rest of the week it just got worse. Why would this man outright lie? Go figure. This same man told us there was a bar-b-q held outside at lunchtime on a certain day ...well it never happened.

Bottled Water: The resort gives you 2 large bottles of water when you arrive and you are encouraged to take them to either the bar or buffet to refill them so one night my husband brought ours to the buffet and the server took it away and my husband watched him fill it from a tap outside the restaurant door. Well, I'm not sure how sanitary that was but we dumped it when we left and filled it at the bar.

Washing Dishes: We watched the lobby bartender "washing" the cups people had used and there was no soap in the water. Yikes!

Overall: There is a special place in my heart for Cubans. These are highly-educated people who deserve the highest respect as they attempt to better their lot in life. I hate when a traveler cheaps out on Cuba (spends as little as possible to go) and then cry that the food was bad. You can get good food in Cuba if you pay an equivalent price as say for a trip to Punta Cana. Really would you buy a Big Mac and complain because there was no silverware and cloth napkins on the table? I guess I'm saying to keep your perspective when visiting. This resort is not for everyone. If you can keep your expectations low and adjust accordingly (ei;bring some spices, snacks, bug repellant and wait for a great deal) then it's a green light.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
21 Thank Penelope1970
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jibacoa
Sol Hotel
Hotel Villa Lodge 4 Epices
Hotel Villa Lodge 4 Epices
#5 of 7 in Grand Cul-de-Sac
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Villa Tropico (Cameleon Villa Jibacoa)? Share your experiences!