“Owner's Week Off!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Martin de Villereglan
Chateau de Villereglan
UK
“Owner's Week Off!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We took the whole 'Chateau' for seven days. The house (I do think 'Chateau' is stretching it!) is spacious and easily accommodated our family group of seven. The village is a ghost town apart from Saturday nights when you can hear people having get-togethers. There is no bar/shop/life. It is a shame there is nowhere to buy fresh bread or have a beer without getting in the car. There is an excellent supermarket five minutes drive away and the town of Limoux has bakeries, butchers etc. The market, however, was rather disappointing with a distinct lack of produce (cheeses, meats, salad etc) which we have always previously found in French markets.

There were 52 steps from the ground floor to the majority of the bedrooms. This would certainly present a problem for anyone elderly or slightly infirm and was not mentioned prior to booking.

Bathrooms were newly done with good showers and plenty of towels. Beds were comfortable but, yet again, I was glad to have my own pillow. (Why does this crop up time and time again in my reviews? How difficult is it these days to provide decent quality pillows?)

The kitchen was well equipped though the ice-maker struggled to keep up with the seven of us so it would fight a losing battle with a house full.

The ping pong table had one broken bat...that was it, so we bought our own (at the supermarket). We had been told the swimming pool would be cleaned/checked regularly and that someone would come to tend the garden. They came once. The pool is a sun-trap until mid-afternoon and feels very enclosed within a high wall and planting. Any views from this property are solely from the top floor bedrooms. One of the sun loungers was broken. Metal tables and chairs, while looking nice were rusty. A stool in the sitting room had a broken leg...luckily no-one sat on it.

We were told (on arrival) to keep shutters closed at night to avoid bat invasions. To do this necessitates leaning alarmingly out of the windows to pull the shutters in as if they were not secured 100% they banged all night.

On arrival we were told the three cats living at the property could be 'removed'. Due to one of our party being allergic to cats (there was no mention of their existence in any information on the house though, I suppose we should have asked) we requested their 'removal'. The owner suddenly didn't seem pleased. One cat remained and it became a pantomime keeping it out of the house, especially at night.

As expected, cleaners arrived 30 minutes before our departure then proceeded to sit outside smoking while we ran around stripping beds, and taking rubbish and bottles to the refuse collection point in the village by car. That this was not included in the substantial cost incurred renting this property I find incredible. Does the owner expect her B&B guests to strip their beds and empty their own garbage? I doubt it.

If you are looking for a French rental property I would not recommend this. Rather look for something with a view, shops/restaurants you can amble to and windows you can keep open during hot weather! It seems to me that if you take this whole property you are giving the owner a week off...at your expense!

Room Tip: There are two bedrooms on the first floor, which share a bathroom and sitting room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank UkBruno
Villereglan, Owner at Chateau de Villereglan, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a revieuw about my property, but as I can read you were not very happy.
What a shame you didn't tell me this while you where staying a few hours longer as the check out time and you told me you had such a nice holdiday and the house was so enoumously clean.
We always come an half an hour earlier to see and ask if everything is fine and went well als as I have mentiond with arrival this is also a service for our guests.
As a holiday rental there are other rules than for a chambre de hotes guest, as is told in the rental contract from Pure France you need to leave it behind as you found it. That counts for all holdayrentals.
For the bad of the ping pong table you could have asked me there are more in the poolhouse.
The chatters have special metal grips so you can atach them easly so they won't slap but why didn't you ask me? as wel for the bats? you can open your windows and close your shutters half way, the house is made to stay cool in summers. But there is nothing as a batinvasion!
And I came 2 times to check the pool as I really notice you didn't like as I came while you were there, so I came once when you weren't their to check the pool, to be as discrete a s possible for you.
For the Cats maybe there was a cat of the neighbours bothering you but mine where 20km away from you.
It is really not a week of holiday when i have people staying in my own private house, I try to do everything I can to make it as good as possible for my guests, so I'm very sorry to read this after.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
staffordshire
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Chateau. The accommodation is large and beautifully furnished with a genuine French feel. Isabelle informed us it had historically belonged to the village Baron. Our room was at the top floor and had a large adjoining room for out teenage daughter as well as a lovely spacious bathroom with the prettiest view of any bathroom I have stayed in before, over-looking the roof-tops and distant vine-yards. It was magical to open all the windows and push back the shutters each morning for the beautiful views. Breakfast in the grand dining room was lovely with cooked hams, cheese and boiled eggs as well as French yoghurts, fruit and croissants. Isabelle was very helpful when asked for directions or suggestions of suitable locations to visit and she kindly booked a table for us at the nearby Domaine Gaydar restaurant on two occasions. The village is very quiet without even a small shop so a car is a must but visitors [including ourselves] all seemed to have cars for their planned touring of the area. We loved it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HCMC
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We arrived by bike from Carcassone had a nice room in the garden and relaxed in the swimming pool. Beautiful restaurant on 30 min biking distance, but understand that dinner can be arranged at this wonderful B&B. Isabelle has created her own little paradise.

Room Tip: We like the garden room with private sitting area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tripoli, Libya
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed for five nights while attending a family wedding nearby and had a wonderful stay. Service was excellent, and we were made to feel very welcome by Isabelle. We loved our room, it had everything we needed and was very tastefully decorated. Would certainly visit again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Colorado, United States
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed four nights at this beautiful chateau in the heart of the Languedoc. Built in 1750, the house holds such stories and allure! Our room was wonderful--sitting area with daybed, his/her shower, lovely and comfy bed with embroidered linens. Isabelle is a joy to talk to and is a fabulous cook--be sure to stay in for dinner one night! The chateau has various outdoor gardens and seating areas, plus a lovely pool and lounging area. I loved the great trees and shrubbery. Isabelle has done an amazing job restoring this chateau, from the polished floorboards to the frieze in the butter-yellow dining room. The chateau makes a great central base for sightseeing: Cathar castles, Albi, Montpelier, hot springs and sea...all within easy drive. Thanks, Isabelle, for a glorious vacation stay!
Monica and Frank

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet and beautiful, with deep natural brick sills, huge wooden shutters, iron bed...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Staying four nights at the Chateau de Villereglan was a highlight of our holiday in this part of France. We had the most beautiful bedroom, bathroom and sitting room in the Chateau. Isabelle looked after us so well we never wanted to leave. Lovely breakfasts and wonderful evening meals with great local wine. There was no need to drive anywhere in the evening as we felt like royalty dining in a sumptuous setting. Isabelle made good suggestions of what to see in the area and it is a great way to get a taste of the beautiful Pyrenees. Isabelle is a delightful person to talk to and we hope her business thrives. We are so grateful to her that she shared her home with us - we had an unforgettable time here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KJ57
St Albans
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We rented this property this summer for 3 weeks with loads of family and friends coming to stay during our stay and it was fantastic the house is massive with lots of bedrooms/apartments. Kitchen cooking facilities were better than my home, great private pool lovely out side eating areas airport is only 25 minutes away - only draw back was coming home

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hotel Montsegur
Hotel Montsegur
#24 of 39 in Carcassonne
Hotel de la Cite Carcassonne - MGallery Collection

Been to Chateau de Villereglan? Share your experiences!