“Nice hotel just don't get ill while skiing”

Sporthotel St. Christoph
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I thought the accommodation was very good and the catering at the hotel was excellent.
During our stay on the Thursday evening my partner was taken ill with a flu like illness. I called out the local doctor from St Anton as he was in a bad way. The doctor arrived at 7pm but it was too late to collect the prescription from the St Anton a bus ride away. The doctor prescribed some antibiotics and implied that the hotel would be able to arrange for delivery or collection of this medicine. The Sport Hotel is a large hotel, with no local pharmacy. I assumed having trouble collecting prescriptions would be a routine and easily solved problem. I thought that as I’d paid over £1000 and our party of 50 people collectively paid £50,000/week to Inghams that this would not be a problem. Initially I asked our rep if it would be possible to collect the prescription on our behalf so that I could enjoy my last day’s skiing. I was told that this would not be possible as ‘we are a UK company operating in a foreign country’. I also took the matter up with the Resort Manager who was quite frankly rude and unhelpful.

The whole attitude of the reps and Inghams to me is wrong there was no assistance offered not even a lift to pick up the medicine. Sorry but I paid good money to Inghams and there was no assistance offered in return which I believe as a customer I am entitled to. Where were the reps when I needed them most??
The following day I decided to book a taxi before 8am. This took over half an hour to turn up for which I had to pay 44 euros return. I thought the hotel assistant ‘manager’ was utterly useless no follow up call was made when the taxi did not turn up.
If there was a serious medical emergency at the hotel I doubt if the staff would be much help. I'm not sure who gave this hotel 4.5 stars they clearly have never stayed there themselves.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cherry90

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We have just returned from a great holiday at this hotel. The hotel itself is wonderful, with a suberb location, ski hire shop within, clean spacious rooms, bar area and lovely pool. However, the point that sets this hotel apart from the others is the staff who are simply fantastic! At all times the staff were friendly, helpful and courteous. As a coeliac following a strict gluten free diet, it can be restrictive in some hotels but the restaurant manager, Rob and his team ensured that not only did I have nice food, but exceptional food, every day! I may have left on crutches, but I will always think fondly of St Christoph.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank MortonFife
Reviewed February 6, 2013

just returned exhausted from this place, and felt i should spread the word. The staff of which there are plenty were young happy and overly helpfull. the managment team had everything under control.
Hotel was well located very clean and spacious, pool was lovely and warm.
Food was prepared to a 5* standard in my eyes, well done chef.
St Christoph/Anton is a very difficult place for new skiers is the only down side.
Thanks All

2  Thank Matt306
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I can't understand the one very recent very poor review and I align myself with the most recent good reviews. This is an Inghams 'chalet-hotel' and the economies of pre-ordering for the next night's meal and staff night off, plus inclusive wine at meals and afternoon soup, cakes and drinks save £££s on the equivalent private hotel and introduce a good chance of some pleasant company at mealtimes and perhaps to ski with too. Staff are friendly and helpful and I can't understand some of the room reviews either. Our balcony room on 2nd floor had excellent bathroom (shower, not bath, glass screen, non of this earlier critical stuff about curtains). Room was warm (good, outside was cold!) but radiator in room turned off and opening hopper window/door to balcony if necessary would cool it down. Bathroom had its own radiator and was great for drying and airing our kit overnight.
Food was good and choice was plenty good enough ( choice of 2 starters, 3 mains incl. 1 veggie option, 2 desserts). Wine is French and fairly OK ( could Inghams rotate the choice from year to year please, it's looking and tasting a bit familiar now?). Staff 'night off' was actually covered in this resort by an optional 2 course chicken curry night at a surcharge as it is a bit isolated and the only other options would be in the upmarket neighbouring establishments or one of two Inghams fondue night out options. Curry night was not a feast but adequate and reasonably priced by local standards.
The 15 metre swimming pool was a big plus with complementary fresh towels at the entrance, poolside loungers and a fantastically warm surrounding area with a heated floor! The pool was clean and the water temperature was satisfactory and only cool by comparison with the air temperature - you almost needed to get in to cool down for a while!
Genuinely ski in ski out, the resort is best suited to committed skiers. There is nothing here in St. Christoph for the non skier - it is a hamlet, not a village, and it's main failing is that it lacks a shop - not even a filling station so nowhere at all to get fresh milk or snacks for example ( just supposing you haven't been fed well enough already).
Ski bus links are disappointing with an hourly bus between St. Anton and Lech passing through both ways and another on the half hour to/from the nearest end of Zurs in the morning going out and in the afternoons coming back. This latter bus is the best bet to catch as we failed to catch the 0922 bus from St Christoph to Lech as it was full and sailed past (they were actually running two, both full). Fortunately, another party of 5 approached us two and we went by taxi bus to Zurs for €28 which at €4 each was barely dearer than the bus ( the taxi buses hover like vultures just opposite the bus stop in the resort!). Even as good skiers, my son and I found the pistes in Lech and Zurs to be the nicest of the holiday in terms of variety, snow cover and nature including some wider faster switchback-ride red pistes of which the St. Anton side has none. The St. Anton side seems very red and sometimes narrow in parts ( the blues are 'red', the reds are red and the blacks are often fairly 'red' too!). Have fun!

2  Thank Dove C
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was my 4th year skiing with a group of 14. Having only been to Italy before it was a pleasure not to have to go through Turin.

From the moment we got there the staff were accommodating and wanted to help you have the best holiday, no question was too difficult From Rob the restaurant manager to Dan the pastry chef and of course the lovely Nicole, everyone was genuinely interested in your day.

We ventured into St Anton a couple of times to sample the Apres Ski there and we werent disappointed, we had to make sure we were back for the superb dinners!! The menu was fantastic every night, especially for a fussy eater! The meals were first class, hot and served in unison with the rest of the table.

This resort isnt for a beginner, the blues feel quite steep however there are plenty of options to go up the road to Lech or St Anton. Having not had a massively positive experience in ski school in Cervinia, Edith certainly made my experience in St Christoph positive and really listened and helped us.

Room Tip: I didnt hear anyone say they didnt have a good room however the lift only goes to the 3rd floor, you...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank VickyK84
Reviewed January 27, 2013

It was the first time we had chosen a chalet/hotel over a self catering holiday and we were not disappointed. We flew into Friedrichshafen and the transfer was easy and pleasant , arriving at midday at the hotel. All staff were pleasant and very friendly and happy to help at all times. They have all been brought over from the UK and trained so for such young staff doing their first season I was very impressed .
The rooms were acceptable with plenty of space and storage - however I was disappointed in that I paid extra for a balcony , which I assumed would be private with good views - however it was one long balcony with not great views or seating, so did not use as anticipated .
The food exceeded expectations especially the menus at dinner and we enjoyed the afternoon teas which were just the ticket after coming in from the slopes. We enjoyed the wine accompanying dinner ,although some members of a larger party took this to the extremes each night becoming rather noisy !
Enjoyed the quiz and karaoke night and the swimming pool and sauna were a great addition to relax after skiing . Would have enjoyed spa treatment offerings but this is no longer available.
We are intermediate skiers and enjoyed the range of runs across the region , snow was plentiful and weather perfect . Lech was a delight to ski in and my son enjoyed the snow park over in Rendell .
For the price and what it included this chalet/ hotel with its great location offers fabulous value for money .

Room Tip: Rooms without balcony seem to have better views
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JCW2612
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Dont listen to the bad reviews on here, if your used to paying £600-£700 for a skiing holiday this hotel is perfect, we went with a large group as we always do and this is one of the best hotels we have stayed in.

The location is perfect for families with the ski school and kindergarten meeting just outside the hotel so no hassle of the kids having to walk miles with their skis. If you have a room looking on to the slopes at the back you could watch them from your bedroom and the ski schools were small, the 2 youngest in our group had an instructor to themselves.

You can ski easily over to St Anton if you want some lively Apres and get a taxi or bus back, as Apres doesnt really exist in St Christoph and is its only fault really. The ski area was fantastic with some amazing wide runs for all abilities and we didnt ski anywhere near all of it.

The hotel food and wine were fantastic and the staff extremely helpful and polite, nothing was too much trouble for them, not that we really needed to ask for anything anyway.

We will definately return to this hotel again and highly recommend it.

Thanks Inghams staff for a great holiday!

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking up on to the slopes!
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Christoph am Arlberg
#16 of 57 in St. Anton am Arlberg
Hotel Alte Post
Hotel Alte Post
#18 of 57 in St. Anton am Arlberg

Been to Sporthotel St. Christoph? Share your experiences!