“Hidden Gem!”
Review of Beach House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in French River
Beach House Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 French River B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 25, 2010

If the quaint towns and hill aren't quaint enough for you, this place is the extra dose of PEI quaint you'll need!
The French River location is beautiful, off the beaten path away from the hoards of tourists and hotels in Cavendish. The B&B is at the end of a dirt road, a 5 min walk away from the ocean. The owners are an adorable husband and wife team who make you feel like you're an old friend or relative crashing at their house. Very hospitable, but not intrusive. My friend and I stayed in the Linden Room. Very clean and pleasant, I would definitely come back here again! Owners were also very helpful with pointing our local view points & light houses.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank strangers_road

Reviewed October 27, 2010

My wife and I stayed 2 nights. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our room, our view, and my wife loved the large red tub with a view! Brenda and Gary made us feel at home and cooked up an excellent breakfast. After a long day of golf or shooting pictures we love coming back to The Beach House to relax. I could have easily spent a week here. I highly recommend the Inn if you are in PEI.

Tom and Cory
Diamond Bar, California

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank T0mV
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I’ve never stayed on the north side of Prince Edward Island before, but when my boyfriend said he’d like to see the place I loved so much I was hoping to be near the sandy beaches of Prince Edward Island’s national parks. His only criteria was that he wanted an ocean view.

The Beach House Inn is a bed and breakfast accommodation, and it was the perfect getaway for us. From the time I called to make reservations, our host was warm and friendly, which to me was an indication of the service we’d receive.

How can I describe this place? Warm, inviting, artsy, very tastefully decorated with wonderful, hearty breakfasts. Accommodations include either rooms in the main house or cottages. Our room was on the second floor of the main house looking out over potato fields, woodlands, and the Gulf of St. Lawrence. We had a small balcony, and one night we sat outside star-gazing. I’ve never seen so many stars!

Speaking of our room, in addition to the bed, we had our own bathroom; desk; TV; sitting area with loveseat, chair and coffee table; small refrigerator; and small table with 2 chairs. The only change I’d make to our stay is to change the mattress in our room, but I’m calling that “charm.” Honestly, everything was wonderful.

If you’re looking for a romantic getaway, I’d recommend this place. If you’re looking to “get away from it all,” this is also the perfect place. For example, after our first meal there, we took a walk down to the lighthouse and beach, and on the way back saw a bald eagle and a red fox. Additionally, we weren’t far from tourist areas, shopping, and beaches, yet we were far enough away. The Beach House Inn is also very close to some fishing towns and you’ll pass through one of the most scenic little fishing villages on the island. It’s a beautiful place to relax – picturesque and peaceful.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vw777
Reviewed July 25, 2010

What a fabulous week. My partner and I stayed, along with my visiting sister, in The Lighthouse Cottage.

The weather was superb -- hot and sunny -- with only one day of rain. We quickly found our routine which usually involved two lengthy visits to the beach, one in the morning before it got too got, and one in the late afternoon. The beach was close enough to walk to in 5 minutes, but if you drive your car as close as possible, as we usually did as-- we had chairs, umbrella, books, lotion and towels to carry-- the walk to the beach was less than 2 minutes along a lovely grassy, flowery, sandy path.

The water was medium warm and because of the terrific location in a bay, the tide seems to change the water nearness and depth very little. The beach was sometimes completely empty and we were the ONLY ones there! Never was it crowded. A few families were usually there, and often with sweet doggies on the leash -- very humanely allowed at that beach!

Our cottage was clean and the kitchen was well-equipped for a group of 4 or 5 people. All appliances worked well. The couch, which could be pulled out to accommodate two other people, was just fine, and prettily accented with gingham throw-cushions. The walls were painted with lovely, artistically conceived colours, and on the walls were some spectacular framed and matted photographs, most taken by the very gifted artist, innkeeper, Brenda Lee. What a differences such touches make. The big black and white photo in the bathroom of a cow's side and rear end, complete with swishing tail, was a source of merriment and admiration all week long!

We were all very thankful the weather was good as the main "room" for the cottage is about 8' x 20' and that houses the appliances, the couch, a table and 3 chairs, so walking room is really at a premium! We had to take turns walking from the kitchen, which lines that room plus runs down the hall, to the bedroom! We all get along and the weather was terrific so we were able to extend onto the enormous deck most of the time. But if it had been bad weather all week, I have no idea what we would have done.

The view from the deck is lovely, and they have three of the great old chaise longues on it, all made of wood (even the wheels!) and they were topped by thick mattresses. Marvelously more comfy than the ones made today. As well, the patio sported a huge BBQ which worked beautifully, a small table probably made by Brenda, with dolphin tiles set into a rustic grey beachwood frame and held aloft by iron frames that looked a little like the sides of old schoolroom desks. A very old crabapple tree provided some deck shade, but when the sun was at its peak, we usually took our beach chairs out and sat on the fragrant green grass so typical of PEI landscapes, under the shade provided by a row of stately linden trees.

What might be improved in this lovely cottage? A mirror in the double-bed room would help --my sister had to always come to our room or tie up the one bathroon to apply makeup, do her hair, and so on. The bathroom toilet which cluncked when we arrived was rigged to stay still as soon as we mentioned it to Gary. I guess it will have to be more securely and permanently fixed. The lighting in the shower was almost non-existent as there was no light in it, and the opaque grey shower liner kept out all the light from the dimly-lighted bathroom. It was scary! I was afraid I would fall as there was only a short plastic facecloth bar to hang onto in the shower which is not intended to arrest falls. ( I am 68 and my partner is 74 and we are used to grab bars!)

What we particularly liked was the view, the deck, the lighting in both bedrooms so we could easily read in bed at night, the cleanliness, Molly the little beastie, Gary, Brenda's partner, who works every bit as hard as she at every task that needs attending to, and the sophisticated attitudes yet down-home friendliness, of both Brenda and Gary. My sister put it this way: "You can see them (the innkeepers), get your cottage "workings" explained to you, and from that moment on the innkeepers are completely non-intrusive. They were friendly enough, and we liked it that way!"

I wish we had known about the Shipwright Restaurant in Margate sooner in our stay. Be sure to look through the menus that the innkeeper points out on the inn table in the house as soon as you arrive. We loved our dinners and lunches at the Ship to Shore restaurant in Darnley, and at the Dunes in Brackley (but me, oh my, don't order the Pad Thais dish unless you LOVE salt!!)

We hope to return before the end of October. If we can't, The Beach House Inn will be included in our vacation plans again as soon as possible.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed in the Cape Cottage and although we had lot of space for a family of four it was really not that comfortable. Upon arrival we found the place not that clean. Toiletts were dirty, furniture was old, was trying to go for that old antique look but most of it should have been in a dump. I refused to sit in the couch as it was dirty and uncomfortable. The bed in the master bedroom was so old and squeaky not meant for a good nites sleep. Had a washer and dryer but the dryer was not working properly.
The owners were not that friendly and did not go out of their way to make you feel welcome. On a positive note the location was great and good access to a private beach.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank brenda97
Reviewed June 21, 2010

It is a long way from Sydney to Prince Edward Island so this was a once in a lifetime chance to see if the smallest canadian Province is as beautiful as LM Montgomery showed me in the novels of my adolescence. The Beach House Inn is in the middle of "Anne's Land" and its environs well and truly exceeded my hopes. The rooms offered at this B and B are large and furnished with a taste appropriate to the palce. There are views of the sea and of fields and,yes, just as Montogomery described. The homes that figured in the author's life are all just down the road and worth a visit for the architecture and ambience of the Island even if you are not well up on Montogomery.
The InnKeepers hospitality is friendly without being intrusive and her breakfasts are superb. There is also a kitchenette near the guest library where guests can make a cup of something or a simple meal. I only had four days on PEI so I did not give myself a luxury of a day "at home" at The Beach House but I could have easily done so without feeling bored and cooped up.A cat and dog who happily "work the tables" at breakfast and sleep serenely around the house contribute to the relaxation of the hospitality.
There is a lovely short walk from the BeachHouse Inn down to the entrance of the French River, another lovely walk along the beach and a typical PEI lighthouse to photograph. There is also a small well maintained pioneer cemetry to visit and to sit in its peace. On a fine day, the deep blue water of river and sea, the brilliant green of fields and the red of clilffs , beach and ploughed land certainly make the world of The Beach House Inn "the prettiest part of the Island."
I gibe The Beach House Inn my highest recommendation.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank cattyZsaZsa
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I have just got home from a fantastic stay at the Beach House Inn. I did a bit of reading from the other reviews, and that is what made me feel obliged to toss in my two cents (or whatever the exchange rate is at this point!!)

We had a lovely cottage that was separate from the main home, which had two full bedrooms with THREE bathrooms.....one of which featured a jacuzzi tub. I can assure you that the tub was utilized. While the cottage had a very basic look from the outside, I dare say that we were stunned/delighted with the ammenities that we discovered on the inside.

The inn-keepers were beyond lovely. Brenda is a fantastic chef, and hospitable inn-keeper. Gary is vivacious, engaged, and a real treat to encounter (when he isn't tending to his garden or giving fantastic directions and advise.) He invited my 3 year old nephew to pick vegetables in the garden, and I dare say that it may have been the highlight of my nephew's trip. He also provided us with a range of outdoor toys (frisbee, soccer ball, football, etc.) of his own accord.

The location is amazing, as it combines the lazy PEI fields with the stunning shorelines that are easy to forget when you are in the midst of the island. I have yet to see similar geographies in all of my travels.

This was my first year at the Beach House Inn, as I had stayed with my parents in the New London area in years prior. This was their second year at the Beach House Inn, and I am quite confident that it will be our Inn of choice in the near future.

Cheers!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Beach House Inn? Share your experiences!