“Very nice hotel with easy access to the Gare SNCF and downtown”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Chez Jean

and 1 more site!
Hotel Chez Jean
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Saverne
kansas
“Very nice hotel with easy access to the Gare SNCF and downtown”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is a very nice 3 star hotel that is a 5 min walk from the Gare SNCF. Turn right as you exit the gare and follow tha main avenue towards the downtown area.
The central part of the city is next door with many shops and restaurants.... what a beautiful town
in the vosges. Hotel restaurant was closed when i was there, but I hear it is very good.

Room Tip: Call in advance
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jksKansas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I recently stayed here with my elderly parents. We had 2 rooms.

The first one was a single with a truly fantastic faux-medieval princess bed.
The other room was a 2-floor suite with 2 bedrooms.

Both rooms were very clean and well-appointed and had spectacular bathrooms. If I could have one of these bathrooms at home, I would. It was important for the single room to have a shower, so I emailed them to see if that was possible. They were very helpful and answered all of my questions quickly and thoroughly.

We wanted to go to the restaurant, but it was full so we went down the street to the Italian place. It was good!

Also, Saverne is lovely and small. I didn't see any other foreign visitors, nor were there souvenir shops. It has some very lovely buildings - Taverne Katze alone is worth the visit. The day we were there one of the boats somehow managed to damage itself and the canal side as it was being raised in the lock. It seemed like half the town came down to the canal to see what was going on. I absolutely recommend coming here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Syrenne
Darlington England
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed at the Hotel Chex Jean for one night while travelling to Bavaria. Very nice hotel and room 36 was excellent with a large bathroom.
Unfortunately it was Sunday and the restaurant was closed and we needed to leave early the next morning so we didnt stay for breakfast, so I cant rate the restaurant.
Saverne is a very pretty town and pleasant to wander round with a large chateau and a canal running through the middle.
Overall, a pleasant if short stay. The hotel is very nicely decorated and at 90 Euros per night room only was reasonable value.

Room Tip: Our room 36 together with one next door were on the third floor and had a small very pleasant balcon...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wood-burners
uk
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Last minute decision to stop off in Saverne, led us to stay at the Hotel Chez Jean. It took me back to a bygone age, so much character and personality everywhere you looked. The owners were so welcoming and friendly, and luckily for us linguistically inept Brits they spoke good English. Free and easy car park access at the front of the building made it stress free. We did find that the room and bathroom was a little worn and out dated, the mini bar was a nice touch and the (car) radio certainly gave us the giggles. The bed was uber comfy and we slept like logs. The decor in the breakfast room had an old time wow, traditional yet a feast for the eyes. Breakfast was of a continental selection. I would have given this place 5 stars but the boyfriend was not as keen as i, so we compromised on a 4. I was certainly charmed by this large elegent, slightly worn and out dated hotel, on this occasion the wear and tear added to the character of this lovely French place. I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bluemoo76
Edinburg, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We were traveling as part of a tour and so were scheduled at this hotel for one night. It is a lovely hotel. Our room was of good size, bed very comfortable, and clean. The staff were very courteous and helpful. The dinner eaten here was wonderful with large servings. Breakfast was very good with a nice assortment of bread, cheeses, meats. We enjoyed our one night stay. We would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lorib91
Rome, Italy
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We spent one night in this hotel on our way from Italy to UK and shall definitely return. Beautifully presented and decorated throughout there is free parking directly in front of the hotel on what seemed to be a quiet street; for an extra charge we took advantage of the garaged parking. We received a warm welcome and were shown to a lovely room with spacious bathroom and excellent shower. A balcony gave onto the street and in warmer weather would be a nice place for breakfast. We had an early start so missed breakfast but we did see preparations in the attractive breakfast room and it did look good.
Not far off the motorway Saverne is a charming little town full of characteristic buildings with a canal flowing through it. There seemed to be lots of eateries though as we were there on Sunday evening our choice was limited. We were first directed to the Taverne Katz which we soon exited - though in a beautiful building it was just too touristy for us. We eventually found a nice little place and next time I would like to try the canal side restaurant La Marne where they have an outdoor dining area right by the side of the canal.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MargyIII
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Arrived late and left early, so I only used the hotel to sleep, shower and eat breakfast.

Found parking right out front but if you didn't they have a garage you can reserve for extra euros. Parking is free from 9pm to 9am.

Room was exactly as shown on the website, which is always nice. It was absolutely spotless...not a dust bunny, no stray lint, no odd stains. European style bed with no top sheet and a square pillow, but the pillow was on the firmer side so it was a little more like an American pillow. Basic furniture....2 twins pushed together, wardrobe, nightstands, desk, very small fridge.

Toilet separate from shower but both in the room....or, rather, in their own rooms within the room. Shower was fine, nothing to write home about. Wi-Fi worked with lightening speed and was free.

Breakfast was 9 euro and was OK.....meusli, youghurt, breads and jams, cheese and ham, canned fruit and some whole pears, oranges, kiwis, and hard boiled eggs that you boil yourself. There is an egg timer next to it, but it didn't work for me and I ended up leaving my eggs in double long so they cooked.

My room was on the street side and I did not get much sleep....the cars stop about 10 pm but start right up at 5 am. Church bells ring at 10 pm and again at 7 am. I am a light sleeper, so had I known how noisy the street was, I would have requested a room on the back side of the hotel.

Saverne looked like it would be nice to walk around in the daylight...unfortunately I had to get on the road right after breakfast.

The staff could not have been nicer and there is an adorable golden retriever puppy that may or may not visit you during breakfast.

Room Tip: Get one toward the back if you are a light sleeper, street is very noisy at night.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ashley97
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saverne
Hotel Europe
Hotel Spa et Restaurant au Chasseur
La Clairiere
La Clairiere
#1 of 3 in La Petite Pierre

Been to Hotel Chez Jean? Share your experiences!