WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bububu
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night as part of a group cycling round the island. On arrival we had a lovely welcome from Rose and Fritz, with a cold glass of Rose's Hibiscus drink. The service throughout was fantastic. The location was idyllic, particularly the beautiful bay. Food and rooms were great. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I always dreamed of visiting Africa. We picked the Hakuna because of all the great reviews it gets. We were not disappointed! The staff was wonderful, Rose and Fritz know exactly what customers are looking for. We were actually a little hesitant because the prices are so low. Who knew you could find such great service for only $240 a night! And there's so much to do right on the property, you may not even have time to explore the rest of Tanzania. We did do the spice island tour, that was very cool. We love cooking and gardening so that was right up our alley. The only downside is the most spectacular beach there is a few minutes away by shuttle. Not a huge disappointment but would be nice if we could have walked right out on it. The sunset views at the end of the day made it all worth it. If we ever get the chance to return to Tanzania, I know exactly where we will be staying.

• Stayed May 2013
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Every year my family and I pick a different and exotic place to go for a family vacation. Last year we went to Costa Rica, and this year we went to Zanzibar. The Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge and Spa was a very neat place to stay. The beach directly in front of the hotel is ok, but being from Florida beaches are a common thing, so it didn't exactly catch my attention... However, there was a gorgeous beach about five minutes away, in front of the hotel's beach house. We had a good amount of fun there, and my little cousins especially enjoyed building their sand castles and playing in the water. The little bungalows we stayed in were cute, my grandparents stayed in the one called Kilimanjaro, and it was very comfortable. They were nicer than the ones we stayed in when we went to Costa Rica by far. The customer service was top of the line, and even with a family as annoying and large as ours, none of the employees ever seemed to get irritated, they just smiled and helped us in any way they could. Overall the experience was one to cherish, and I'd recommend this for anyone seeking adventure, cultural differences, and a comfortable getaway.

Room Tip: The Kilimanjaro is the best bungalow that I saw...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dix Hills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I am a third grade teacher, and have done my fair share of traveling during my summers off. I enjoy visiting new places that are not the advertised cliche destinations. When searching for a destination my husband and I usually search for a more secluded destination and that is exactly what the Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa offered us. Our bungalow was private and intimate, with a vast view of the Indian Ocean. The amenities were all top notch, and enabled us the ability to enjoy the comforts of normal living like AC, Hot & Cold Water, room service etc. All while providing us with the most breathtaking views and an intimacy that we otherwise have a hard time finding. If I had to pick one thing that I would have improved on this trip is the availability of shopping. Although intimacy and seclusion is something we searched for I do like to shop as well, and there weren't many shops nearby. The prices were fair and we did not run over budget. Overall our experience is great and I would suggest friends and family to visit this destination for their couples getaway.

Room Tip: We stayed in the honeymoon suite bungalow, and the intimacy was just breathtaking. You could take a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

A great place to stay for people who love peace and quiet and excellent food! Swimming is also fine, both in the pool and the sea, which comes in reliably every afternoon. The staff is exceptionally friendly and obliging, and they take great pains to entertain the guests by beach dinners, special dinners in the ruins, etc. Rose, the owner, and Conny, the German manager, see to it that everything runs smoothly. We feel we have found a home in Zanzibar, and whenever we travel to Africa, we will definitely end our stay at Hamuna Matata again.
Susanne and Josef (Austria)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanneAustria
Billings, Montana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Off a friends recommendation, my wife and I decided to travel this little quiet and relaxing lodge in Bububu, Zanzani. At first, I was edgy but I soon relaxed at the friendliest of greetings from their staff. I then learned some of the history around the hotel and couldn't believe it was actually situated on the ruins of a palace built by an actual Sultan. Come to understand this lodge was just the tip of the iceberg in my history lesson to this country. Turns out that Freddie Mercury from the band "Queen" was born nearby in "Stone Town". Well enough with the history, but the food was to die for. I travelled alot and everytime I go somewhere new, it never ceases to amaze me what delicious avenues a certain culture could dream up. My wife, however, is a stickler and she wouldn't try the food. Sad to say, we only got to try the meals at the lodge the first day, and the rest we ate out in town. Other than that, the service was extremely important in helping us with anything we needed. Our friends were right and this was an excellent recommendation, and I would recommend this place to my friends as well.

Room Tip: Off a friends recommendation, my wife and I decided to travel this little quiet and relaxing lodge i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I recently got back from our East African honeymoon adventure, and the Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge was one of the best things about our excursion. We stayed at this lodge for 7 days and 6 nights and enjoyed every moment.

Our luxury bungalow was spacious and featured a huge king bed, beautiful décor including breathtaking artwork and artifacts, a spacious modern bathroom, and breathtaking views from our terrace. We were at peace each morning when we awoke and went out on the terrace to have coffee while enjoying the extraordinary view of the Indian Ocean.

We really enjoyed dining at the lodge’s restaurant, Roses Kitchen. The food was exquisite, and they took pride in providing us with the freshest in seafood right from the Indian ocean. Although we weren’t too thrilled with some of the Zanzibar cuisine, they had a wide variety of choices. A few nights, we enjoyed our dinner by candlelight right on the beach – it was very romantic.

Their Beach n Drums event is a must see, featuring a bonfire on the beach, the sound of African Drums, and delicious barbecue in the night sky. And the spa – this may have been one of my personal favorite highlights of our trip while at the Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge. I received the Aroma Therapy massage at their Chuini Spa, and felt so refreshed afterwards, almost like a new person. The staff was very helpful and professional, and made our stay as comfortable as possible.

Our overall experience was fantastic, and we can’t wait to return. My husband and I are already planning another trip to East Africa, and guess where we’ll be staying again?

Room Tip: The luxury bungalows offer extraordinary terrace views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DestinyLee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bububu
Melia Zanzibar
Ras Nungwi Beach Hotel
Ras Nungwi Beach Hotel
#1 of 18 in Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar - Stone Town

Been to Chuini Zanzibar Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!