“Cool Experience”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bububu
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
“Cool Experience”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Every year my family and I pick a different and exotic place to go for a family vacation. Last year we went to Costa Rica, and this year we went to Zanzibar. The Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge and Spa was a very neat place to stay. The beach directly in front of the hotel is ok, but being from Florida beaches are a common thing, so it didn't exactly catch my attention... However, there was a gorgeous beach about five minutes away, in front of the hotel's beach house. We had a good amount of fun there, and my little cousins especially enjoyed building their sand castles and playing in the water. The little bungalows we stayed in were cute, my grandparents stayed in the one called Kilimanjaro, and it was very comfortable. They were nicer than the ones we stayed in when we went to Costa Rica by far. The customer service was top of the line, and even with a family as annoying and large as ours, none of the employees ever seemed to get irritated, they just smiled and helped us in any way they could. Overall the experience was one to cherish, and I'd recommend this for anyone seeking adventure, cultural differences, and a comfortable getaway.

Room Tip: The Kilimanjaro is the best bungalow that I saw...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dix Hills, New York
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I am a third grade teacher, and have done my fair share of traveling during my summers off. I enjoy visiting new places that are not the advertised cliche destinations. When searching for a destination my husband and I usually search for a more secluded destination and that is exactly what the Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge & Spa offered us. Our bungalow was private and intimate, with a vast view of the Indian Ocean. The amenities were all top notch, and enabled us the ability to enjoy the comforts of normal living like AC, Hot & Cold Water, room service etc. All while providing us with the most breathtaking views and an intimacy that we otherwise have a hard time finding. If I had to pick one thing that I would have improved on this trip is the availability of shopping. Although intimacy and seclusion is something we searched for I do like to shop as well, and there weren't many shops nearby. The prices were fair and we did not run over budget. Overall our experience is great and I would suggest friends and family to visit this destination for their couples getaway.

Room Tip: We stayed in the honeymoon suite bungalow, and the intimacy was just breathtaking. You could take a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Austria
Reviewed March 4, 2013

A great place to stay for people who love peace and quiet and excellent food! Swimming is also fine, both in the pool and the sea, which comes in reliably every afternoon. The staff is exceptionally friendly and obliging, and they take great pains to entertain the guests by beach dinners, special dinners in the ruins, etc. Rose, the owner, and Conny, the German manager, see to it that everything runs smoothly. We feel we have found a home in Zanzibar, and whenever we travel to Africa, we will definitely end our stay at Hamuna Matata again.
Susanne and Josef (Austria)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanneAustria
Billings, Montana, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Off a friends recommendation, my wife and I decided to travel this little quiet and relaxing lodge in Bububu, Zanzani. At first, I was edgy but I soon relaxed at the friendliest of greetings from their staff. I then learned some of the history around the hotel and couldn't believe it was actually situated on the ruins of a palace built by an actual Sultan. Come to understand this lodge was just the tip of the iceberg in my history lesson to this country. Turns out that Freddie Mercury from the band "Queen" was born nearby in "Stone Town". Well enough with the history, but the food was to die for. I travelled alot and everytime I go somewhere new, it never ceases to amaze me what delicious avenues a certain culture could dream up. My wife, however, is a stickler and she wouldn't try the food. Sad to say, we only got to try the meals at the lodge the first day, and the rest we ate out in town. Other than that, the service was extremely important in helping us with anything we needed. Our friends were right and this was an excellent recommendation, and I would recommend this place to my friends as well.

Room Tip: Off a friends recommendation, my wife and I decided to travel this little quiet and relaxing lodge i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I recently got back from our East African honeymoon adventure, and the Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge was one of the best things about our excursion. We stayed at this lodge for 7 days and 6 nights and enjoyed every moment.

Our luxury bungalow was spacious and featured a huge king bed, beautiful décor including breathtaking artwork and artifacts, a spacious modern bathroom, and breathtaking views from our terrace. We were at peace each morning when we awoke and went out on the terrace to have coffee while enjoying the extraordinary view of the Indian Ocean.

We really enjoyed dining at the lodge’s restaurant, Roses Kitchen. The food was exquisite, and they took pride in providing us with the freshest in seafood right from the Indian ocean. Although we weren’t too thrilled with some of the Zanzibar cuisine, they had a wide variety of choices. A few nights, we enjoyed our dinner by candlelight right on the beach – it was very romantic.

Their Beach n Drums event is a must see, featuring a bonfire on the beach, the sound of African Drums, and delicious barbecue in the night sky. And the spa – this may have been one of my personal favorite highlights of our trip while at the Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge. I received the Aroma Therapy massage at their Chuini Spa, and felt so refreshed afterwards, almost like a new person. The staff was very helpful and professional, and made our stay as comfortable as possible.

Our overall experience was fantastic, and we can’t wait to return. My husband and I are already planning another trip to East Africa, and guess where we’ll be staying again?

Room Tip: The luxury bungalows offer extraordinary terrace views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DestinyLee
Jena, Thüringen, Germany
Reviewed February 6, 2013

So maybe the accomodation wasn't on par with something you'd find in Europe or North America, but it didn't take anything away from the trip. It was simple and comortable and more than served its purpose. It was a great place to relax and forget about the hassles of everyday life and how Western culture so fixated on appearances.The atmosphere more than made up for the rustic accomodation. I really felt as though I had stepped into a completely different world. I experienced some of the most breathtaking sunsets that I have ever seen. The staff were laid back and friendly. The food was also really amazing. I was aprehensive about some of the exotic food but the staff were reall patient and helped me to choose something that I was sure to like.The prices were more than fair. I really feel as though I got my money's worth. I would definately recommend this place to others. I hope to come back again myself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Byron, Georgia, United States
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The location is breath taking. The beauty of the beaches is unmatched and lodge easily becomes part of the local landscape. Relaxation began as soon as we arrived. The staff was wonderfully attentive and set a new standard for professional service. Our room was perfection and pristinely clean. We enjoyed the pool, spa, and our walks on the beach. We really were able to leave our everyday worries behind. I do think I may have enjoyed the food a little to much! Rose's kitchen treated us to irresistible treats so I gained 2 happy pounds. I am counting the days until we can return to this paradise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bububu
Zanzi Resort
#1 of 6 in Matemwe
Dream of Zanzibar
Dream of Zanzibar
#2 of 3 in Mahonda

Been to Chuini Zanzibar Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!