“Everything that glitters is not gold.....”

Grau Roig Andorra Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grau Roig
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Everything that glitters is not gold.....”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Originally this review was going to be verging on a 5 star review - but within a couple of days went to a 4 star and here we are finally at 2 stars, and to be frank I was on the verge of giving it 0 stars.

I always try and base the review on the hotel, the rooms, the service and the staff. So I exclude things that are not part of the stay or the fault of the hotel. For example:

The shuttle transfer via Novatel is long..... 3.5 hours on the way to the hotel - not including the 2 hour wait as it doesn't run every 5 minutes. A big minus is there are no pit stops - and no toilet on board - so don't drink anything for a few hours before the journey. For us this was a big piece of information missing.....

We dined at the hotel for 3 lunches. We were trying to order outside the 1st time, as were a Scottish couple. We were quite relaxed about our lunch and it's timing, but the Scottish couple obviously wanted to get back out onto the slopes. It seemed that only one person was empowered to take orders, and they were making sure that every order had been served and consumed before another order was taken,....So, despite several requests, and a few dummies towards the table by said order taker - 20 minutes passed before they finally gave up and just asked for their bill.

When we booked, the offer that we were supplied with stated that ski lessons and ski hire was included in the price. When we received the confirmations, neither of these were included. A few emails back and fro - and we were told that a) this was a typo b) we would only be in the Grau Roig for 5 nights (later changed to 7 nights in the hotel - but 2 in an ordinary room). We then tried to cancel the reservation - but were told we would lose all our money. PM me if you require more details - but don't fall for the same scam. I will be commencing small claims court action forthwith.

However, as mentioned, none of these events have a bearing on my score.

So back to our stay. It all started so well - a bit like a fairytale.

As I mentioned we had originally booked 7 nights at the Grau Roig, and after we had booked (and paid) were told that we could only possibly have the rooms we booked (Authentic) for 5 nights. On the day after we arrived the owner/manager(?) informed us that we had the room we paid for, for the whole 7 nights. Okay, we were happy/pleased (not sure why because we had paid for it....) and I wish the travel agency had told us, but the fact the hotel had supplied what we had paid for was positive.

We arrived very very late (see above) around 23.45 on the Monday evening, and really wasn't expecting anything to eat. But what was served to us was a feast - and way way to much for us - but it was greatly appreciated. A great touch (see photo).

The pillows that were supplied were very very hard. A quick word with the guy at reception and the soft pillows were supplied in an instant. Great!!!!

Now onto the negatives that turned the hotel into a 4 star, and to be frank they don't confess to be a 5 star so....

The radiator in the bathroom didn't work despite turning up the heating, turning the knob on the radiator, etc - which meant that towels were replaced twice daily.

The internet coverage/access is patchy - to be kind. I really don't think it's the coverage. Even the PC in the hotel that is for everyone's use has the same patchy access, so I think it's just the internet connection and not the wifi. Needs to be investigated. You either have internet access or not. If you do - it has to work.....

The rooms are not particularly well sound proofed. We heard somebody running a bath at midnight, the contents of normal conversations outside our door, etc, etc. Not sure if anything can be done about it - but we had a room that only had people above us, and on one side. Not sure what it would have been like to have a room above, below and both sides...

However, the best soundproofing in the world will not stop irresponsible parents letting their brood of kids running amok in the corridors at 8am, before dinner and after dinner, and basically using it as a playground. Screaming and shouting kids running like of herd of elephants is 'not cool'. If you don't have the space in your room, rent another room. If you can't control your children - don't have them. A 'shhhhh' after 15 minutes (after which they still continue as before) does not constitute control or being a good parent. All the ambient music in the world and a spa doesn't make up for the cacophony of screams that we endured. The hotel at least should have had a quiet word. A poster in the ski lift stipulating that no ski boots are allowed seemed to work - so how about a sign indicating that running up and down the corridors like a banshee is also not allowed. That would be an interesting sign ;-)

However, the icing on the cake was the Russian residents of the hotel who decided at midnight of the morning before we left, that they wanted to play at 'Dancing on Ice' with their cars whilst playing techno music. What did the hotel do? Nothing....

The food. For me the richness of the food is too much every night for 7 nights. Some dishes are very good one day - not so good the next. My partner had the suckling pig one night - and the crackling/skin was crisp and eatable. Another night it was limp and soggy and uneatable. If you order off menu, beware. My partner wanted the filet steak one night, but wanted something to break up the richness and ask for some chips (in addition to the vegetables that came with it). The waiting staff misunderstood and delivered the steak with a portion of fries, in a plate that looked like it had been created by an abstract artist. All week the food had been presented beautifully, however this 'masterpiece' was something that my school dinner lady would have found offensive. And worryingly after my extended encounter with the big white ceramic thing, a lot of dishes were served tepid or undercooked. The pumpkin soup one night was of an adequate temperature, the next time I had it - cold. The wild boar - and while I like my steak 'bleu', was so undercooked that for the first time I can ever remember in having paid for my food in over 20 years, I sent it back to be cooked more. The 'tarte tartin' was also tepid (I'm being kind, it was cold), and the pastry was dire. The last night, my partner again had the audacity to ask for fries to be supplied (this time we managed to communicate in addition to the dish). They were limp and not crispy...

So why the drop from 4 star to 2 (and if I was in the state of mind on the morning of the 2nd day, 0 stars). Food poisoning....

My partner and I, and another couple, all dined at the Teatre del Vi on the Tuesday night (so basically the evening of the day we arrived). We had a great meal, accompanied by a selection of chosen wines. This carried a 75 Euro per person supplement, however we thought it worth it for one night. Around 1am, I woke up and was feeling very well. I was violently sick all night/morning, getting up every hour on the hour. As I hadn't eaten outside the hotel for 48 hours then I was pretty sure it was the food I had eaten in the hotel. I didn't feel well enough to ski that day nor the next morning. I didn't eat all that day - so didn't have breakfast, lunch or dinner. All I 'ate' was Coke, Fanta, Red Bull and water. So not only had I 'wasted' those meals, but the paid for ski pass, ski hire and also my holiday also went to waste. In short, I lost 25% of my skiing. On the Wednesday I ventured down for dinner, and one of the other couple that also dined with us approached us, and asked us whether we had been ill. They had been very ill too...... That night my partner also was violently ill, and she lost a days worth of skiing.

The other couple mentioned that both they and I had been ill to the sommelier who had hosted the fateful evening, and he approached me and asked me how I was feeling. He apologised - but as I said to him, it wasn't his fault - and more importantly I felt it wasn't his place to apologise - surely it should be the chef or the owner/manager/director to do this? He did ask whether I could be possibly allergic to oysters which I found a bit patronising especially as the other couple had been ill. Surely the likelihood that 3 people out of 4 had never tasted oysters before and were all allergic is almost infinitely small.... I indicated that I had lived in France for many years and eaten oysters for nearly 20 years - uncooked - whereas the one we had eaten was cooked.

Despite all of this, nobody came to see us, ask us how we were, or even horror of all horrors, apologise. We waited and waited and waited. The penultimate night the owner/director/manager came to our table but didn't ask how we were or bring up the situation. In my view, you need to address these kinds of things before they get out of hand. Despite my partner replying to the question on how is your stay by indicating fine apart from being ill - this wasn't followed up or question or nothing. It just seemed like they wanted to sweep it under the carpet.

So we came to checkout. The hotel had not charged us for my 75 euro supplement, but had charged my partner. Bear in mind that the total trip cost was close to 3,000 euros, and we had both lost 1.5 days each of skiing, dinners, lunch, holidays, ski pass, ski hire, breakfast, our lives, etc. When I indicated that my partner had also been ill, the fact it could be the same meal was questioned. Even if it wasn't the same meal (and remember food poisoning takes up to 48 hours to manifest itself), it was something in the hotel, as we had eaten nowhere else up to that point. This questioning was unnecessary Would I really look for a 75 euro deduction on a 3,000+ euro cost for 'fun'. The owner/director/manager also stated she hadn't realised how ill we had been, at which point I stated that she really needs to talk and engage with people and face this issues head on and not wait for people to find her. She also stated the opinion after I had said that it was her hotel that he given us food poisoning, that it was the oysters. I replied that it was the oysters that the hotel had bought, selected, cooked and served. Where does the liability start and end? Does this mean unless a restaurant grows it own's food or rears it's own meat - because they only cook and serve the food, they are not liable? I think not. In the end - she deducted the 2nd 75 euro charge and the small supplements we had incurred on various meals. We shouldn't have had to discuss - it should have been done automatically. If we hadn't have been ill, remember we would have spent more money on drinks during the day and evening and lunch. It all just left a very bad taste in the mouth. I'm considering claiming compensation.

Room Tip: In terms of a room recommendation, we were in an Authentic room - very nice - 201. However I wouldn...
6 Thank leighv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Ski-in and ski-out so greatly located on the slope next to the lifts. Excellent service en stunning food! Half board means a choose from the card (with some extra charge for some dishes ranging 2-6 euro) so lots of choise for starter, main course and desert. The add. charge is minimal and fully compensated for by the reasonable prices on the extensive wine list. Nice bar for some "easy" apres-ski.
We booked a "authentic room" which was amazing beautiful and comfortable. Jacuzzi bath and separate douche.
Excellent service in the room and in the restaurant. Small but good spa/wellness. Huge free parking space in front of the hotel

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

We have returned from our annual skiing trip and stay at Grau Roig. As usual the hotel met all our expectations. The staff as always charming and go out of their way to may the stay an enjoyable one. The restaurant continues to impress and provides a fantastic range of delicious food. All in all another perfect holiday..... thank you Dunia and the team, see you next year!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed February 28, 2013

delicious food and restaurant , nice service , ski in ski out , the rooms are amazing , wine degustation understairs is unbeliveable , great decoration.prices OK.great wine list.great runs near.we will return !!!

Room Tip: designs suites are wonderful ,
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I are regular visitors to Andorra and have over the years stayed in many of the hotels in the Granvaliera ski area. We are both of the oppinion that the Grau Roig is easily the best we have stayed at.

The food - absolutely superb - i would say michelin star standard. We stayed half board and before traveling i read on here that some dishes were included in the half board package and others required a suppliment. I was a little nervous about this as i have been to other places where only a few items are included and everything else involved a large suppliment but this was not the case at Grau Roig. Most dishes on the extensive menu were included and those which did require a suppliment, it was typically only a small suppliment (most less than 5 euros). We really liked this system as compared to the buffet style dining that most other hotels in Andorra opt for. In addition the winelist kept by the hotel is one of the most extensive and well priced i have seen in Andorra. The breakfast was also excellent.

The rooms - we had a standard double room - very spacious, warm and clean with a comfy bed. Good bathroom with large bath and seperate shower. Room had plenty of wardrobe space which in my experience is unusual in many ski hotels.

The spa - quite small but perfectly clean and well kept. Has a steam room and sauna, jacuzzi and small indoor swimming pool. Most importantly there was no extra charge to go in to the spa. Many hotels in Andorra charge an additional fee to go in to the spa which i find quite dull when really all you want is to spend 20 minutes in a steam room after a hard days skiing. We didnt use the treatments but other guests we spoke to who had seemed to think they were good.

Location - great ski from the door location. Important for people to realise that Grau Roig is on its own and not in a resort. You cant walk to any apres ski bars from here so if you want a busy nightlife then this probably isnt for you. The ski bus finishes early in the evening and there are no taxis in either Pas de la casa or Soldeu so you are limited to the hotel bar and restaurant of an evening - fortunately both are excellent!

The only downside to our whole trip, which was absolutely nothing to do with the hotel as it is not their shop, is that the ski hire shop that is beneath the hotel seem to think they can make up the costs to hire ski equipment as they go along. Upon being told that the cost to hire 2 sets of intermediate skis for 5 days was going to be 250 euros, i declined their kind offer. A quick internet search (using the hotel's excellent free wifi) showed me that this was 100 euros more than the price even on the shops own website - perhaps the shop think they have a captive audience! We actually took a drive down to Soldeu (about 4km away) and rented some from a shop there but if you do want to get skis from the shop under the hotel (which is very conveniently located right next to the ski locker), i advise going on their website and pre-paying for the ski hire so they cant try an rip you off.

This aside, a great hotel, friendly helpful staff, superb location and outstanding food. would recommend to anyone and hope to return soon

Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a skiing holiday. The hotel is right on the slopes so brilliant for access in the mornings and for a little aperitif immediately post skiing. The hotel is stunning, and superior rooms definitely worth the extra cost. Spa is in the basement so is a little small and lacks natural light, but serves its purpose well especially after they've chucked all the kids out at 6pm (nb avoid the spa if you want relaxation before then!). Jacuzzi, steam room, and sauna were adequate for us (nb swimming pool is only 5m long). Bar is well stocked, and the Senegalese barman worked hard to provide any cocktail we wanted, even if not on the menu. Massive screen showing football most nights kept my husband happy. We were half board, so as per previous posts, this means you order from the a la carte each night. This was overwhelming to start with but a little dull by day 5. Many of the mains carry a surcharge and the menu didn't change at all during our stay. Food was good though, as was the wine (the wine list is approx 8 pages long!!)but don't expect the waitresses to make wine recommendations (their knowledge is really poor). All-in-all, we had a great time at the hotel, but struggled a bit with how remote it was (buses don't go there and taxis are 30euros) which limited our ability to explore other bars

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jgilro
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Grau Roig is a beautiful small hotel with a perfect location on the slopes.
I love the food.
Half board means ordering from the a la carte menu!
Great wine list.
Perfect location.
Nice spa.
I speak in the present because I still am going often to this hotel.
I would have given it a 5 star rating if it wasn't for 1 receptionist that has been very impolite and unfriendly. The owner of the hotel made it right.
The rooms are all gorgeous, most of them have a big shower and a jacuzzi!
It has become my favorite ski hotel.

Room Tip: If you do not go as a couple, take the standard room to have privacy in the bathroom. If you go as...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Spa Princesa Parc
Hesperia Andorra la Vella
Hesperia Andorra la Vella
#2 of 36 in Andorra la Vella

Been to Grau Roig Andorra Boutique Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!