Penha Longa Resort
Pestana Sintra Golf(Sintra)(Great Value!)
$111
$100
Pestana Hotel Group
Ibis Lisboa Sintra(Sintra)(Great Value!)
$90
$573
  • Pool
$103
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Nova Sintra(Sintra)(Great Value!)
$109
1,463 results
All reviewsritz carltonbeautiful resortkids clubstar resortgolf resortexecutive suiteindoor poolshort drivesushi restaurantgreat golf courselobby barlisbon airportlong weekendsix sensesmonasterysintraspa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Turning onto Penha Longa's Resort driveway is like turning onto a driveway of some one's very stately home. Except its not someone's very stately home, its my residence for 3 nights. With over 500 acres of park land to explore, indoor and outdoor pool at my disposal, 5 eateries to choose from and a myriad of staff at my beck and call.

The photos on Ritz Carlton Penha Longa's website does not quite capture the true elegance of the property. The property is a collection of buildings. The main hotel area which is an expansive building in itself, houses 3 of it s 5 eateries (the other 2 are dotted around the resort), the indoor and outdoor pool, fitness room, games room, kids club and 2 boutique shops. The spa is in a separate building 5 minutes walk away and the Arola restaurant is about 10 minutes walk from the main building. The hotel also provides a golf buggy transfer service.

Our room was on the 3rd floor with a balcony furnished with a table and 2 chairs looked out (from left to right) onto one of the golf courses, the monastery, the mountains and Il Mercato restaurant. The balcony is shaded in the morning and bathed in sunlight from mid afternoon. We had a twin room with 2 double beds. The bathroom is all marble and has separate shower and bath tub. There is a Nespresso machine best suited for the expresso drinkers among us.

You are spoilt for choice at breakfast: freshly made omelettes with ingredients of your choice, freshly made pancakes, freshly made milk shakes. The kids are also spoilt for choice - Its not worth skipping breakfast! Do catch the sunset at dinner in Il Mercato Restaurant. Do have the spicy chicken, nachos and cheese sauce from the room service menu the portions are big. Ensure when you order your cocktail at Aqua Restaurant (poolside) that the ratio of alcohol to chaser is to your satisfaction without additional charges.

The kids club was lightly in use during our visit. My 7 year old was very entertained (painting, walking, swimming, popcorn and movies, wii games, cooking, etc). She especially enjoyed a few sessions of horse riding at EquiKur (EK). This is a very professional equestrian centre based on the resort but is independent of the resort. The equestrian centre is 10 minutes drive away and the hotel staff will ferry you there in one of the gulf buggies.

The hotel is well staffed and staff are very courteous and engaging.

Would I go back? Definitely yes and so would my daughter

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank SunDancerIII
PenhaLonga, Public Relations Coordinator at Penha Longa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Travel-Holic007,

It was with great pleasure that we´ve received your fantastic feedback over your stay at our property. It is truly amazing to see that our work and pleasure on welcoming our guests is well reflected on their experiences over their stay.

On behalf of all the 180 Ladies & Gentlemen at Penha Longa we thank you and hope to see you again soon at our Resort!

Public Relations Coordinator

Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is great. Stuff is great. Food is great. Amazing nature. Everyone are so friendly and helpfull. Rooms are so comfortable and clean. So peacefull and calm place. For golf lovers is haven and for those who want to walk there is a planety of posibilitys.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Gabica1975
PenhaLonga, Public Relations Manager at Penha Longa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for your comments on our property!

Vanessa Tomé
Public Relations Manager

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I hadn't realized ahead of time that this was a Ritz Carlton property, but the plaque beside the door is difficult to miss. The lobby, bar, restaurants, and shops were all that I would expect from a Ritz property. So was the service -- everyone at the front desk and concierge desk were extremely helpful during the week of my visit.

When I arrived, everything was ready for a smooth and easy check-in, and the check-out process several days later was similarly pain free. Housekeeping brought us extra towels immediately when we asked, as well as extra toiletries. The room and bathroom were thoroughly and efficiently cleaned each day, with extreme attention paid to detail. The patio outside our room was a perfect place to spend a quiet half-hour, and the bathroom was perfectly appointed. The one negative thing I would say about the room is the layout; the design is quite odd, with a lot of wasted space and yet no dresser or shelving to store clothes. This didn't turn out to be a big problem, but it was perplexing.

The grounds are gorgeous, and include a couple of beautiful old buildings in addition to the golf course. I went for a walk one morning and got cheerfully lost, finally making my way back to the hotel about two hours later.

I have only two major criticisms: the pricing for food/beverages and the equipment in the fitness center. I found it a bit ridiculous that the bar charged 5 euro for a cup of coffee, and that the buffet breakfast cost 26 euro per person. I understand that this type of pricing is standard for a hotel like this, but I find it a bit scandalous. I was thankful to have had a car, so that I could leave the grounds whenever I wanted refreshment. Also, the fitness center was stocked with only one elliptical machine and three treadmills. This might be enough for a European clientele, but when you put 300 Americans in a hotel at once, it's not nearly enough cardio equipment to keep everyone happy.

If you do eat breakfast in the dining room, try the yogurt. It's the best I've ever had.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank truemind

We are glad you´ve enjoyed your stay with us!

Vanessa Tomé
Public Relations Manager

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Penha Longa. The property is well maintained and the staff and service is excellent. The spa is very nice and we truly enjoyed our experience there. The breakfast is very good. We ate in the dining room for breakfast one day and the next we had room service which was also quite good. We dined at both Midori and Arola which were also top notch (reviewed separately). I used the hotel's concierge services to plan our stay and they were great at making suggestions and booking things for us. They arranged for hotel transfers, transportation to Lisbon, booked restaurants and a tour as well as arranging for a birthday cake sent to our room. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear flas_bella,

Thank you so much for your comments below. It is truly amazing to see that our work and pleasure on welcoming our guests is well reflected on their experiences over their stay.

Thank you once again for your kind notes and we can't wait to welcome you back!

Best regards,

Public Relations Coordinator

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel is high end, used to be A Leading Hotel of The World. I enjoyed the golf course, ranked in the top 30 Courses in Continental Europe. The Atlantic Course designed by the famed Robert Trent Jones jr, is escapist golf at its best. They have also an excellent spa. This hotel is more a real golfer's hotel or for couples that enjoy a relaxing and high quality service! Ideal location to visit Estoril, Sintra and all other nice places!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter B
PenhaLonga, Public Relations Coordinator at Penha Longa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Peter B,

It was with great pleasure that we´ve received your review!
On behalf of all the Ladies & Gentlemen at Penha Longa we thank you and hope to welcome you back in a near future!