The Priory
$67
$71
$49
Travelodge
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$55
$92
Travelodge Newcastle Airport(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$47
Travelodge
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed at The Priory, Horsley on 20th July. The building is really interesting and sits amidst gorgeous green gardens. The Priory is steeped in history and still quietly stately. The interior is full of interesting antiques and talking pieces. Matthew and his wife are amazing and their level of care and concern for their guests is heart felt, even reaching far above any reasonable expectations of a 5 star concierge. I have never come across a more understanding and accommodating couple. We enjoyed their lavish breakfasts in the dining room and look forward to returning to The Priory, and this wonderful area so we can explore some more, very soon!

Room Tip: Any, all of them are interesting...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We regularly stay in the Cotswolds and this wasn't just disappointing but very worrying too.

The couple have clearly spent a LOT of time and money investing and revamping the building, I don't say this because it looks that way, but because they look so worn out by the project.

Bad points:
Difficult to find
Poorly maintained grounds
Landlady telling us that our booking agent were difficult and we needed to pay in cash, not credit card upon arrival.
The first room we were in was not clean so we were moved.
The description of the rooms on the website is completely far fetched an not at all realistic, no 'design or style ' at all.
Not letting us know it would be vegetarian!
Having cats within the house - not good for allergy sufferers.
No towels or loo roll in the bathroom
The landlady telling us how exhausted she was every 2 minutes, not quite the vibe I would expect from a 'boutique hotel'
The communal rooms were very tired and not comfortable to sit in.
Having no hot water in the morning.
Hearing the landlord swearing in the kitchen when we sat down to breakfast after an
other resident asked if they could get some hot water.
Breakfast being very delayed and making us late to church.
The landlord shouting at my husband when he requested if we could have a discount as there was no hot water which was refused and my husband was called a liar despite the landlady having just acknowledged all these points..

An awful, awful experience.
It could be super, as pointed out before with a result from an inspector, but I fear the owners are too stuck in their ways to understand the value of a positive customer experience and cant believe that they have ever stayed in a boutique hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank greenmaggie
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed there on 8th July for one night.
Very difficult to find no sign outside and at the end of a narrow lane. An AA sign was eventually found mostly hidden by overgrown trees.
There was no restaurantt described by previous review and I never saw a bar.
The nicest part of my stay was the couple whe run it lovely helpful could not fault them.
My room had a double bed and very nice bathroom no complaints there, I asked for a t.v. And one was installed immediately.
No shampoo or shower wash just a small bar of soap.
Tea and coffee facilities in room.
Breakfast finishes at 9.00on a Sunday am! I asked to have mine at 9.30 no problem. A bit daunting as just one long table for all. Continental type breakfast but cold toast! No rolls that I saw.
Most interesting place but outside very badly maintained. Uncut grass barns full of containers and junk.
Hotel inspector could turn this place into a diamond!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank BeaconsfieldMaura
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed at The Priory on 26th May this year, 2012, a friend had his 40th birthday near by and myself, my husband and my three young children spent the night, alongside a lot of other people from the party. The building is splendid and has been very well maintained for its period and style.

The couple who run the hotel are very unusual for this part of Gloucestershire, which is exciting, they are incredibly warm and inviting and worked extremely hard making sure we had everything we needed. They spoilt the children with their time, sweeties and even sitting on the biker of the owners motorbike, which the boys in our party adored!

Breakfast was held at a beautiful long feasting table and was filled with fresh juice, fresh coffee and plenty of toast and cereal. A hearty vegetarian breakfast was enjoyable and all of this for the most fantastic value of £90 for all five of us to sleep and eat well.

Thank you very much Jazz.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends