“Great Birding in Rio Lagartos”

Rio Lagartos Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience The Natural Beauty of Rio Lagartos Bio-reserve,Yucatan with"Rio Lagartos Adventures". We specialize in Birdwatching,Flyfishing,Flamingo Tours,Crocodile night trips. Located at the Restaurant RIA MAYA , certified nature guides specialize in low impact eco-tourism to provide access to this beautiful wilderness. Our experienced guides are skilled in identifying the wildlife here. Flamingos,crocodiles, All time of birds . English, spanish and Italian speaking guides are available " the best in Nature Tours & eco tourism "
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I found Diego by doing a search on google for Rio Lagartos birding. I wasn’t looking for a guide--I wanted to go photograph the Flamingos and that was really what I ended up contacting him for. It is well worth paying someone a few bucks extra that knows where certain birds are so you can get good looks--or in this case photos. However, you don’t need Diego if all you want is to see Flamingos--they are in the backwaters around town, and can be found with a little searching on your own, or for a bit cheaper hiring a fisherman to take you. But if you want to see more than flamingos, and ant a REAL guide that knows the area--HIRE Diego for a morning or the day--it will be worth it.

Diego was busy guiding other folks on the 5th--the day I had open to go birding, but I told him I really just needed someone that knew the local roads and where some of the endemic and local specialities were. I didn't need someone to point out birds or ID them for me. His solution was ½ off the guiding price for his two sons who are apprentices in the business. They could drive me around and take me to the places to look for birds--and knew where a few nests and other things that would be helpful were. I thought this was an excellent plan.

I would lie if I didn’t say the birding was fantastic and that I was very pleased with the outcome. However, I would also be lying if I didn’t say that what I paid for was not what I had expected. I actually would have preferred spending more time looking for and photographing flamingos, so I could get some real stunning shots. The lighting was perfect the morning I visited, and the photos could have been truly amazing. This is probably my fault for not pressing the issue--as I believe Diego was interested in helping me get more of my target birds which were mostly land based.

In the end I got most of my targets, as well as pretty good shots of flamingos, so I have no complaints--the plus is that now I know how incredible Rio Lagartos is for birding and want to go back. If you want to go here, I highly recommend hiring Diego--he is the perfect guide for people who want to see the local specialties.

Just make sure to work out the specifics ahead of time so you don’t have any surprises. And make sure to bring CASH--there isn't a bank, ATM, or Credit Card Machine in the town so if you don't have cash you might have issues.

1  Thank Utah_Birdtographer
in 2 reviews
"unforgettable experience"

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

READ ME PEASE!
We were stopped by a small guy on a motorbike on the way into town with several dozen hand written reviews, and we almost let go of the trip of yucutan. This trip with Adrian was the single best trip of several we had in the yucutan peninsula.
There are very competent guides to be had from the restaurant at the top of the town by Diego. But they are a handful of young guys with binoculars that may look the part but may not deliver what you could be a unforgettable experience.
Adrian is a one man band, and if you find him its by chance, but it turns out he is the guy who let Diego (from Merida) into one of the first co-op of Rio Lagartos.
His eyes are so well trained that he can see and show wildlife a few hundred metres away. He netted several fish on the way that allowed us to feed several birds including a falcon, a crocodile, and a pelican that was in the boat with us (as Diego's tours passed us by).
Don't pass him by (if you can find him).

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I had the opportunity to go fly fishing in Mexico for the first time the week of January the 13th. We flew in to Cancun, rented a car and drove to Rio Lagartos Monday night. We had two days of great fishing Tuesday and Thursday.
Diego is a great fishing guide who also took the time to show us some of the 388 species of birds that live in and around Rio Lagartos while fishing.
I caught my first tarpon on Tuesday and caught many more the remainder of the time fishing.

I would highly recommend Diego and his staff as they were professional, fun and great to be around.

Thanks Diego!!!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We booked a 4 hour photography birding tour by boat with Diego online for $120 USD. He required a $60 deposit which we paid via Paypal. The morning of our tour we drove 1.5 hours from Valladolid to Rio Lagartos where we found Diego easily. I was disappointed that Diego himself wasn't our guide but his brother-in-law was great. We had a small boat to ourselves so we could stop whenever we liked for as long as we liked. We enjoyed the vast & beautiful mangroves where we saw many different bird species such as parrots, pelicans, egrets, & birds of prey. We then docked at a pink salt quarry where we spent some time watching the beautiful flamingos. Much less impressive in number compared to Celestun but a quieter & more enjoyable experience.

Not much else to do in this small fishing town but we enjoyed our visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Used Diego and his son Diego Jr for three days of fishing. While the fishing wasn't the greatest it was a good time. And the guides I felt really did try hard to find fish and put you in the best position to catch them. Also they appeared very knowledgeable and lastly they used good equipment and had a nice selection of lures no live baits were used. Understand they cater to a pretty fair amount of fly fisherman too.
One thing they did which impressed me was after going out in the morning with little success they offered to let us go out in the evening when the tide was different to try again which we did and nothing was mention about additional cost.
But on the other side of the coin one day when we should have left at 6:30am we had breakfast at Diego's Posada with him then waited there for over an hour. We finally got in the car and went looking and found his son down by the docks waiting for us. Would have been nice if someone had let us know that was their plan. Not a big deal just saying...Also ate at his waterfront restaurant which was good and stayed in his posada which was basic and comfortable although if I did it again I think I would look for one of the places along the waterfront to stay.