“Diego lived up to his reputation”

Rio Lagartos Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience The Natural Beauty of Rio Lagartos Bio-reserve,Yucatan with"Rio Lagartos Adventures". We specialize in Birdwatching,Flyfishing,Flamingo Tours,Crocodile night trips. Located at the Restaurant RIA MAYA , certified nature guides specialize in low impact eco-tourism to provide access to this beautiful wilderness. Our experienced guides are skilled in identifying the wildlife here. Flamingos,crocodiles, All time of birds . English, spanish and Italian speaking guides are available " the best in Nature Tours & eco tourism "
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Diego lived up to his reputation”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We went to Rio Lagartos to do a wildlife trip rather than the Flamingos as we had seen plenty at Celestun. Diego is not only a blinkin' top birder but a pleasent, easy going sort of a chap too! We took a 6.30am 3 hour boat trip with him which was wonderful. I'm sure he pays the croc, the boat billed heron, the tiger heron etc. just to sit where only he can find them!
His only achilles heel is that he is human and forgot our Monday morning trip..so maybe that's a sneaky Mexican way of getting us back there. Clever hombre that Diego.

Visited January 2012

Malaysia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Flamingoes and mud bath”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We'd read that there were not many flamingoes in Celestun so we decided to head to Rio Lagartos. It was a very long drive from Merida (3 hours) but it was very worth it. The road signs were easy to follow but the moment we got into the Rio Lagartos town, the "harrassment" started. We were tailed by tour touts on motorbikes and even in a Land Rover. Since we have already booked and received directions from RLA we proceeded to the La Torreja restaurant for lunch, followed by a boat tour. Lunch was decent but the boat tour was fabulous! Diego (owner/ guide) brought us to see crocodiles and though there were not many flamingoes we still saw a few. The highlight of the trip was the mud bath where my kids and I had a splashing time. Diego then brought us to a natural spring to rinse off. I'd go there again, but this time, I plan to stay longer for the mud bath!

Visited December 2011
1 Thank CynTeow
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome bird and crocodile wildlife adventure”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I lined up this trip as a relaxing finish to a two-day adventure of hiking around Mayan pyramids and cenotes with my sons, 4 and 6. Diego Nunez, the proprietor, speaks good English and setting the trip up in advance by e-mail was a breeze. We stayed at Hotel Villa de Pescadores, a basic little hotel on the water, and got up at sunrise for the 7 a.m. departure. Rio Lagartos nature preserve is home to tens of thousands of flamingos this time of year, as well as frigate birds, snowy egrets, white and gray pelicans, many types of hawks and more varieties of heron than I knew existed (we saw tiger, little and great blues, and some others). Our guide knew where to find the birds, their names in English and Spanish and to drift slowly and circle around while I tried to get a good photo. We also saw crocodiles, which are food for birds as babies and then eat birds when they get bigger. This was perfect for little boys who are interested in nature. At about three hours they started getting antsy, since we left without breakfast, but we filled up at a great little restaurant across the street from where the boats tie up.

This was $75 well spent, and definitely worth the side trip. Thank you Diego, I'd recommend this trip for anyone.

Visited December 2011
Cancun
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Great Tour of the Lagoon and more.”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I went with Rio Lagartos Adventures for a tour of the lagoon. The main attraction here is the flock of flamingos which I enjoyed very much. Most people go just for the nice boat ride and to see the flamingos. There are many tour operators here and most are ok for the average tourist but if you are a birder and want to see lots of species of birds, this is the tour for you. Our guide Diego knows the names of all the birds and where to find them. We saw Bare-throated Tiger Herons, Laughing Falcon, Ferruginous Pygmy Owl, Roseate Spoonbill, Common Black Hawk, Crested Cara Cara, Peregrin Flacon, Snowy Plover and many more. I highly recommend this tour. To add to your trip, I recommend staying at least one night or more in the quaint little fishing village of Rio Lagartos. I saw Wood Storks close up along the shore and was able to see flamingos and other birds right from my balcony of my hotel room. Lots of birds in the surrounding area as well.

Visited November 2011
S. P. Cholula Pue Mx
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Flamingos and salinas”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Its really so lovely to see the flamingos of Rio Lagartos. its a long tour, kind of expensive but its so nice to see those hundreds of animals stepping in the water and flying over the laguna. Make sure that your guide takes you further to the salina where they make salt. Did you know, that they put chemicals in the water so that the salt is not disapearing with rain? This water looks red! They told us its not harming anything, well I don't know, but the contrast of water coulorsand beaches is very intering to see. Don't miss it!

Visited January 2012