“Luxury in "Jurassic Park".”

Lakaz Chamarel Exclusive Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chamarel
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Breathtaking vieuws over mauritius most beautifull hills and beaches, and this from your luxury suite's private pool... The suites are all finished with the very finest materials and all have a different style... Add to this a superb and friendly service.... you feel closer to god ;-)
This hotel-lodge located in the mountains exceeded all of my expectations.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Peggy P, Manager at Lakaz Chamarel Exclusive Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Thank you for this nice review!
We’re happy that you had a great stay at Lakaz Chamarel Exclusive Lodge and we hope to have the pleasure to host you next time.
Kind Regards,
Peggy

Reviewed January 16, 2012

Fantastic athmosphere and great escape from the beaches for a few days (15 mins by car to Southern beaches and 10 mins to South Western if you do want to go anyway). Would suggest you combine this boutique hotel with another luxury beach resort in order to get the best out of Mauritius. No need to leave the hotel area though if you are in need of total relaxation, good food and friendly staff. There is however the possibility to hike the nearby peaks or bike around the mountains (you can borrow mountain bikes from the hotel) if you are the more restless type. If you want to go diving over the day the staff can help you with bookings through the Paradise Hotel & Hotel Les Pavillons. We found Lakaz by recommendation of the Paradise Cove Mgr (also a great hotel which we can recommend); "Thats where I go if I go on island holiday myself") and other local business people who showed up to get a few days off. This place is very peaceful and the staff provides you with everything you need (can also recommend the spa). Houses are nicely decorated with taste and great regard to detail, very clean with close access / or your own swimmingpool. Will definately come back!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We spend wonderful relaxing time in december. Chamarel is a lovely little village, in a peaceful décor.
The hotel grounds are very beautiful, comfortable and well kept. It was a pleasure to spend time in the suite, on the suites porch or at the pool. Total relax.
Service was also very good and the owners and staff were really pleasant. Thanks to all of you. We will come back for sure.

Sophie Van Biervliet

Reviewed December 18, 2011

What a rare and wonderful pleasure it is to visit a hotel that exceeds all expectations, particularly when those expectations are already high. Hands down one of my favorite places i've ever stayed, such a beautiful property, the food & staff are amazing, There is so much attention to detail and a heightened consciousness about beauty and the spirit of Mauritius at Lakaz Chamarel. What a find. Tell no one!

Reviewed December 17, 2011

Perfect place to escape, think, relax and breathe in the true atmosphere of the Island of Mauritius. It is a natural environment so prepare for the odd bug in the bushes, but that's life amongst nature and the attraction of an unspoilt location.

This was a life changing experience for us - we have travelled the world for many years on the Professional golf circuit. We stay in guest houses and hotels and this one compared, was perfection itself.

The rooms are all individual, privacy is paramount. Our bed was huge and very comfortable.. Birds were our only disturbance. This is a quiet but heavenly place, lovingly built with care. The attention to detail is brilliant. Yoga areas and massage are available for the ultimate chill out just to add to the pleasure of nature.

The Staff are attentative but discreet. The Chef prepared delicious food. We could have stayed for many days away from the crowd. The lounge area is designed to make you feel so at home.

We stayed in the honeymoon suite on the lake surrounded by flowers and butterflies......and felt thoroughly induldged swimming in our private pool and using an outdoor shower underneath the stars.

....it is the perfect place to completely wiind down and compared to some of the big hotels, the prices are very reasonable.

Transport was on hand to take us to the beach or visit nearby places if we wanted something to do.....but we didn't. Swimming in our own beautiful secluded pool and reading in the shade on comfortable sofas was enough.

The walks are lovely and there are several interesting ones, both short or challenging and the views are breath taking.

We could not fault the place! We are blessed to have found Lakaz Chameral and we would recommend it to anyone. But don't expect perfection......nature is as it is.

Room Tip: All the individual rooms are wonderful. We recommend the room on the lake for Honeymooners!
1  Thank cathayc
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I visited with my husband for four nights as part of our honeymoon. Having spent ten nights at 20 Degrees South on the North coast we were already relaxed and happy when we arrived.

Arrival:

Our first impressions were good, there were lots of birds that we hadn't seen elsewhere and the lodge was pretty.

Room:

It looked nice, but there were mysterious stains on the coverlet and there was no book in the room to tell you the number for reception, list the price of the mini bar drinks (V. Expensive compared to 20 Degrees South, even an in-room coffee is charged) or give a map of the hotel or explain what the free gift of soap and sticky sugary stuff was for so it was hard to acclimatise and get your bearings.

I asked in reception what the sticky stuff was for as it had attracted a cockroach and they said it was face products, which should have been wrapped, but they would replace them. They never did, so our sticky stuff went untouched.

The shower was good though, and watching the bats from our terrace was special.

Grounds:

Supposedly the highlight of a visit to Lakaz Chamarel. While we were there they were in the process of building many more rooms. To accommodate them the view of the sea from the top of the hill that we had read about had been replaced by a building site. The peace was therefore somewhat shattered by the the sound of diggers.

I have no idea why but they had also started the process of gravelling the grounds. It is therefore unadvisable to wear sandals there as it is easy to fall over on the sloped paths, particularly where it has been laid over concrete. I fell over and it was the perfect end to the perfect morning, a week after getting back from Mauritius I was still pulling bits of gravel out my feet.

They also kept forgetting to turn the lights on in the grounds, which meant that it was difficult to get to dinner in the pitch black of the mountains. I am not normally a princess about such things, but I have stayed in £2 a night bandas in Uganda where they took more trouble over their guests safety.

The pools were nice though, and it was lovely to see geese wandering around.

Food:

OK. Evening entertainment very variable. It was good on a couple of nights, and I guess I should be grateful to them for giving me the experience of attempting a romantic candlelit dinner while a man plays the kazoo, badly. One to tell the grandkids.

Having not been provided with an explanatory book in our room I was unaware of the extra charge for helping yourself to the biscuits left out. I was therefore confused by the filthy looks I got for eating a biscuit.

Service:

As Dirk_MUC44, said, the atmosphere is depressing. The service is disorganised, and you get the feeling that you are a inconvenience to them for staying there. The manager seems more concerned with his own position as big boss than welcoming guests. It seemed one of those places that is run for the convenience of the staff, not the customers.

Extras:

Never identified cockroach attracting sticky stuff, a feeling that you can't wait to get home.

I did actually complain while I was there, my first time ever doing so in a hotel, and my complaints were dismissed. The owner did speak to me much later, but by then the atmosphere had got to me and the fight had left me. When we left the receptionist said "I am sorry for the small, small inconveniences that you experienced".

It has taken me two months to be able to write this review without going too overboard as I was so angry that the second part of our honeymoon was pretty much ruined by a bad hotel. It cost them, too, though, as our extras bill at the place before was around £350 (10 nights), but was £40 for 4 nights at Lakaz Chamarel because we did not want to spend money in a place where we did not feel welcome.

I hope they will do something about fixing the problems as Chamarel itself is a lovely village and the mountains are gorgeous.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank AOxborough
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights in november 2011. We were upgraded to the Paul & Virginie Suite with private pool!! Just amazing. You definitely need a car for trips in this part of Mauritius. Rooms: luxerious, but one point of comment: there was no toilet paper holder in our bath room. Food: most of the times very good. Cocktails: overpriced. The location in the valley is quite impressive. After a renovation of a few months there are now extra sea facing and garden lodges available. High service. We were lucky to be invited on the opening party for the new built eco-lodges during our stay. Even the prime minister was present for this openig.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sebregts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chamarel
LUX Le Morne
Constance Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel
Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Lakaz Chamarel Exclusive Lodge? Share your experiences!