“If you like church bells”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Schwanen

Hotel Schwanen
Hotel Schwanen
Ranked #1 of 7 Wil B&B and Inns
Fribourg, Switzerland
“If you like church bells”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

The room 34 was very noisy. Although the traffic quietens at night, the church bells keep striking every 15 min. I had asked for a quiet room !
The room on the top floor was pleasant and a good size single bed.

Room Tip: Ask a room on top floor facing the pedestrian area
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Gen1700

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We obviously were lucky as we had one of the large, newer rooms. The hotels is quite expensive but that's Switzerland. I shall never complain about Paris prices again! The hotel was charming and the breakfast was good - lovely quality hams and cheeses and the multi-grain croissant was delish. We did not dine in the hotel in the evening which is a shame as it is Michelin rated and I would have loved to have tried it. We were guests of business colleagues and dined in a little Italian restaurant in the old town which was very good (sorry - did not write down the name). I doubt we will visit Wil again, however would certainly revisit this hotel if we did.

Room Tip: Obviously request a 'new' room - top floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank UndaraUAE
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Pricy, but nice. Room for two with breakfast was $180.00 USD. We stayed in room #210 which was quite nice. The door was very thick keeping out sound, but watch the bump on the threshold. I tripped over it more than once. The wireless internet worked well. Check in was easy and the on duty manager Nils Heeb was friendly and very helpful. He spoke perfect English and went out of his way to make our stay in the city enjoyable. Breakfast, which did open a little late, (it was Sunday) had a good variety and was plentiful. The elevator has no internal door, so be careful with that. Parking right next to the front door was available.

Room Tip: Room #210 was one of the rooms that has been recently remodeled.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill T
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I obviously did not get a refurbished room. My room reminded me of a 1970's era Holiday Inn without the amenities. There was a small T.V. on which the only English programing was MTV. I knew I was desperate when I actually watched "16 and Pregnant" and "Jersey Shore". The key (yes, I mean real key) to the room was huge with a big key chain, sort of like the ones that used to used for a gas station restroom. The door only bolts from the indoor with the key. So I guess it is good to have the big key chain to find the key in case of fire. I just left my key in the door. OSHA would not approve.

The twin size bed was adequate. The room was clean. They seem to covet towels however, I had received a couple of extra towels one day and they were gone the next. I requested a room with a tub at check-in and was told there would be none available until 3 days later. So if you want a tub be sure to ask for one in advance.

Personnel were nice but this is a small hotel so don't expect someone to be at the front desk when you actually need help. You have to kind of hunt them down.

The restaurant was very modern and comfortable. The hotel actually has a split personality. The outside looks like a charming Swiss Hotel, The interior of my floor/room was 1970's holidome, and the restaurant was very modern.

However, having said all this if am in Wil again I would probably stay here because I didn't see any better options in town. The hotel is also conveniently located to shopping and the train station. There was free internet.

Next time I will be sure to ask for a refurbished room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Noodlechecker
birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

I stayed here twice in November on business and we soon realised there are big differences in the standard of the room depending on which one you get.

We established that the best rooms are on the top floor - here you get a large double bed, very modern and newly renovated, lovely bathroom, flat screen TV.

On the lower floors there are single beds with a badly placed shelf which you will hit your head on very small and old fashioned.

To the right of reception there is a small staircase with a few rooms, these are somewhere in between the 'good' and the 'bad'.

The food however, if very good at the hotel (although perhaps a little pricey). If I were to stay in Wil again I'd choose this hotel but make sure I get a good room. Staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Request your room in advance
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank sj272
Zurich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

Hotel Schwanen is probably the best you can get in WIl, because there is hardly any choice, but still I found it very dissapointing. The rooms feel like a time travel to the 70s: brownish carpet, brown furnitures, brown tiling with flowers in the bath room. Obviously no renovation has taken place then. I had booked a single room and also got a smallish single bed. The breakfast and restaurant area has been renovated and is actually quite nice. However the breakfast itself was again dissapointing. Tiny portions of cheese and sausage laying there, no fried eggs, or anything interesting. It felt as if you ended up in a small pension in East Germany where they count every roll you eat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

I spent a night at the Hotel Schwanen in Wil in lieu of a business meeting nearby. The hotel is in the center of Wil, less than 10 minutes walk from the train station and on a pedestrian street. The hotel is typically Swiss and I mean this in the best way. Rooms are not large and not elaborate but that did nothing to lessen the charm of the hotel. The on-site restaurant was excellent and I enjoyed my late meal as well as breakfast. It is true that due to many churches nearby I enjoyed a symphony of bells from early morning but once again - not really a problem. If anyone happens upon Wil, I truly recommend the Schwanen.

Room Tip: Top floor (just watch your head)
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank PharmaTraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wil
Hotel-Restaurant Freihof
#5 of 7 in Wil
Hotel Schaefli Uzwil
Hotel Schaefli Uzwil
#1 of 3 in Uzwil

Been to Hotel Schwanen? Share your experiences!