“Pretty boiserie with medium comfort”
Review of Marta Guest House

Marta Guest House
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Pretty boiserie with medium comfort”
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

The landlady is very helpful to provide excellent advice to visit the area. The old house is pretty and well decorated and the garden is pleasant. Pitty that it was so cold in the room and no heating available, only a hot water bottle. No reserve toilet paper in the tiny bathroom. Finally, voices reflect their way up from the hall, so when someone starts a discussion downstairs at 6.30 am, you hear it.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lechatdeliege
martaguesthouse, Proprietario at Marta Guest House, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Unfortunately, not everyone understands ....

I was very disappointed and surprised by the criticism of this client who I considered a friend.
This lady and her husband stayed at my Guest House from 18 to 20 May when the local daytime temperature was 72-75 degrees F (23/25 C). Of course the evenings were cooler; however the indoor temperature was never lower than 68 F. (20C). By Italian law for this area central heating cannot be on in May, and for security/safety reasons, individual space heaters are not provided. No other guest complained.
I noticed that she was cold, and in an effort to make her more comfortable, I did provide a hot water bottle and she seemed satisfied.
As for the size of the bathrooms, since her reservations were made utilizing my web site it should have been clear that the Guest House is a 1932 “Villa Liberty” style. In order to maintain the original aspect and structure of the villa, the bathrooms could not be more large. However, they have shower, sink, wc and bide. If the availability of toilet paper was insufficient, a simple request would have taken care of that problem. I’m always in the house.
As for the noise, unfortunately that very morning a client that had to go out early, caused loud noises in the entrance and in spite of my efforts I was unable to avoid inconvenience to the clients who were still asleep.
I apologized to the lady and her husband and the other guests, explaining what had happened was exceptional incident and regretful occurrence.
I’m sincerely like my work and I spend a lot of time for my guests and I’m very happy that the most of them appreciate and recognize my dedication.
However, I recognize that there are exceptions and situations that I cannot always control but I do my very best.

Marta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed with Marta and her son Giorgio over Easter weekend 2014. From the minute Giorgio picked us up, we were made to feel welcome. The glass of Chianti, a slice of home made Easter cake and bruschetta certainly made us feel welcome. Our room was beautiful, the house, gardens and guest facilities were truly delightful and the breakfast was the best I have had with a selection of delicious treats and delicacies - lucky guests! The hospitality offered was exceptional. Marta and Giorgio treated us like old friends and gave great advice for walks, activities and restaurants. Nothing was too much trouble, a reservation made by Marta at a local restaurant, being invited to join the "girls" for a pizza or trying one of Giorgio's hand picked wines, really fabulous! Thank you both so much for having us!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank smithpease
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Marta the owner is very friendly and could not help us more. She has great tips on where to park at Lucca, restaurants and routes around the local area. The rooms are high, big and airy the property quite eccentric in a lovely way. Ristorante Al Quercia over the other main road was not great but it was a quiet lunch service. The pasticceria on the main road looked good but it was closed when we passed it. Lucca is well worth a visit and do hire bicycles, Marta has all the details. The village was a little too quiet for me but the guest house fantastic.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Glen M
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Marta offers you warmth along with very nice accommodations. Her beautiful residence is situated between Pisa and Lucca. It's the perfect spot for day trips. You will not be disappointed when staying here. Her rates are very reasonable.

Room Tip: All her rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jerkyking
Co Tipperary
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Marta Guest House well deserves the top ratings that it gets on TripAdvisor! We stayed there in June and enjoyed every minute of our time there. It is located close to Pisa and Lucca, and we recommend it highly as one of the highlights of our visit to Tuscany.
Marta and Giorgio were very welcoming and friendly, and gave us very good advice regarding local attractions. Following Giorgio's suggestions we spent a half day in Pisa, which was sufficient for us. We were delighted that we followed his advice by spending a full day in Lucca, which included a lovely cycle on the the city's ramparts.
The food was delicious, the accommodation very comfortable and restful, and our hosts most charming. We would definitely return to Marta Guest House if the opportunity presented itself.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SeanCoTipperary
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was our first trip to Italy and the first place we stayed during our vacation. What an excellent choice it was! Marta and her son Giorgio welcomed us warmly and made us feel very comfortable right away. The house is gorgeous and our room on the second floor was really lovely with a fine terrace on which to enjoy the view of the surrounding countryside. Everything was sparkling clean and the bed was very comfortable.

Breakfast was amazing, with some items present each morning like delicious cheeses and meats, yogurt and fruit juices. However, we looked forward to discovering new treats each day like Marta’s chocolate torte, scrambled eggs with prosciutto, little finger sandwiches and other sumptuous foods. Every day had a different surprise. Oh, but the coffee! We went on from here to other B&B’s but nowhere else had coffee like Marta’s. The atmosphere in the breakfast room was so nice it made us want to linger and we developed a great friendship with another couple from South Carolina. It was so much fun exchanging stories during breakfast about our adventures each day.

In addition to providing a wonderful base for which to explore the area, Marta and Giorgio helped us with tips and advice about what to see, where to park our rental car and where to have dinner. The surrounding countryside looked amazing and though we didn’t take advantage of the opportunity, Marta would have provided us with information on hikes to enjoy the natural beauty.

We decided to return and spend our last night in Italy with Marta. Arriving there the second time, we no longer felt at all like guests but like family. Marta is a very warm, caring person and we are so happy to have found Marta Guest House.

Room Tip: Our room on the second floor had a beautiful terrace. If people have difficulty with stairs, there i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was our first trip to Italy and my wife and I had a terrific time. One of the highlights was our stay at Marta's Guest House. Very clean, comfortable and beautiful place. The coffee and homemade breakfast spreads were a wonderful way to start each morning! Marta and Georgio were a terrific asset for helping us figure out the best place to go, what to see, where to park, and how to get around.
Marta was very interested in making sure our stay in Italy was a great experience. She even spent considerable time and effort in helping us straighten out some trouble with our reservations in Florence.
We not only had a great time in Italy, but we made some great friends with other guests and Marta as well. We look forward to our next trip to Italy and Marta's will definitely be part of it!

Room Tip: Pick one of the rooms with the terrace for an especially nice experience.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
#13 of 172 in Lucca
Villa Alexandra
Villa Alexandra
#3 of 172 in Lucca

Been to Marta Guest House? Share your experiences!