“I stayed in better places...”

and 1 more site!
Playa Roca Beach Hotel
“I stayed in better places...”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with a group of 20 people, the woman was very accomdating for us and offerd us deals for breakfast and lunch and even gave us a packed lunch one day! I am very impressed with the price of some things however other things such as soft drinks were way over priced!! The rooms were, to be honest pretty grim and the toilets were way beyond the imagination!! The owner was very... eccentric... I felt like she was constantly judging and hiding behond a very fake smile, but she was nice to me and my friends even if she was faking it. But safe to say I enjoyed my stay, but probably wouldn't return!! Oh and the false advertisement on the website didn't help either. For example the pool was empty and seemed like it had been for a while!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank HotelContemplater

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stumbled across this hotel by chance as choices in this town are minimal. The hotel is pretty old but the room was fine for the price. Beach is not swimable because of steep strong surf. We loved the restaurant, food was really good, enjoyed whiling away the day drinking rum in the sun.....but, my big complaint was in the morning and the supposed breakfast included. I had my two cups of coffee and when i ordered breakfast was told i was to late even though the staff had just sat down with theirs. Perhaps someone could have told us there was a cut off time???

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank sarah w

Travelers are raving about these Las Penitas hotels

Esteli, Nicaragua
Reviewed June 13, 2013

When I made the reservation the woman I spoke to was nice and offered me a deal for two nights.
Bit when we arrived they gave us a room and later said I had to pay 5 dollars per night more because it had ocean view. Apparently that room was more expensive. I would have understood if they told me up front and could have made a choice, but they gave me that particular room themselves!
The room was dirty, shabby, the bed awfull ( we put the mattress on the floor)! The sheets we stitched together were there were tears. Shower and toilet dirty and we had no water in the shower and could not bathe. Fair is fair when I told them the next day we had no water they fixed it stright away but no sorry or nothing. Just a why didn't you tell us last night! Which was impossible because there was no one to tell at that time!! Anyway things can happen but at least say your sorry! Prices at their restaurant are very high and we paid 25 cordobas!!!!! for a half litre bottle of water! Never paid that much in Nicaragua before:(. I would not stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

wow i'm seeing all these negetive room reviews! Me and my girl stayed here last week for almost a week and loved it. in fact we left another higher voted hotel on tripadvisor (it was terrible) to come here and once we met the owners we knew we weren't leaving anytime soon. great food. great staff. amazing sunsets from the bar every night, surf, sand. I couldn't recommend this spot anymore!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
United States
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This property has an audience, for sure, and I would stay again if I were on a beach vacation and wanted to stay sweaty, sandy and salty for a week, bouncing between the surf, sand, and bar, no shower required. I'm over the age of 40 and have become accustomed to certain luxuries while on business travel so this property wasn't a good match for our trip.

If you would like air conditioning and your own bathroom make sure to specify upon reservation, as there are only a few rooms that have both. If you would like towels you must request them. There are sheets on the beds. Be advised there is no maid service unless you specifically request it. The method of obtaining such would be to leave your key with the manager or assistant manager and specify what you would like done - the norm is to sweep out the sand and make the bed. I don't think the sheets or towels get changed unless you ask. As this is not normal service a small tip would be in order ($1, or 24 cordobas, is appropriate).

I heard that you could sleep in a hammock for a few dollars a night, which is an amazing deal if you are a budget traveler.

One of the rooms that did have air conditioning was missing a toilet handle, so the "manual flush method" had to be used (stick your hand inside the tank and lift the flapper up until the bowl flushes, then drop it back down to refill the tank).

The shared toilets are shared with everyone who uses the beach or patronizes the bar, so they are generally sandy and salty.

The shared shower is turned off at night.

The wifi is generally reliable but is satellite and therefore is throttled. Be sure to tell everyone to not send you large attachments as this can bring it to a grinding halt. Even better, log on directly to your ISP and manage your emails from there, rather than to try downloading your mail to a mail client installed on your pc or mac.

When we were there the city was working on the water mains and the water had to be shut off. Be advised this can happen. If you're married to regular showers, this might not work well for you.

Bottom line: If you can live with these types of conditions, it's a great value property.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper don't take a room near the bar or any table/chair sets where people c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MsMMiler
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The beach in front of here is the best for swimming and surfing because the rocky peninsula blocks the strong current and creates an eddy that is free of rocks and user friendly. I found Playa Roca the place to mix with all the travelers and locals. The bar is a great place to mingle and meet everyone. There are lots of surfers and surf schools. Sitting in the big rancho, watching the action, eating and drinking cold beer is my kind of day. They have electric plugins at most tables so you can surf the net on Wi-Fi. The rooms are a little run down but cheap and because the bar stays open till midnight I usually don't spend any time in the room, Its just a laid back fun place to hang out. If you want to throw a beach party they will sell you a wheel barrow load of split and dried wood and your on! Clean up in the morning though. Oh! one last thing, almost no bugs! That is a big plus for me! Thanks Bart

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed two nights at this place and it was a mistake. The rooms are dirty and the mattresses were lousy. Actually, even booking the nights was rough because the guy who took the booking kept getting confused and booked us for the wrong nights. He did correct it but it was an unnecessary hassle. The bar and restaurant and both very good and the service was good but there are many other places to stay in that town that are better and evenly priced.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends