“Great Spot!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Las Penitas
Bigfoot Beach Hostel
Ranked #6 of 10 Las Penitas B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Great Spot!”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This place is great, right on the beach with a pool. I can't recommend even going to Las Penitas though. It's not very nice and the beach isn't exactly picturesque but if you do go stay here. You're better off just heading south to SJDS after the volcano boarding imo.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Riverside, California
Reviewed May 17, 2014

The Bigfoot Beach house was a fun time. A group fo 7 of us stayed for a few days in April.
We loved the volcano boarding, such an amazing experience. During the days, we partied, played beach volleyball, swam in the ocean, met other interesting people...got tattooed. Pretty fantastic.
Most of the staff are volunteers who are also travellers. This makes for a unique experience. They are typically friendly, intersting and are aware of the needs of fellow travellers. However it did get a bit unorganized at times. No one knew about our reservation, Our room never got cleaned and food orders were missed. However... as long as you are on Nica time and have patience, knowing that everyone has your best interest in mind and are trying to help, there is no problem. Some of the best people we met their were the ones volunteering. We always felt safe and welcome.
I would recommend this place to the solo traveller or group of friends who are up for an adventure and are looking for a fun, party hostel vibe.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
chitre
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Popped in and was considering the place but the girl was indifferent and not interested in servicing me. I think they were more into working on their tans. Great hostal nevertheless and the locale is second to none!
Give it a looks;,maybe they just didn't like my looksy-----

Room Tip: Go there When the staff might care
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
windham, me
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I stayed here for my last 2 nights in Nicaragua before heading back home to Managua to fly out and it was one of the best decisions I made during my entire month in Nicaragua. Not only was this hostel beachfront and have lots of amenities (volleyball, games, pool table, a pool!, and lots of funky sitting areas and hammocks but the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. For $20 I got a large private room (triple) with a shared bathroom (but only with one other couple so it was fine). During the day Bigfoot runs shuttles between here and their Leon hostel so people would come out for the day and head back around 6 or 7 and things quieted right down and I got a lot of time to mingle with staff and other guests which was nice. I love the way they laid out the sitting areas, it was funky, fun, and comfy.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I am a beginner in surfing, normally get smashed by every wave. Doing a surf lesson with the guys from the beachouse was definetly one of the best decisions during my travel! I stood on the board, got many advices an most important: it was great fun !!!
Okey but now about the beach house: hang out in hammocks, chill in the pool, play beach volleyball with amazing people or just pool billiard, there is something for everybody!
And the nights, make your own beach party or enjoy the bonfire and sleep with a tent in the sand, just awesome!

Loved this place, perfect balance between chilloutzone and beach party. A must-be for leonvisitors !:-)

Room Tip: Tents are definetly high quality, moskito safe and an amazing experience !
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Incredible vibe, great staff, awesome mojitos and lots of fun! the place is amazing for hanging out and drink a lil bit, you can also surf if you want and hang out by the pool! totally recomended, I will definitely come back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Matagalpa, Nicaragua
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Me and a few friends came here for a weekend break, and are so glad we did. The accommodation was really reasonable, and although we paid for a dorm room ($6 each) we ended up being given a private room. The place is absolutely beautiful, when you walk out to the terrace there is a lovely pool surrounded with hammocks and comfy seating, directly connected to a wonderful beach. It was the perfect spot to sup mojitos, swim under the sunset or play a few games of volleyball.

The food and drink were a little expensive, but the expected price for this kind of touristy spot. And everything we tried was delicious! (Smoothies, fish burger, pancakes with fruit salad, mojitos.....) Shout out to Nick Porter who entertained us all day Sunday with his jokes as we chilled out by the pool.

Volcano boarding Saturday morning was a highlight and Missy was a brilliant tour guide. It was a little scary for me, but the hike up there was short and sweet, and the experience of standing at the top of a volcano in the strong wind is exhilarating. Also we got groovy tops to show off that we did indeed do Volcano Boarding with Bigfoot! Best advertising idea...On the shuttle back to the hostel we enjoyed cold beers and cookies, and got another fab Mojito on arrival at Bigfoot.

The one aspect of the Beach House that was a little disappointing is how the shuttle that brings all the crowd from Bigfoot in Leon leaves at 7pm. So basically, come seven o clock the place empties out!! I don't know why people don't just stay at the beach house, because it really is paradise. I would far rather be swimming in the ocean or supping cocktails in the pool under the stars at 1am than in a dingy club in Leon! That's just me though.

All in all, great spot, cool staff, paradise, but don't stay there if you're looking for a party hostel. That said, we had loads of fun with our small group.

Thanks Bigfoot!

Room Tip: They don't have bunk beds, so even if you stay in the dorm you get a relatively comfy single bed...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
#3 of 10 in Las Penitas
Nayal Lodge
Nayal Lodge
#2 of 11 in Las Penitas

Been to Bigfoot Beach Hostel? Share your experiences!