“It's a hard place to leave”

The Lazy Turtle Restaurante & Hotelito
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Las Penitas
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's a hard place to leave”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I went to stay in Las Penitas for a few days and ended up staying for 2 weeks. Very lucky that Ryan and Val had room for the whole time. After traveling through Costa Rica and much of Nicaragua I fell in love with the vibe of the place. The food is great and never once was I disappointed. This place gets two thumbs up for me and the only bad thing about everyone knowing how great it is, is that there may not be room for me when I come back.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank NUGGZ

Sierra City, California
“You've got to stop here....”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We had a great time with Ryan and Val while staying in nearby Poneloya. We swung on over nearly every day for some fine food, drinks and conversation. I totally agree that the Canadian burger was one of the most welcome sights in our 18 day stay in Nicaragua. Real cheese, bacon, great beef....who does that in Nica? Delicious. Val was also very helpful in getting us hooked up with a great tour guide of the nearby estuary which was awesome! If you're in the Las Penitas area, or even Leon for that matter, do yourself a favor and swing by the Lazy turtle and meet some wonderful open hearted people. If you're lucky enough to be there at the right time, a sweet lady brings by homemade cookies and candies every so often for 10 cords a bag that are delicious. Oh and say hi to that sweet girl Lupe with the beautiful smile and buy a necklace or two from her! Fantastic.

• Visited May 2014
Victoria, Canada
“Amazing owners! ”
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Came here trying to nurse a hangover and the post-birthday/solo traveller/homesick blues...

Ended up spending the day eating a great burger (The Canadian-with real maple bacon and cheddar with a homemade BBQ sauce) and delicious potato salad and having a variety of mixed drinks.

Lazed around having nice conversations with the owners Val and Ryan all day in an absolutely beautiful atmosphere right on the water.

If you're in town, you must stop here-you know, if you like healthy/delicious food and having a good time with great people in a beautiful environment and stuff.

Granada, Nicaragua
“Canadian Burger is one of the best burgers we have had!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Everything we ordered here was delicious. It was great to meet canadian owners from the same area as us and they were very welcoming and accomodating. Mexican food was incredibly tasty, make sure to say how spicy you like it, they know how to make it hot! And the Canadian burger was perfect for my husband- served with potato salad which was a neat change from same old fries. We loved it

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Cheryl L
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“dinner”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

went here for dinner. for me it wasn't the best (probably my taste) but my friends liked it. Very very friendly owners!

Visited January 2014