Hostal Barca de Oro
$95
$92
$23
$19
All reviewspool tableeco bungalowtriple roomhigh tideshort walk from the beachamazing foodair conditioningceiling fanfood and drinkschicken bbqbamboobarracabinnetshutsdormitoryboats
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The reason why this might be one of the best places in Las Penitas is because there are only a handful of places in this small town. But like some of the previous comments, I am absolutely shocked that this is the best option in Las Penitas.

Where to start?

I stayed here during Semana Santa, which was a bad idea in the first place, and rates were nearly doubled in the 40-50$ range. I'm not sure if this place would be worth it for the normal rate of $24. The service was awful for the three days I stayed, the bathroom smelled HORRIBLE, there was hardly and water pressure in the shower, and the food was extremely expensive there as well. Furthermore, being a gringo, I would always get weird looks walking in and out of the place. LIke I'm not a paying guest?? And for having somewhere near 10 workers in the lobby, the service was slow and very disappointing. Also when I asked if I could pay in dollars and receive cordobas in change they gave me a horrible rate. And lastly there is a five percent charge on credit cards which they didnt' tell you about before hand. I highly DO NOT RECOMMEND staying here. Save your money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We only ate here, while searching for meals while staying at a hostel in the same town. The menu had many American dishes on it which, for me, was a bit of a disappointment, but I certainly understand the need to please different crowds. We had breakfast and, if you like pancakes - this is your place! And the prices here are really what will make us come back. Best bang for your buck.

The atmosphere is really the best part about the place. You can see right to the beach from the dining area, the whole thing is open air with a beautifully crafted thatch roof. The tables are all cut from giant trees, they are really unique! Our waiter was a young guy who tried his best to understand our horrible Spanish and was very patient and attentive, which we were very thankful for.

Also, they have a pool table, and we heard it's the only one in the area!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed here two nights in a private room.
The location is great, right on the estuary with a short walk to the sea.
The room was very comfortable and clean with nice fresh sheets.
There was no door on the bathroom, which might have felt a bit odd if travelling with someone else.
The staff were friendly and the food very good and reasonably priced.
I rented a kayak from the hotel and rowed into the nature reserve, highly recommended.
Only slight drawback was the large group of noisy German teenagers who were staying there, not really the hotel's fault though.
I still managed to get a couple of decent nights' sleeo.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2013

For a couple of days of taking it easy, kayaking, swimming and enjoying the relaxing nature of the place, this was the best sport we found in Nicaragua. Sunday was full of Nicaraguans enjoying the beach which was interesting to watch, birdlife is good and the setting is stimulating yet peaceful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Recommended! Sitting in the wind on the platform watching life in the bay and the waves further on. Earlier I used to stay at Hotel Suyapa, from now on I will stay here. Be careful crossing the river where most of the boats are anchored (to the right seen from Barca de Oro - I got nine major curs in my feet on the sharp rocks, straight to the hospital)

Room Tip: The cabanas in the backk are nice, but you will hear the noise ...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family