“Paradise with Bad Food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Muri
Christchurch
“Paradise with Bad Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2009

My wife and I just spent a 10 day honeymoon at the Muri Beach Club Hotel.
We arrived from New Zealand at approx 3am,upon being taken to our room having had a long day I wanted a drink,there was nothing in the mini bar not even water.
There was meant to be a bottle of bubbly in our room which we didnt recieve until asking 2 days later.
I agree that there should be no smoking in hotel rooms but there,you cannot even smoke on the balcony or verandah and yet you can smoke by the pool on the beach and at the out door dining area on the beach.
The swimmimg pool was dirty at one end and you could see the mould against the tiling on the walls.
We met a lovely couple from England who were well travelled and they also agreed with my comments above and what is to follow.
The evening meals at the point restaurant are probably the worst I have ever experienced,on our last evening the 4 of us tried the sunday Buffet,it doesnt take much effort to cook a pork chop but the two I ordered were quarter of an inch thick chared and dry we were beyond the point of complaining.
I always thought a Buffet was help yourself to all you want it was limited to the extent that one of our party couldnt even get a plate and by the time he did there was very little in the way of hot potatoes or even salads.
The staff are very good and friendly and I dont think you could put the blame on any of them .
There is definitley a problem with the management who are ment to control the running of the hotel and ensure standards are met and that quality is the number one priority.
Aside from a very sparse conternental Breakfast we ate at other restuarants on all but two nights.On one particular night the theme in the point restaurant was Mongolian,there were 4 people in the restuarant dining,surely the management must ask them selves why the takings are so low.
The location at this hotel is wonderful,the beach Idyllic and the hotel modern but I think all in all at the moment you could call it an upholstered sewer.
Stuart Bowie

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stub71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
NZ/UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2009

Location was faultless. The Muri Lagoon is beautiful and teeming with fantastic fish. The hotel offers free snorkel and kayak hire - this was great as it offered us so much freedom to go snorkelling whenever we wanted, rather than having to go with guided groups and excursions.

I loved that the hotel was over 18s only, which made the place really tranquil compared to the other resorts that we visited during our stay. Staff were also super-friendly. We didn't always get exactly what we'd ordered, but when service comes with such a big smile, its hard to mind too much.

However, we were a little disappointed by the quality of the food and cocktails compared to some of the neighboring resorts.

The room was comfortable, but even though we'd paid extra for a luxury sea-view room (the view was delightful), I think it was overpriced given the fairly small size and lack of character. There was also an incredibly bright light at night just outside the entrance to our room...and a deeply ineffective blind which did little to block it out. This seriously ruined our sleep for the whole stay.

There were other resorts on the lagoon which I think would have offered a better experience.

1 Thank Squeaker1
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights and wished we could have stayed 5(00) more. The lagoon and setting with the islands at the front door is so beautiful, but the hotel is very nice too. As noted, it's quite new and has a nice modern layout. We had a beachfront room which couldn't have been better and I would definitely recommend those beachfront rooms. I don't know if we just got lucky with a great deal, but the upgrade wasn't much.

The pool was excellent too, so were the cocktails. The staff were nice and the restaurant was pretty good. The only thing I'd have said about the restaurant if I left a feedback form was that they need to vary the menu a lot more and change it around. As I said, we were only there for 5 nights and we were there for one buffet which was nice, but the other nights offered the same ala carte menu, which was pretty small (about 5 mains), and quickly became a bit samey. The lunch menu was much bigger than the dinner menu and I prefered the lunch food too. :)

But not to worry, there was a great burger shop just up the road, an Italian place at the end of the driveway, sushi down the road, another restaurant at the top of the driveway. There was no issue (except for what days each place was open) obtaining a variety of food, so that worked out okay.

Another thing that was not an issue, but worth noting is that the hotel is a kid-free zone, which we love, but the hotel is alongside a public park where families bring their kids down to swim most afternoons. It didn't bother us at all, but just a note for those looking to totally avoid children. :)

Anyway, overall, loved the room and the hotel and would go back anytime with glee. When I started looking at staying in Rarotonga, Muri Beach was not high on my list of priorities and I only went there due to an excellent deal, but having been there and circled the whole island several times I would say it's arguably the most scenic part of Rarotonga and I was so happy we stayed there. And Muri Beach Club Hotel looked like the best place on the beach.

3 Thank ihaveteeth
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed at the Muri Beach Club Hotel for a 5 day beach break in a hectic round-the-world trip and it certainly delivered on all levels. The hotel has only been open 5 years and is family run. The location is stunning and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a lagoon view room on arrival, the view was spectacular, just like a picture postcard. The rooms are spacious and clean and the staff are friendly, smiley people for whom nothing is too much trouble. You are positively encouraged to go barefoot just about everyhwere. On the last day of our stay we realised that we hadn't heard a single mobile phone ring all the time we were there, utter bliss!! Liana Scott has worked hard to train her staff and provide a beautiful and calm oasis for the weary traveller or those seeking peace and quiet (this hotel does not accommodate persons under the age of 18). We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone

1 Thank ChrissieNottingham
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2009

Perfect for a relaxing beachside holiday! Muri Beach Club Hotel is right on beautiful Muri beach, and with free snorkelling and kayak hire you can make the most of what Muri has to offer. And if you do need a break from the beach for a while, there is a good and sizable swimming pool too.

Staff were friendly and helpful, in laid back Island style. Our room was of a reasonable size and overlooking the pool. There was daily room service, though the linen was not the cleanest I have ever seen (it did have some stains).

The Point restaurant is excellent - do try the parmesan crusted fish (to die for) or the bread pudding if it is on offer. And because there are theme nights several times a week you do get to try different menus.

We stayed for 6 nights and would definitely return. If relaxation and a quiet beach retreat is what you're after, this is the perfect place to stay.

1 Thank Kiwi-1976
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2009

The hotel is very well run, friendly staff and clean. We were given an upgrade to a beachfront room on arrival. We found the restaurant to be great quality, especially compared to the Sails restaurant along the beach which I found to be very overpriced for the quality of food delivered. The hotel restaurant offers different menus on different nights, a la carte, pub and seafood were offered.
The pool is not heated which made it great for cooling off, but at a maximum of 30 seconds haha.
The beach outside is very clean, the weather was windy while we were there so we used kayaks to get to the motu near by which was sheltered from the wind and so felt about 10 degrees C warmer.
We went off to Aititaki next at the pacific resort which is a totally different style of stay, however its a lot cheaper at the Muri beach so I would recommend it for sure.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DrewAndJenVancouver
Nelson, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

We stayed in Muri Beach club hotel twice for 5 nights and then 3 nights on our return from Aitutaki. The hotel was very clean and quiet with the exception of the noisy air conditioner on the roof of our room. It was so loud that we did not use it at night. Luckily it was not that hot so we could get away with the breeze coming thru the open louvre windows. At breakfast they had beautiful homemade bread which many people tried to toast and it would crumble, fall apart and set the toasters on fire. This happened multiple times a day. The toasters were domestic toasters and totally inadequate for the job, They would have been better off with a commercial toaster that runs on the conveyor belt type system. Given that we wanted to have a totally relaxing holiday it was great not to have screaming children around. We used the free kayaks a few times to paddle across to the island in the lagoon. The weather was not brilliant so did not get as much swimming or snorkeling in as we would have liked. One thing we didn't like was access to the beachfront was via the restaurant. While the staff didn't mind you can feel a little uncomfortable about traipsing the sand thru each time. The pool is a decent size but not heated. It was warmer in the lagon than the pool. Swam in the pool on the last day just so I could say I had lol.

We had cocktails most nights during cocktail happy hour…I enjoyed trying all the different cocktails 

There is wireless internet available for a fee so we decided not to use it and made use of the free PC in the lobby. It was slow but good enough to check the emails on.

There were lots of eating places in walking distance and general stores. You could also hire cars, scooters, motor bikes and push bikes just along the road. We used the local transport most of the time. Buy a 10 trip ticket on the bus which you can share with your partner to save money.

Our favourite dinner out was at Windjammer, while not cheap the food was superb. We also went to Tamarind House for lunch which we would recommend – amazing views which you don’t get to see after dark and the food was lovely. Viama is very reasonable in price and we enjoyed Sails. The Flame Tree was not as good as we had remembered, but then it is owned by different people to when we first went there. We chose to go to the Highland Paradise Island night over the hotel island nights. While it was a little more expensive, we had read about the Highland Paradise and we wanted to support this local project. It wasn’t the best island night I have been too but we still enjoyed it.

We did an island tour with Raro Safari Tours. This was an interesting tour and would recommend doing it at the beginning of your stay rather than at the end of your stay as we did. The owner of the company has made special 4-wheel drive tracks to allow you to see some amazing views that you would not otherwise get to see. The tracks are a little rough in places as you would expect and your back will be subjected to an island massage (as they call it) as you go over the large ruts on the road. Not recommended if you have a bad back! The lunch was very good. I am allergic to tomato so they made me a special salad without them which was brilliant. They were very helpful. I had left my mobile phone in Aitutaki and it was couriered to the airport in Rarotonga. They stopped at the airport for me on the way back to the hotel so I could collect it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kiwi-choc-a-holic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muri
Te Manava Luxury Villas & Spa
Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach
Palm Grove
Palm Grove
#1 of 1 in Vaimaanga
Pacific Resort Rarotonga
Rumours Luxury Villas and Spa
The Edgewater Resort & Spa

Been to Muri Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!