“The place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Muri
Napier
“The place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Me and my husband have been here 5 times in the last 5 years. We love Rarotonga, and the Pacific Resort. We choose this resort as firstly they have the best spot on the lagoon for sunbathing, swimming, snorkelling (esp. safe for kids) in the lagoon, access to water equipment, sand and beautiful views. Secondly, the Pacific Resort has an authentic touch to it where their thatched type hut rooms are amongst palm trees, and lots of beautiful gardens so you feel like you're on an island - even though you'll find all the mod cons needed to enjoy your holiday eg air con, tv, also clean and comfortable etc. Thirdly, the staff are friendly, helpful and experienced in their work areas. We have been here on our own twice, with our 3 kids twice, and with friends once, so have had different experiences each time. We have stayed in a beachfront suite (sand right outside the door, steps away from the water), beachfront villa (same as beach front suite but lots of room, lounge suite, big kitchen, laundry facilities, BBQ), lagoon villa (3 bedrooms, just behind beachfronts), garden room (same again but amongst gardens). All of the rooms we stayed in were similar standard. (We have not stayed in the very basic rooms). During our family holidays, our kids spent the days with the beach hut boys and absolutely loved them and the daily activities arranged. Coconut husking, prawn catching, lagoon trips etc. Continental breakfast is complimentary - fresh tropical fruit (outstanding in Nov when everything is ready and ripe: mango, pineapple, watermelon etc), ham, toast, tomatoes, cereal, muffins etc. We have also utilised the day spa services and again, outstanding. We will be back again.

Room Tip: I don't think any area is dead quiet. Wedding receptions can be held in the middle of the resort...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Kerikeri, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Pacific resort was really great. Large luxury room, fruit bowl on arrival with exotic delicacies and really friendly staff. Room was literally 10 steps to the tranquil lagoon and lovely beach. Accommodation and food well priced and the complimentary continental breakfast provided many options and was fresh and really good. Cooked breakfast was available and this too was well priced and well presented and tasty.
You have to take advantage of the Spa offer with the sister resort this was 1 hr of unadulterated bliss and I energed feeling like a new person.
Only downside was a bunch of very noisy neighbours but the hotel moved us when we complained about the partying until 3.30 am!
Would definately recommend the resort and the location and will visit again!

Room Tip: Get the luxury suite with ocean view or the smaller chalet on the beach both are wonderful. Garden u...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were attending a wedding that was being held at the Pacific Resort so when looking on where to stay in Rarotonga we decided because we have a young child it would be easier to stay where the wedding was.

We have been to Rarotonga before (staying at the Rarotongan) so we knew the island, the places, the beach etc so we were happy that the Pacific Resort is in a great location. When booking we read the reviews on trip advisor and decided to treat ourselves and upgrade to the beach front suite which all the reviews recommend doing for the best experience, so we spent the extra and upgraded.

Now for the reason why what should have been an excellent holiday to remember merely became just a average / very good holiday.

On arrival (2am) we were told we weren’t booked into the beach front suite by the night receptionist…??? I said I had actually had it confirmed by the resort who contacted me by phone and through a couple of emails on requirements for my room once I booked so there must be some mistake as we had booked and paid for through and agent and had it confirmed by the resort. Then the receptionist advised me she couldn’t put us in a beachfront suite as there were none available and that I would need to take the executive family room and come back in the morning to see the main booking staff.

In the morning (7am) I went for a walk along the beach and on my return I pasted the reception and asked if any booking staff were in yet which they were….
This is now where I got a little bit cheesed off and insulted….
I was asked to produce evidence of our booking and the confirmation I had received from the resort…"am I lying I said" I didn’t really book and pay for the top of the line room and I didn’t show all of the paperwork last night to the receptionist...??? I went and got the paper work and was then told we could move later that day when one of the rooms became available…around 2pm ish….(normal check in time)

I then asked what compensation I was getting for not being placed in our correct room for our 1st nights stay and having the issue of moving….I was promptly told the policy was only to give a credit to the room (the difference in $ between the room rates) and was told it was $100…I said I didn’t think that this was sufficient but if that’s all they do then that’s it…..so not a great start to our experience with the pacific resort..

Also when around the resort we had heard that the same thing had happened to 2 other couples, one of which never got into a beach front suiteat all from there stay… so our case wasn’t a one off and looks like they over book themselves on their top rated rooms knowing once people are there they will have to stay in the rooms they are given…NOT A GOOD LOOK.

We then had 5 days of amazing views from our room, the room was a little dated but the views made up for that, we had great service at the bar / restaurants, very friendly staff, great beach hut guys very helpful some fun activities so we had thought after what was a very bad start to our pacific resort experience everything else had been great all week…..then when it was time to leave………

Check out 10.30pm…..it was the same night receptionist I had dealt with when we checked in….She gave me the bill…..arrrrrrrr of course no credit had been issued….!!! ALSO there were charges on there which weren’t ours totalling $200...so we had to get these all sorted before we could check out again we were questioned over all of the charges we were saying werent ours....Staff made you fill like you were lying to them or trying to get stuff for free.....

Then along with 14 other guest waiting to be transferred back to the airport our pick up was 45mins late, some guests were getting very angry… when the ride arrived there were 2 people movers (holding 6 people each) but there were 14 of us (we don’t all fit)...they were also very run down and low budget…not what you would expect from a top rated resort transferring their guest’s to and from the airport.

Summary:
Price you are paying is for the view, not for the room (beach front suit)
Wait staff / food were great
Pool just ok (but you have the best beach on your doorstep)
Over all for the price you pay its ok…but we believe we got better value for money at our previous stay in Rarotonga staying at the Rarotongan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Mark L
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We went for our son's wedding last week. Beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful location. We had room 300, next to the beach, overloking the lagoon.
The wedding was on the island opposite the resort, well worth the extra cost. No photoshopping unwanted guests! The beautiful bride arived with a warrior and her father in a canoe to the sound of hypnotic conch shell and drrums, the warrior lifted her out and gently placed her on the beach, lots of tissues neededs, absoulutley amazing, champagne on the beach and the soft light at 4 pm made for fantastic photographs.

The service at the Pacific was excellent, all the staff were 1st class, trained by a loveley man from Well Tech based in Wellington. we could not fault anything.

We had a big room on the lagoon, a bit dated but very clean no problems at all. We received lots of daily news letters warning to lock up and use the safe, which we did as my husband is paranoid about security. On the days of the weddings we received extra warnings to lock up and use the safe be extra vigilant. All was well until our last afternoon late on Sunday, we packed early for an early departure on Monday, however while sat just metres away from our room on the beach, we had a breakin, we lost all our cash, the only hour my husbands wallet was not locked in the safe, we cancelled credit cards and spent our last night filling out a police report, (lovely police, they really were nice) not the first call to the resort,seems to be a problem there.

All we can say, we will go back, be extra carefull, the worst part is that our room was locked, someone had a key, I have written to the management, but as yet have had no apology or reply,obvioiusly not good PR, but as I say beautifull resort with excelent service, not much security. Sharon Gabriel Auckland

Room Tip: 500 or 103
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sharon g
New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We booked into the wedding package (7 nights for a wedding/honeymoon) but I wouldn't recommend it. For a honeymoon I think the place is great because it overlooks the lagoon and the wait staff were really enjoyable to chat to. For a wedding I wouldn't recommend it at all. The resort has a free kid's club so it attracts a lot of families with children. Its very crowded and there are screaming kids running everywhere! For a honeymoon this doesn't bother me, but for our wedding it truly was the worst thing imaginable (after rain) and wasn't romantic at all.

Raro is such a wonderful place to get married because of the temperature and the gentle sun makes the photos look good (no squinting). There are so many dozens of great choices for hotels to get married in, so I really wish we'd put in more research and chosen somewhere special to get married instead of a crowded tourist resort. Half our photos have strangers in the background. You only get one chance to have a special wedding, so its awful to feel regret and disappointment about picking the wrong place. At least we can go back to Raro in 10 years time and renew our vows at a different hotel to make up for it.

The hotel itself has a traditional thatched roof look which I really liked, but unfortunately bats would scratch around there at night. Also, we could hear every word the guests next door were saying. Fine for a honeymoon, but just not very romantic for a wedding night.

Would I recommend Pacific Resort? For a honeymoon - definitely. A wedding - definitely not.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kiwi_girl2118
Northern Virginia, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We've been travelling to the Cook Islands since 1999 and it is, without a doubt, our most favorite place on earth..... and I attribute 99.99% of that to the Pacific Resort and the folks at the Pacific Resort!

We just returned from our 5th visit to Rarotonga and the Pacific Resort and it feels like we've just been to our home away from home.

Why do we love the Cook Islands and the Pacific Resort so much? Because every time we go we are constantly blown away by how nice everyone is and how great it is to be in a place where you can: moped around an island and feel like you're riding a bike as if you were a kid again, drink awesome wines from New Zealand and Australia and pay less than you would in the US, enjoy the clearest water anywhere in the world and still be on the US side of the dateline so that you're not losing a day by travelling there (if only Air New Zeland would offer better flight options to the Cook Islands out of LAX than just a Sunday night departure with a Saturday night return...what happened to the Friday night departure???...come on Air New Zealand...are you doing this flight for the customer or only because you have to???).

We LOVE the Cook Islands, the Cook Islands people and our Pacific Resort! It's truly the best and our favorite place on earth!

Room Tip: Always go for the ocean front suite 2nd floor rooms!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank KCsDad
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Recently my wife and and I, our adult children and grandchildren - total of 9 spend a wonderful week at Pacific Resort/Te manava Villas in beautiful Rarotonga.
The weather was amazing and we were blown away with the beauty of this wonderful place.
This was a special holiday for us. My wife had recently turned 50 but was unable to celebrate as she was caring for her sick mum. So this was a well deserved break away.
Our daughter, partrner and 4 children had a lagoon villa which was great. Awesome location, spacious and had everything they needed.
My wife and I and adult son had a 2 bedroom standard room. It was adequate as we pretty much based ourselves at our daughters lagoon villa so only really showered and slept there.
The last two nights we were upgraded to Te Manava. This is possibly the nicest thing anyone has ever done for us! It was a place that dreams are made of . Own swimming pool and luxury plus plus! Elaine was at the front desk and took care of our every need!
The breakfast at Pacific Resort was great and also the dinner we had delivered!
Our grandchildren absolutely loved the kids club. The guys were amazing and made their holiday. Loved the kyaking, paddle boarding and the great location right on muri beach!
Thank you for spoiling us and helping us to create amazing memories for life.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muri
Te Manava Luxury Villas & Spa
Muri Beach Club Hotel
Palm Grove
Palm Grove
#1 of 1 in Vaimaanga
Rumours Luxury Villas and Spa
The Edgewater Resort & Spa
The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Pacific Resort Rarotonga? Share your experiences!