“We don't regret the cost for a minute!!”

Te Manava Luxury Villas & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Muri
Otago
“We don't regret the cost for a minute!!”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Our travel agent talked us into taking the 3 bedroom garden villa for 11 nights on a stay 5 pay for 3 night deal, so for our 11 nights we only paid for 6, making the cost of the georgeous private villa much more affordable. We were in Raro for a wedding and so got to check out heaps of other friends accommodation, and they checked out ours, and Te Manava was just so far ahead that everyone wanted to hang out at our place!! Having 8 and 11 year old children with us meant that the air con right through the villa was a fantastic bonus for getting them to sleep at night, and the private massive pool off the lounge was perfect for them to run around and play their own noisy games while we drank our nespresso in the beautiful garden!! This was one of the best accommodation experiences we have ever had and I know that we will come again, as will most of the wedding guests who all thought they would book it next time they were in Raro! The huge villa, fantastic amenities, private beach access and kayaks, lovely lovely helpful Elaine and Thomas, and the wonderful masseuse in the Spa has certainly left us looking forward to coming back. I cannot recommend this accommodation highly enough and can assure you it is worth every hard earned cent, as Rarotonga has some pretty average accommodation at similar and slightly cheaper prices!!

Room Tip: 3 bedroom garden villa is perfect for 3 couples, or a family of 4 - 6, and the swimming pool is much...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank SouthernScotty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Hainesport, New Jersey
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This review is long overdue, but I am finally getting around to writing it. Better late than never. Me and my wife stayed at Te Manava from December of 2010 until January of 2011 for 12 nights. First of all, Rarotonga was AWESOME. We loved every minute of it. It is off the beaten path and not overbuilt, but still extremely safe and accomodating. We are not the type of travelers that like to be cooped up on resort grounds all of our trip. That being said, make sure you grab some transportation and tour around the BEAUTIFUL island. I still have many images of the landscape, water, towns, lush jungle, waterfalls, people, and our time there forever burned into my brain. I find myself thinking about Rarotonga at least a couple times a week, over 1 year later. It was that good.

Te Manava, from what I saw after cruising around the island for 2 weeks, was the nicest place to stay on the whole island. The prices, all things considered, weren't all that bad. When we booked our room, I believe we were given a percentage discount for booking longer than a week, and also received every 5th night free. We stayed in an oceanfront beach villa for 1 week, and a garden villa for the 2nd week. The views were SPECTACULAR. It really doesn't get any better. UNREAL location and views. The rooms were extremely nice. Marble tile floors, full kitchen with refrigerator, dishwasher, range cooktop, microwave, nice private patio/porch out front with a small dipping pool and BBQ grill. The bathroom was also very nice with a rain head shower. All of the furniture and finishings in the room fit in with the local style. Dark wood, thatch pattern on the bedroom roof/fan, all nice touches. The room also had a nice safe that I used, and the A/C unit performed without problem. I believe the only "negative" thing I can even list is that there were about 6 TV stations. Local news, ESPN Australia, Rugby, Rugby, Soccer, Cricket. But who cares, if you are inside watching TV in a place like this, you are wasting your time and money.

Elaine was our concierge and was extremely helpful. I asked her at least a few questions a day, and she was always available to help me out, or quickly direct me to someone who could. She set up a cross island trek for me and the wife, and let me know how/where to rent my scooter. Te Manava is managed/owned by the same people that own Pacific Resort a little bit up the road, so you can take advantage of a lot of things going on up there; all of the activities/equipment was for use by Pacific Resort and Te Manava guests. The guys up at the beach hut at Pacific Resort were fun to talk to. They taught me and my wife how to husk a coconut and also let me take out the stand up paddle boards into the lagoon. Definitely take the time to learn how to husk coconuts. You can feed some of the local doggies some coconut water and make some friends (we had a few we'd see every day and they'd walk with us). Also it's easy to find some coconuts for a great snack if you are out on the island. The staff were always quick to provide extra towels, goggles/flippers or anything else I asked for. Everyone was always smiling, happy, and pretty quick. The villas also provided complimentary kayaks/paddles to use, which we took advantage of to go explore the reef and small motus (islands) out in the lagoon. The rooms were cleaned daily, and in great shape whenever we came back from cruising around, being in town, or swimming/snorkeling. We had one guest in our bathroom, a small gecko for a few days. He was harmless and just hung out on the wall, for a little while. My only regret is that I couldn't book the beachfront villa for the entire 2 week span. I really did miss the view and looking out on the South Pacific every morning (my own fault because I waited just a tad too long to book).

Overall, I strongly recommend Te Manava as a place to stay. Great property, helpful staff, and amazing location. My wife and I will definitely be back in the future for one of our anniversaries. Can't wait!

Room Tip: Ocean front villa is amazing!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JCWeres
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed February 9, 2012

What can you say brilliant set up ,amazing staff.
This is the third time we have stayed at Te Manava,This holiday was 3 nights in the garden villa then we went to Aitutaki for 4 nights then returned to Te Manava for 14 nights in the Ultimate 3 Bedroom Beach Villa.The garden villas are great for a family as they have everything needed and a really good size pool.The Ultimate 3 Bedroom Beach Villa is brilliant with everything you could need, brand new, spacious, private due to being up from the beach below , the courtyard pool is a really good size.The location is great just a short walk and your at the lagoon to snorkel or kayak or if up early watch the sunrise.
The concierge Elaine as always was amazing, from the time she met us at the airport with a welcoming smile to when she dropped us at the airport on our departure she could not do enough for us ( even find a lost video camera ).Additionally all the villa staff are great Thomas, Ana & Tai nothing was ever a problem for them.We have stayed now in all Te Manavas family accommodation and they are all highly recommended.
Again we were all sad to leave but we will all be back.

Room Tip: There all good
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank gorf56
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I agree with Kirsty from Tas. Beautiful well appointed villas but can't be classed as 5 star when you don't even get a complimentary cup of tea,you pay for everything!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AandC C
Reviewed December 6, 2011

My now husband & I got married just out the front of the beachfront villas by a formation of huge black rock & it was just beautiful. Of course with the permision of te manava our wedding planner/photographer Melanie Cooper arranged the whole thing & the photos are stunning. Close enough to town yet far enough away to be very private. If luxury is what u want u will find it here!! Highly reccomend the beachfront villas as the veiw is picturesk:). We enjoyed the privacy quite & that we could come & go as we pleased & barely saw anyone else. Help was just a phone call away & the staff are very friendly & helpfull. Cant wait to return to beautiful Rarotonga & we will deffinatly stay with Te Manava again x

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank Haua2011
Brisbane, Queensland
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Just returned from a 2 week vacation at Te Manava, Muri Beach, Raratonga, Cook Islands. The Ultimate Beachfront Villa was really spectacular. Private access from the villa to the lagoon beach, with use of canoes waiting out the front. The villa was beautifully appointed, extremely clean, with a full kitchen - micro-wave, gas cooktop, oven and dish-drawer dishwashers. There was a private courtyard with a pool, laundry and BBQ area. A second bedroom with ensuite is a separate pavilion within the courtyard to give total privacy if needed. Plenty of outdoor furniture around the pool and on the front balcony. The view is magnificent and the lagoon really spectacular. Lots of areas to explore while snorkeling. Reef shoes are a must. At Te Manava you can select the services you require as an added extra. We pre-ordered a breakfast package and BBQ pack which was delivered prior to our arrival which was a great way to start. The staff at Te Manava were really wonderful - very helpful and so friendly. Elaine the concierge cannot do enough for you. They really want you to enjoy your time with them.
(Te Manava is affiliated with the Pacific Resort which is leisurely stroll along the beach. Meals activities, etc can be booked back to your room.)
If you are looking for an adrenalin filled holiday, this probably would not be the place to go. There are quad bike adventures, fishing and diving trips available as well as lagoon glass bottom boat trips, kite surfing, paddle boarding etc. Everything is done on "island time" which only adds to the calmness of the island. The Island bus service (one bus clockwise, one bus anti-clockwise) will pick you up on the roadside and drop you off anywhere along the route if you do not have a car/scooter hire. Vehicle hire is cheap but petrol is expensive. You will need to attain a Cook Island driver's license to drive here - cost is $20 and a great souvenir. The whole island is only 32k around. It is about a 20 min drive from Te Manava to Avarua, the capital of Raratonga. Here there are restaurants, shops, supermarkets etc. The local markets are on Saturday mornings and something not to be missed for a taste of the local foods and culture.
The Cook Islands are famous for Black pearls. Many shops sell them, but if you are purchasing, be sure to go to an accredited seller. Black Rock is a great spot to take a picnic to and watch the sun set. The sunrises and sunsets on the island are magnificent.
The local beer Mututu (lager and pale ale) is really enjoyable and the brewery is about a 5 min drive from Te Manava. They will package up a carton or two for you to bring back.
The only thing we were disappointed about was the lack of seafood. Fresh seafood is hard to get which is surprising for a south sea island. Most of the seafood is imported from New Zealand. We were told direct flights from Brisbane to Rarotonga will be starting soon, which will make it even easier to get there. At the moment it is a stop over in Auckland from Australia.
For a truly relaxing holiday this is the perfect place to stay. Cant wait to return

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 4bearsie
Launceston, Tasmania
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Let's start with the good here - the location is great, on Muri beach protected and great for swimming. There's restaurants within walking distance, but really - hire a car or scooter for your best bet on getting around. The staff here are very friendly and helpful. I also had a great massage.

Aside from the above, we felt a bit let down by our stay at Te Manava. We booked through a third party and weren't aware of the "concept". The concept being that you get your room and you pay for everything else. And by everything - I mean everything except kayak use. Don't go straight in and use the shower - the shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and even one type of soap are $15 each. Want new towels during your stay? $55. Want housekeeping to come in and clean - it costs extra. A cot? extra. 2 hours of internet - $30. Snorkels - extra.

We stayed for 8 nights at $850 per night in a 3 bedroom apartment - at this price, I expected more. In addition, the photos of the interiors on the website weren't matched with the standard of the place we stayed at - it was fine, neat and mostly clean, but wasn't 5 star. We had part of a dishwasher held on with velcro and queen sized beds instead of king size beds.

So in short, the staff were really helpful, the location is great, but the concept didn't suit us and wasn't apparent to us until we go there. I felt as though there were a lot better value for money options that we could have chosen.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
17 Thank Kirsty_TAS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muri
Muri Beach Club Hotel
Rumours Luxury Villas and Spa
Little Polynesian Resort
Little Polynesian Resort
#1 of 2 in Titikaveka

Been to Te Manava Luxury Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!