“Simple farmhouse BnB - people who stay must like animals”

Crockshard Farmhouse Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wingham
Crockshard Farmhouse Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 5 Wingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here before going over to France early the next day.
I hadn't checked out the previous reviews prior to staying as I didn't want to know! Mainly because it was cheap and we just needed a bed for the night - the bedroom was clean and tidy and we had a shared bathroom.

We left before breakfast (eurotunnel crossing was really early) so can't comment on that.
Make sure if you do stay though you like dogs & cats, we do so it was ok.

Would stay again in the same circumstances, but wouldn't use it for a special occasion etc.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Gemma H

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have just returned from staying at Crockshard Farmhouse in Wingham and must say it was a delight. We read the other reviews on this website and were a little concerned but as it was close to where we were heading for a wedding we decided to give it a try. We were welcomed by Nikki, the owner of the farmhouse who was very pleasant and showed us to our very spacious room. We got exactly what we expected, a traditional room in a traditional farmhouse. A lovely large window overlooking the fantastic country garden. No there weren't any flat screen tv's or any tv's in the room to be exact but what it lacked in modern technology it more than made up for in the little pots and trinkets in the rooms that kept you interested in the history of this place. We had the family room and there was a double and two singles in our room. I had a delightful nights sleep, my bed and pillows were very comfortable. We had to share a bathroom just down the corridor with another family and it still has its original old sink and bath in but this really just adds to the character of this charming house. Why does everyone have to have an en-suite now. There used to be a time when people shared bath water. If you are looking for a boutique B&B then this is not it. This is B&B the way B&B used to be and it is not being dressed up and thats what makes it so lovely. We woke refreshed and looking forward to breakfast. We were offered a hot pot of freshly made tea and a choice of two cereals. We were then offered a home cooked breakfast of a sausage, bacon, toast, beans, fried egg and a tomatoe. Superb. We enjoyed it all. We would most certainly visit again if we were in the area and would like to think that others enjoy this for what it is. Traditional and typically british.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank princesscaroline91
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Having had a hotel booking elsewhere cancelled at short notice, we were beginning to think our chances of finding accommodation in the area non-existent after ringing 10 hotels without luck, so when Corckshard Farmhouse was found to offer a double room for £50 we willingly accepted even though there was no en-suite. The location is remote and very rural. The very large gardens are an absolute delight with many hidden areas and places to relax. The farmhouse is very 'original'. You could say 'has not been modernised in the recent past!' If you are looking for power showers, italian polished tiles, fluffy towels, deep pile carpets and memory foam matresses....look elsewhere! This is a traditional old slightly musty farmhouse. Our room was large and airy...the sash window refused to stay ajar. It was either totally open or totally closed! The much mentioned dogs, Molly and Poppy, and Boris the cat showed us to the room... accompanied by the owner. We shared a bathroom with one other guest and an amazing array of pottery! Our jar of powdered milk for tea making was solidified with age. In the morning we had a reasonable English breakfast, surrounded by the dogs again. If you are looking for a peaceful retreat and don't mind stepping back in time, then you will enjoy this unique b&b.

Room Tip: We only saw the room we were offered, which was large and enjoyed a nice view of the garden which mo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brian R
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We arrived on Friday 7th June 2013. 2 adults & 2 kids for a 2 night stay. Exterior is very pleasant which makes the rest all the more disappointing. Front door locked - so access is via a side door and through the kitchen. A woman finally responded to our ringing the bell, she was accompanied by three barking dogs, one of whom humped my leg every time we stopped moving - sadly that was as welcoming as it got.

We were led up a flight of stairs, the landlady, our party of 4, the three barking dogs, and a cat which proceeded to park itself on the bed in the children's room - I pointed out that one of the kids was in fact allergic to cats, and reluctantly it was removed.

Once the landlady had departed we took stock of our surroundings. Rooms were small, there was a large coffee-stain (I hope) and the mains plug was hanging off the wall. Unlike the girls room, we had a wardrobe - they had 2 hooks on the door, the bottom drawer of the wardrobe was crammed with old hangers, glasses and THREE hairdryers. The newspaper lining the drawer was dated 1961. Every available space in the rooms was occupied by dust-encrusted ornaments. This theme continued into the poorly equipped bathroom which was how our rooms inter connected. Towels were threadbare, bath tiles cracked and filthy, and there was a container of washing up liquid and a filthy washing up sponge...I realised this was for cleaning our own cups.

Next to the coffee-based wall stain, there was a tray with a dirty kettle, 2 ancient cups, a jar of powdered milk which smelled bad, and a jar of coffee, the bottom 2 inches of which were fused to the inside of the jar. When I turned it over to see if it shook free, I was amazed to see a Best before date of 2010. The jar in the kids' room was better - but still over 9 months out of date.

The rest of the house is no better - a large communal bathroom with hundreds of ornaments, cracked tiles, poor water flow. A "communal" lounge inhabited by the man of the house watching TV and the three dogs which made it very unwelcoming.

We went out to dinner to escape and enjoyed a very nice meal at the Red Lion in the village of Wingham ...they have rooms available there. When we got back we went to bed - well, with no welcoming lounge, no TV in the rooms etc we didn't have much option. Our bed seemed to have a slope which meant that getting comfortable was difficult. Let me re-phrase that. It was impossible. The mattress was poor, springs poked into various parts of one's anatomy and I shudder to think how old the pillows were.

Unsurprisingly, we woke early. When we got downstairs it was time for their much mentioned "English breakfast with homemade bread and jams served in farmhouse kitchen"
There was no fruit juice of any description - the kids were offered and accepted "hot chocolate" This arrived in a jug from the microwave. Our tea was the most anaemic thing I have ever seen, and as for "homemade bread" - unless this farm produces bread for the Tesco / lidl own label range, this claim is a downright lie. The "Toast" that was delivered to the table was barely any different from bread straight out of a packet. As each "delight" arrived, they were accompanied by dogs under and around the table, watched over by a cat sitting on the work surface.

The final insult was yet to come...."English Breakfast" - If these words on their website are to have any semblance of accuracy, they need to be followed by more words, perhaps "Tenko Style" or prefaced by "appallingly bad".

One slimy slice of bacon. One egg - all yolks were burst - the landlady laughed that they always break when she cooks them. One defrosted and reheated sausage (I watched it being done) and beans from Lidl ....the tin was still visible on the counter. Why the dogs were milling around bagging for our food is still a mystery to me, perhaps they were suicidal.

We packed up and left. My wife dealt with the landlady as she knew I would've caused a major scene and she didn't want to upset things on what was meant to be a birthday trip for our daughter. I will be writing to the people at this establishment as I believe we deserve a refund for what was genuinely one of the most unpleasant nights I have spent in a very long time.

In case anyone thinks I am exaggerating, photos of most of what I describe are included. This really is a place to be avoided, and I am amazed that whoever looks after health and hygiene for this establishment hasn't done something to fix the appalling lack of basic hygiene.

The Canterbury region is well worth a visit - but do not include Crockshard Farm in your itinerary. Similar complaints seem to date back a few years, so it is obvious that these people have no intention of doing anything to fix the multiple and glaring wrongs.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank GerryMast
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My friends stayed at the Crockshard Farmhouse for 2 nights a few weeks back. Although the owners are really nice, my friends were welcomed and escorted to their room by 3 barking dogs. And that continued all the way through the weekend. They were so cold in their room that they hardly slept and so cold in the kitchen that they hardly ate. On top of that, when they came to pay, they were asked £40 more than the original price given to me.
I certainly won't recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank cendrine b
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Can't fail to agree with a lot of reviews (which I should have read before we went!!) So let's put this in context....we escaped home for a couple of days while our builders changed over electrics and boiler in a cold Feb. We have a dog. We don't know the Kent coast. Geographically perfectly sited for three coasts and Canterbury.
Fortunately we love dogs and the big plus was company from Lilly, Poppy and Mollie for our Weimy Julie. Friendly Boris the cat also put in an appearance but fortunately Julie didn't see him!! We wanted to take Poppy home.
But....I'll list it....unloaded car in muddy drive; parking at the back with a walk across wet grass covered in dog poo; scruffy interiors; tiny room for the two of us and Julie and only access to bed from one side. Least we had the en suite. Lack of warm water day two and there was only two of us; no heating in morning until after we got up; apparently heating is solid fuel and fire has to be stoked first! Mrs. FBD unusually cold in night -bed seemed to draw out any warmth but didn't feel damp; but host did give her extra duvet next night; remember we'd left home because the heating and hot water was going to be u/s for three days!! Full English breakfast and conversation was fine and I love kitchen dining shared with the dogs -and that's not meant to be sarcastic!!
On night two I persuaded our builder to make sure everything was ready so we could cut our stay short!!
However, found some good local pubs, particularly The Red Lion in Wingham, Canterbury cathedral and coastal and inland walks. So ticked some boxes...
Decor very tired English farmhouse and a bit dark and dreary. I guess that's a no then!!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank FLYINGBLUEDOG
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Well we arrived at 7pm and nobody was there It was cold and dark ! When someone finally arrived to let us in not an apology came form her mouth.She was rather rude!
Dogs jumped all over us as we went in the door ( I love dogs ) but feel for someone who does not or older fragile person.
Our room was awful as soon as I hung my coat the coat stand fell on me .The bed springs where sticking into me at night and there where no curtains in the windows .
Also the plumbing woke me up every time someone used the bathroom screeching!
The bathroom was shared no shower .The Breakfast was AWFUL Stale cornflakes and bread and not juice and butter tasted funny and jam was fermented. The Fry was small and the cheapest sausage and bacon and 1 egg on toast and half cooked tomato.The family where rude and made us feel unwelcome .Not recommended!

Room Tip: Dont choose here! ( away from bathroom if you must!)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cherrykent

Been to Crockshard Farmhouse Guesthouse? Share your experiences!