“Attractive environment, but overly sweet.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Salma

Salma
Ranked #6 of 9 Restaurants in Wingham
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Derry, United Kingdom
“Attractive environment, but overly sweet.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

Several friends and I had occasion to eat at Salma recently. Having read other (somewhat mixed) reviews I was unsure what to expect, anything from disgruntled Buddhas to very good/outstandingly inattentive service.
We arrived having booked earlier the same day to discover the restaurant nearly empty (possibly due to the heat of that day rather than any failing of the restaurant). First impressions were good; clean; attractively presented; smart waiters. We did wait a fair whole to be served but I believe this was due to the fact that we were doing a lot of catching up and had the menus open whilst we talked.
The food when it arrived was generally well cooked, although the chicken in one dish was a little tough. However, nearly every dish was overly sweet and very mild which might suit some palates but was a little disappointing to me and others of my party.
If you like mild fragrant and sweet curries then this is the place for you, however, if like me you like a little more heat (not excessively so!) and flavour then there are better restaurants not far away.

• Visited July 2014

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“A TASTE OF TRUE INDIA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Salma is an indo-Bangladeshi cuisine restaurant. The staff who I think are mostly family members are respectful of your privacy while being attentive but not intrusive. The choice of dishes are varied and if you require something that is not on the menu then just ask and if they can they will cook to order you favourite. As I live in the village we as a family have eaten there quite a few times. The last time in June 14 we also had our 3 1/2 year old granddaughter with us who was amazed at the fact that a papadom was bigger than her head. She tried a little of all the dishes but liked her granddads chicken pakora so much she ate most of them. Very clean and value for money. Well worth a visit.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank kentdancer
Kent, United Kingdom
“Fastest £75 ever spent! (should have had a take-away) Eat Faster Please”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

We have had a few good takeaways as this is our local indian, the portions have been good with ample meat and a varied choice - However…

It was my grown up daughters birthday so we decided to eat in….and what a mistake.
We booked a table for 3 for 9pm arrived on time and were promptly seated. The order was efficiently taken, the surroundings were very pleasant.

After the main was served I noticed the owner checking the time.. obviously checking the time, we wanted a desert (my daughter and guest) but sadly there were no homemade deserts, only a generic 'afters menu' which was ordered but brought straight from the deep freeze, almost inedible.
We then ordered another soft drink to allow the dessert to defrost a while, much to the distress of the staff, more watch checking and gestures to encourage staff to issue the bill - please note the time was only 10.10pm !

I felt so rushed I left the last part of my drink. I paid in cash £75.00 but we were brought no change - they just kept the change as their tip without even a thank you.
Will certainly NOT be eating in again (and I will be looking for a new place to order takeaways) - One hour 10 mins ! certainly not an evening out to remember in a good way.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Axmes s
Weybridge, United Kingdom
“curry evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

Friendly atmosphere with a wide-ranging menu and the food was all freshly cooked. Well above average.

Visited May 2014
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Some dishes very sweet”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

I used to get take aways from here and occasionally ate in but have stopped going here and started using the indian restaurant in Sandwich. Most of the curries on the specials menu seem to be the same sauce but with varying amounts of chilli, and for some reason very sweet. The chicken chilli fry tastes like a dessert with a few bits of dry chicken thrown in. I've tried quite a few dishes from the menu and the madras is the only one that tastes ok, even the jalfrezi has that odd sweet taste to it. The guy at the front is a bit off putting too, I never know if I'm supposed to be dealing with him or the waiters, he waves his hands wildly and deals with the money while barking orders at the waiters but never actually speaks to the customers. I'd say you're probably better off going into Sandwich or Canterbury.

• Visited April 2014