“Fabulous!!'”

Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Wingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Wingham Wildlife Park is set within 26 acres in which we display over 200 different species... That’s more than any other zoo in Kent! Additionally, we are the only park in Kent where you can visit moon bears, chimpanzees and penguins! As well as the all-important animal collection we have 2 large play areas, both indoors and outdoors plus a sheltered tropical house, reptile house, chimpanzee exhibit and museum which can all be enjoyed whatever the weather. Furthermore, there are 2 restaurants (although one may be shut in the winter season), several toilets including disabled toilets and baby changing facilities, plus discover a wide variety of animal talks, feeds, encounters and experiences for a roarsome day out in Kent!
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I arranged for my son to be a keeper for the day for his 10th birthday! He absolutely loved it, helping with the feeding and cleaning out not to mention learning a lot about all the different animals! We had to stay in the park for the duration which was lovely as we walked around looking at the animals had a picnic and occasionally bumping into our son working hard. At the end of the day he left with a certificate thanking him for all his hard work! Another surprise for him was that he saw his name outside the red panda enclosure saying he had adopted it a surprise arranged by his nana and grandad to say he was thrilled is an understatement!
Thank you to all the keepers for giving him the best birthday ever!

Wingham W, Public Relations Manager at Wingham Wildlife Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Bobbinbirdeus,

Thank you for chosing us as the location for your sons birthday treat and taking the time to share your experience. The keeper for the day experience is great fun and we have had people from the age of 8 through to 80 enjoy the whole day, and it is always lovely to hear from the people who took part. it gives a great insight in to what a zoo keeper does during the day!

It can be quite a busy day and we hope that we see you back soon, giving your son the chance to have a more relaxed look around the park and come back to see his name on Jaspers enclosure again... It'll be there all year!

Wingham Wildlife Park

Write a ReviewReviews (1,618)
All reviews
"annual pass"
in 51 reviews
"big cats"
in 79 reviews
"plenty of picnic tables"
in 16 reviews
in 24 reviews
"animals seem"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We took all our family age group from 2 yrs to60 yrs we had a party of 16 and each and every one of them enjoyed it from seeing the animals to playing on climbing frames we spent all day there so the entry fee was well worth it and the children got to see and learn about so many different animals .
We took a picnic with us but like most places like this the ice creams were very expensive .and the gift shop a bit limited for small gifts at reasonable prices.
But overal a really good day out

Well done wingham.

Dear Tylertoes,

It is always great to hear the perspective of larger groups coming to the park, and if you manage to make a whole day at the park we feel that the entry fee is well worth it, and am glad to hear that you agree!

There are a wide variety of species on display at the park, and we are always trying to improve, this so I hope that we see at least some of you back here in the future to see the changes!

The gift shop is stocked with a variety of items which range from tiny strechy animals and stationary through to teddy bears and play sets. We hope that we can provide a range of items at a range of prices to provide something for everyone, but are somewhat limited by space. Over the 2013 winter period we are re-building the gift shop and reception area (the park will remain open as usual)... After this is complete we will have a lot more room and hope to bring in even more gift lines, from toys for our younger visitors through to items which may apeal to our older visitors!

many thanks

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Being a wheelchair user I was disappointed no concession was offered, as I would have been unable to manage on my own. The Disabled toilets seem extremely hard to use (door width, hand rail and the distance of the toilet paper from the toilet). Although I have no children I think the price of £10.00 for a child ticket is excessive. I like the fact the park rescue animals and that has to be worthwhile. I have been to many other animal attractions but found the staff here not very friendly compared to anywhere else i have been to before. It was disappointing there was only one information sign on each enclosure making it extremely hard to read.

Wingham W, Public Relations Manager at Wingham Wildlife Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Mark K,

Thank you for taking the time to give your views on the park, and especially with issues surrounding areas such as the disabled toilets, we always appreciate feedback... Our disbaled toilets are built and furnished to council specifications and as such if something isn't quite right for our visitors it is these sorts of pointers which will allow us to review these designs.

Every aspect of the park is designed with familes and children in mind, whether it is from the way enclosures are designed (making them easy for children to view), through to making information signs which are interactive and appealing to children. We also have 2 large play areas (both indoor and outdoor) which are free to use for children. If families take full advantage of all of these areas we feel that we are very reasonably priced.

Some of our larger enclosure have more than one sign on them, however it is true that most of our enclosures only have one sign, however from a financail point of view and to minimise viewing restrictions this is fairly common practice.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This Park has vastly improved since the change in ownership and I have invested in the annual pass. Situated just outside Canterbury in beautiful part of The Garden of England. There is ample parking and you cross a small road to the entrance (those with children be aware this is a road as it isn't obvious) I love the pond at the front it is full of carp and terrapins but if you look properly there is often grass snakes basking/swimming. There is a cafe in the entrance and having eaten there I don't feel it is value for money and so take a flask and pic nic with me and sit at one of the many tables available. For a small park there is amazingly a large selection of animals on view, many in new attractive enclosures with an improvement programme in place for the older enclosures. Two playful hand reared tigers who like to entertain and will come to the front of the enclosure so you are face to face with these majestic animals. There are a couple of male rescue Lions, pumas, jaguars, primates, a European wolf pack rather than the usual grey. The penguin pool would make a lovely swimming pool and the chap gives a good presentation. The reptile house is well stocked although some of the exhibits are a bit tired. Some nice crocs and enough serpents and lizards to excite the majority of people with tortoises sharing with the Macaws. You are able to buy food at the entrance to feed goats donkey etc and I have watched many squealing child enjoy the interaction. The parrot house has a collection of talking and some friendly birds. i have travelled and visited many zoological parks, safaris, around the globe and would stress to the purist this is a Wildlife Park as some animals are hybrids and rescued circus animals and although some of the animals have young there does not appear to be a breeding programme in place.
The only critism I have is that the staff really could benefit with some training. I have asked some questions and the answers have convinced me that they haven't got a clue. Except for the young lady (I am sorry I don't know your name) who was blowing bubbles for the cappucins. She knew what she was talking about and joined in with the conversation telling us about her babies and the enrichment she provides and obviously enjoyed her work.
It's not perhaps a whole day but enough there to leave after seeing enough

1  Thank Slos40

Dear Slos40,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review, I am sure a lot of people will appreciate your advice. We are shortly going to be re-building the cafe at the front of the park and we hope that it will make a much more comfortable eating experience, however as you mentioned there are plenty of place to picnic as an alternative!

We have a very wide variety of animals at the park and I am glad that you enjoyed seeing them. We actually enjoy a great number of successful breeding programmes at the park, having some of the most productive groups of Red Ruffed lemurs, Black and White Ruffed lemurs and Ring Tailed Lemurs in Europe, as well as successfuly breeding Vervet monkeys, Humboldts Penguins, Tifted Capuchins, Vietnamese Pheasants (one of the worlds rarest), Galah Cockatoos, Goeldies Monkeys and many more!

I am glad that you were able to have a conversation with one of the keepers while she was doing some enrichment work with the animals, and I hope that you will return and listen to a few more of our animal talks, which i am sure will change your mind about the knowledge posessed by our keepers - someting we are very proud of our animal care staff for!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I live about 15mins from Wingham Wildlife Park and it is my favourite place to visit. I am animal mad and love how hands-on you can get with some of the animals and how close you get to the bigger animals (tigers, Binx the puma etc). I think the prices are really good, especially living close as the year ticket pays for itself in 3 visits. They do some excellent experience days, including Keeper for a Day which I've done myself and it's really good! Animals are always well cared for and there are regularly new animals brought to the park, most recently a Red Panda, Tapir and some more Big Cats. Excellent park, and keepers that obviously love their job and love their animals and are always happy to answer any questions you may have! Highly recommended 10/10.

Dear Sian W,

Thank you very much for the kind words, it is great to hear how much you enjoy our park... Especially since you are able to take advantage of our season tickets, being a local resident!

There have been a lot of changes over the past couple of years in regards to the animal collection, as you have mentioned, but there is still a lot more to come and I hope that we will continue to see you come to the park to watch us grow even further.

many thanks