“Would have top marks if with attached baths”

Kawaguchiko Station Inn
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Would have top marks if with attached baths”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Hostel - so no attached bathrooms. Great base for exploring Kawaguchi-ko area. Our room had a view of Mt Fuji sunrise. :-)

Staff also speak some English and they have super recommendations for izakaya. We went to Tori Yaki on the first night (minimal English) and one which was close by (cannot remember the name, no English). In both cases, we managed to get by with a bit of pointing, and some really basic Japanese words to order yakitori. If you don't know any, I would ask the hostel staff to give you a few (8-10) words with which to order different types of yakitori.

Location on Tripadvisor GPS is correct - it is directly opposite the railway station. For those driving, the parking adjacent to the hostel belongs to the bank for ATM customers, but one can unload there, then ask the hostel for a parking lot (about 80m further down the road).

Don't think I'd repeat my stay as my friend really has a preference for attached baths, but certainly would not mind asking them for the sketch map showing where to go for izakaya (none of them on Tripadvisor).

Room Tip: Rooms facing Mount Fuji get to wake up to a Mount Fuji sunrise :-)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Maybe it's luck of the draw but our room had probably the best view you could imagine if looking to stay in Kawaguchiko. As soon as we woke up in the morning, the first thing we saw was Mount Fuji staring right back at us. If you're unlucky enough to get a room facing in a different direction, don't despair: the onsen on the top floor also offers the lovely view of this gorgeous mountain. The room is quite simple but it's not too expensive and we were more than willing to pay the slight extra for being able to go into the onsen every morning. The location is about a 5 minute walk from the lake and a 30 second walk from the station. We also decided to try the Japanese breakfast for 700 yen which was worth every bit and we enjoyed it that much we decided to have it both mornings. Also very friendly staff. A lovely place to relax after a day of walking.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I went here at the end of climbing season for Mt Fuji so it was busy but the hostel gives you lots of space for your luggage etc in the dorm rooms. Most people were either pre or post climb so the hostel was very quiet. People were either nervous or exhausted. I climbed MT Fuji 16 years ago so I was just visiting the surrounding area which the hostel is perfectly positioned for. It is close to the station where you can get convenient transport from to visit all the different sites.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I went to Kakaguchiko Station Inn last year. The hotel was very nice and clean. Although we had to share bathroom and toilet, it's still ok. I've never expected that the hotel would be nice like this. This is more than I expected. I will definitely stay at Kawaguchiko station Inn again if I go to Japan. In summary, the hotel is very nice with reasonable price!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed for one night in the dorm, the beds are comfy with plenty of space between beds. The inn is located right in front of the train station/bus stop so whether you take the bus from Shinjuku in Tokyo or the train from elsewhere, it's really easy to find. Since the bus stop is right in front of the inn, it's really easy to get to all the local attractions, including the buses that goes to the fifth station of Mt. Fuji.

The owner and his staff are very nice and they can all speak really good English. The owner may seem a bit cool at first but he is very helpful and patient even though everyone keeps asking the same questions. I had the feeling that the owner is more knowledgeable than the guys in the tourist information centre across the road, especially when it comes to info about climbing Mt. Fuji. He also let me leave my backpack in the inn for an extra night for free. This may come in handy for those who wants to climb Mt. Fuji during the night.

Not the cheapest in the area but considering its excellent location and service, the rates are reasonable. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would recommend this Inn to other travellers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank akcc05
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel. The hotel very closed to train station, just cross the road!
The all staff very lovely and they're can speak Thai! (My native langue). I'm very impress for the staff because they help me to carry my bag (over 20 kg!) (no elevator).
Cost effectiveness the hotel provide hot spring (on zen) with Fuji-san with complimentary!
But you need to pay for breakfast.

Room Tip: No comment for this tip because I'm fail to book double room, it's fully booked!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights. Take a train to kawaguchiko station and you will see the inn across the road.
The owner's family stays in the inn and they are all very nice. I got an upgrade to a room that faced Mount Fuji. I manage to see Mount Fuji everyday.
The owner is very kind and introduce to me place of attractions and also discounts for these places.
The inn has a 7-11 convenience store nearby and you can get food.
I will surely recommend this place if you want to see mount fuji.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends