“Amazing, Unique Museum”

Private Half-Day Mt. Fuji and Surrounding Area Tour
$350.00*
Private Day Tour: Mt. Fuji Highlights from Kawaguchiko
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I did not expect to enjoy seeing hand dye-tied silk kimonos with scenes of Japan but this place is extraordinary. The introductory video in English helped us understand that Kubota is no longer living but had an amazing career as an artist. The display is wonderful but photography is not permitted and I wanted to take photos of the kimonos.

The teahouse is a great place to end the tour with a beautiful view of the forest and a pool behind the museum. The building itself is a work of art that seems to rise from the ground as a natural wonder. We walked the trail behind afterward and enjoyed the beautiful outdoor scenery with many Japanese maples turning red in the fall. I would go back and enjoy it again.

3  Thank tembo45

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We visited this museum based on reviews I had read. The art work on the kimonos was amazing. We watched video in English to start with to give us a background.My husband and 2 teenage boys enjoyed it as much. Nice place for peaceful cuppa.

1  Thank Miln4558
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I can't say it any better than "RebelVirgina" did in their review. I agree whole heartedly with what they had to say. I strongly urge you, if you have any interest in beautiful kimonos, fabric in general, etc. to visit this museum. There is a small gift shop and cafe as well. I have been to the museum twice and had lunch in the cafe on my first visit. The pizza was nothing to write home about but it was OK. There is a beautiful garden behind the museum that I missed on my first visit, so check it out.

My first visit was in April 2013 and my second was in June 2013 but the same kimonos were on display for both of my visits. I want to return in the summer, fall, and winter so that I can see the rest of the collection.

1  Thank Pugmama-san
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hand-crafted kimonos on display are the most beautiful in the world, typically depicting Japanese landscapes and the changing of seasons. The museum owns about 90 of Kubota's kimonos, with about a third typically on display at any given time, so the offerings rotate regularly. The detail of these evocative kimonos has to be seen to be believed. The building itself is worthy of note, and is a fascinating study of beautifully crafted wooden joints and architecture. The adjacent gardens are also well done, and the walk up to the museum from parking is quite serene.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

One of the best museums i have ever visited, an amazing building housing the most beautiful kimonos with brilliant colours and textures, They have a good english video to explain the techniques used in the making of the kimonos. A must see on any trip to the Fuji region