“Solo boarding trip to the awesome Zillertal Valley”

Bluebird Mountain Hostel
London, England, United Kingdom
“Solo boarding trip to the awesome Zillertal Valley”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I decided to stay in this hostel due to reviews I read about it. From the start it was clear that I had made the right decision.

Chrissy, the very helpful and friendly manager of the hostel was super helpfull in all her correspondences, recommending stuff and useful connections for my trip. She even gave me a lift from the train station. So I got there and to my delight I was greeted by 2 very friendly french mountain dogs who are well behaved and very cute. The rooms were super clean and cosy in that particular style you can only find in the Tirol "Gemutlichkiet" I think is the german word for the atmosphere there.

I was traveling solo which can be a bit daunting but everyone was so friendly I didn't mind at all the whole time. Had some nice beers and jagertee's on the evenings. Fully stocked kitchen for cooking your own food and the breakfasts were very tasty. They even made me food at the crack of dawn as I like to be the first on the piste on powder days.

A ski bus takes you to and from the local resort of Hoch Zillertal or you can take a train from their to nearby Mayrhofen.

Im very pleased with my time there and this is honestly one of the best hostels I have stayed in in the alps and I have stayed in many. I highly recommend it to anone one who is going to the Zillertal region in the winter or summer.

Alex

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have just come back from my skiing trip to Austria and I wish I could have stayed longer. The hostel has a great, chilled atmosphere. It is run by lovely, young people and the views from the hostel are "literally" breathtaking. The hostel is well equipped and always spotless clean. There is loads of woodwork in bedrooms which makes it very cozy. As we did ski a lot we had early morning starts everyday to catch 8am ski bus. Breakfast is a real treat, such a variety of cereal, bread, cheese, sausages, and much more. The coffee was a proper "Guten Tag" thing and a lifesaver!
I would definitely stay there again!
Even if I wanted to I could not think of any drawbacks... There are 2 beatiful and clever dogs in the house that are happy to play but are not a trouble if you are not interested.
Overall, great experience!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Myself and nine friends stayed at this hotel. The place is up in the mountains with beautiful views but the ski bus which the staff have passes for comes past every morning to take you to the resort kaltenbach and run hourly back and forth until half six. Otherwise a taxi is needed to get back into town or if your feeling active its about a hour or so walk. snowboarding excellent and if you wanted a bigger resort meinhoffen is half an hr by train. The staff are really friendly and fun and make you feel really welcome. The breakfast islovely with enough to make lunch too. Lots of eggs, bread, cereals, cheeses and meat if you like it too. The hostel sellbeer and various knitted hats etc. I would definitely stay again. Beautiful place, lovely staff, authentic lodge and lots of space to hang out with friends in the balcony or in the kitchen. :-)

• Stayed January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stumbled across this hostel early in 2012 and enjoyed our time there so much that we returned again in December. Both times we stayed for a week and loved it!

The hostel is located up on the hillside in Gattererberg (Opposite Kaltenbach, Zillertal Region Austria). Its location nestled amongst many traditional farms makes the stay here pleasant and away from the hustle and bustle of the 'commercial' ski area.

The first time we came here we drove here, which was easy and there was plenty of parking available but you do need to carry chains up the mountain. The second time we took public transport and found Zillertal to be well connected to Innsbruck (2 trains that connect). There is a mountain bus that leaves fairly regularly during winter from the train station as well as from ski lift and drops you at the door of the hostel. Each day we took the mountain bus to the lift and was easy and convenient.

We have stayed in two rooms in this ~ 5 room hostel - both were very clean and more than enough bedding provided. The beds are fantastic, perfect after a long day of skiing / boarding! Two super hot showers easily cater for the hostel.

The best way to describe the hostel is like staying with a bunch of friends in a mountain cottage. There is a big communal kitchen which everything revolves around. The kitchen is well fit out with everything that could be needed, and if you elect to have the breakfast - it is fantastic! Often the hostel owners (a young couple) will make up some gluhwine, coffees or dinner for the hostel.

This hostel is highly recommended for people who want to explore the Zillertal region but stay in a nice cosy relaxed hostel nestled up on the mountain side. It is well equipped and the owners are very friendly. We will be back again in 2013!

ASIDE: Buy some of the hostel shoes that are knitted by one of the owners... I use them around my house at home... they are amazingly warm!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I recently stayed here for 2 nights early winter 2012. The surroundings were beautiful set up on a peaceful mountain village. I arrived and was not sure whether i was in the right place as many of the local houses have a very similar traditional design and character which is great as i was looking for a more homely type environment. The hostel is located quite high up in the mountains overlooking the valley, the hostel was difficult to find at first but with help from locals i eventually found my way via public transport links which are limited but available.
The decor inside is warm and homely, some nice touches were the local made textiles and crafts in various rooms, I especially liked the big throwover bedspread which was included on the dorm bed which kept me very warm, almost too warm during the night.
The hostel has a feel of staying with family or with flatmates, almost everything is based upon social activity in communal rooms which are the only real place to hang out in the hostel, some will love this, others may prefer a less social environment, after a while it does get tiring especially after a long day trying to keep up with a 10 person conversation around the main table, the dorm room itself though was spacious and a good place to retreat and relax in the afternoon. I did like the social atmosphere but unlike some trips in the past, my stay was short and i was staying in the area not for a holiday or travel/backpacking so the social aspect was different for me and i needed more time for peace rather than being sociable which i did feel at times was a litte difficult to balance without looking unsociable. The hostel does not have many facilities but everything you will need in the location such as bathroom,kitchen,internet,ski/board storage. The shower is nice and warm with plenty of toiletries, The fridge is stocked with beer available to buy and the staff are on hand to be of service most of the day and also prepare food in the afternoon or upon request if you wish to eat in (communal meals) . The hostel also has two dogs which are very friendly and well behaved, But something to be aware of if you are allergic or do not like to share common space with animals. I think the value overall was great, The quality of the dorm room was great with 4 individual single beds well spaced in a big character room with wooden beam floors and comfy furnishings, a lodge or chalet with similar spec would cost 2 or 3x more for the entire room. The hostel is very clean and warm, I would imagine during a busier period there would probably be more of a lack of space but overall there was never really a feeling of getting in anyones way or waiting around for bathrooms etc. The location is great although not entirely practical for the local zillertal-arena ski resort, But for the price there is always a compromise. Overall nice place, great value, go enjoy the mountains!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo