“Not bad for a short stay”

Ibis Budget St Peters
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in St Peters
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Very small room, had no tea/coffee facilities there was a shared microwave and fridge in the hallway. Bathroom was also very small. Positives was that it was clean, warm and the service was lovely, with the gentleman at the front desk helping with our luggage.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank jkateh
There are newer reviews for Ibis Budget St Peters

Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Thank you so much to the staff of this hotel for making up for what was a terrible experience at another ibis hotel. Our children really enjoyed the stay with a fun gentleman on reception. Although rooms are small, they are very clean with services on rooms done daily. Will be back for sure!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Alleymorris
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Saw a lot of bad reviews before we went. However, our experiences were a good one and will definitely go back again. The place is value for money and good location. We enjoyed our stay (for 3 nights) there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank NGUITEA
Reviewed April 12, 2013

There are just two bits of positive news about this low-end hotel.

1. Room, towels and bed linen were clean in my case.

2. Its easy to decide whether or not to stay. If you don't have transport and *have* to be in the immediate area then stay, otherwise go elsewhere. Don't even consider staying. The other airport hotels *must* be better than this place. I gave it two stars because although its old my room was clean and tidy and I was happy enough to stay for two nights. A one star I would have just left.

This place is so old and lacking in amenities it should really be called something like "One Star Super Budget Hostel". Everything in my room, apart from the towels, bed linen, clock radio and flat screen TV must have been 20 years old. Hotel was maybe fitted out in 1980 and little done since except new paint.

Rooms are small, maybe 3m x 6m. External view is KFC drive thru (immediately to the right) and McDonalds drive thru (immediately to the left). Much noise in the evening from them, plus the noise from the busy road at the front.

The sink is in the room next to the bed and not inside the plastic box which houses the en-suite toilet and shower.

Air-conditioner, like everything else in the room is very old and noisy. Bring serious ear plugs if you want it on. It had been cranked it up to full before I arrived so room was like a fridge.

There are few facilities in the rooms. No wardrobe, no fridge, no kettle, no iron, no phone - and in my case no plug for the sink. There has been a cheap attempt at updating the rooms with some panelling above the desk, a flat screen TV and a clock radio.

The corridor has a fridge and microwave in an alcove. This is where my fellow guests congregated chatting loudly, making calls and cooking until late in the evening, and started again early. Fortunately my room was a little up the corridor, must be much worse for the rooms right by it.

There was something odd about the guests on the nights I stayed. Normally hotels are quiet as the guests are all in ones and twos. Here, many seemed to know each other. This meant that there was many groups talking, cooking together etc. Perhaps this place acts as bulk accommodation for a local language school? It certainly added a lot to the overall noise level.

Reception staff are friendly but scary looking 'nightclub bouncer' style in the evenings so don't expect a professional welcome, although one politely called me Sir. Reception not manned at all after 10pm. The key piece of info they impart is that shower room doors MUST be closed when in use otherwise it sets the hotel fire alarm off (!). This info is repeated on the key-card slip, and again on a sign in the room. I guess it gets tedious for them.

In conclusion I am genuinely surprised that a chain like Accor would associate with this property. Honestly, it has damaged the brand for me. We choose big brands because, normally, it's an easy way to guarantee a better service. Not the case here. This property is just too old and run down to be part of a major chain. Unless you *really* have no other choice, avoid.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2013

For a budget hotel it's a good spot close to airport and venues its a favorite for touring bands on a budgets,It's only a short walk to Newtown and Marrickville is close by taxi,no problems with parking and its quite secure with helpful people on the desk when it's staffed

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We arrived at the hotel only to find that they had lost our reservation! I had my reservation number with me & was able to tell them the exact date & time I made the booking. The gentleman said that it simply must have been an error with their computer system & that they were completely booked for that night. We were only able to get a room because a couple walked in after us and cancelled their reservation. We walked in to find the tiniest room I have ever seen. The toilet and shower were on one side of the room and felt like you were in a port-a-loo / port-a-shower, and the sink was on the other side of the room. We were advised that if we took a shower to make sure we closed the door so the steam would not set off the Smoke Alarm, the water was luke warm at best, there was no steam at all. The rest of the room was fairly tidy for a budget hotel however on close inspection the walls could do with washing / painting & the smell of the whole place was not very pleasant. I have stayed in a few ibis budget hotels & this one is by far the worst.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Absolutely disgusting.This place is completely filthy. I'm a travel agent, and I have also stayed in hostels and hotels all over the world and never have I stayed at a place with this level of uncleanliness and poor customer service. Do not stay here.

We booked last minute as had a flight the next day and dropped our stuff off before going out to dinner. After returning we took the time to have a proper look at the room. There was a huge dirty hand print on the wall, the shower was full of hair and dirt, there was scum in the corner of the bathroom and dust absolutely everywhere. I refused to even shower because it was so disgusting.

We were on the side of the hotel next to McDonalds, and as it was a hot night we wanted to put the air conditioning on. After looking at the filthy air conditioner we decided against it as the last thing we needed was more dirt and dust floating around the room.
Because we had to leave the window open, neither of us got any sleep all night thanks to all the people using the drive through all night, and the trucks parked outside. At 12pm I went down to the check in counter to ask for another room. No one was there.

I literally got no sleep all night. We paid $100 and left as soon as we could the next morning completely exhausted. If we had driven home to Kiama and back we would have got more sleep.

Before leaving I made a complaint and took the girl at check in back to the room to take a look. She agreed that it was really bad and said she would have the manager ring me that day. I waited two days before ringing back, and got someone else at the desk who told me it was my fault and that I should have asked for a new room earlier. I then left about 4 messages for the manager over the course of the week. I was never contacted.

I have a friend who had the number of the Accor rep, so I also rang them and they accidentally got the manager at the formula one to call me instead. That guy was lovely, but once again no one from Ibis Budget St Peters ever got back to me.

While I was stuck in this hellish room I was tweeting about my experience (I have a travel blog), and six days later I was contacted by someone on twitter and asked to send through the details of my stay by email. I did this, and was once again not contacted.

So basically our room was dirty, full of bugs and incredibly noisy, and not only did we not get any sleep all night, but I never even received an apology for my bad experience. DO NOT STAY HERE. There are plenty of great hotels near the airport that are both clean and inexpensive. This is not one of them.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Inner South
Central Railway Hotel
Central Railway Hotel
#50 of 178 in Sydney

Been to Ibis Budget St Peters? Share your experiences!